Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Since you mention petrol, I'm assuming you mean fuel costs. I'm averaging 48mpg, up here unleaded is about £1.15/litre just now so 500 miles of fun costs me roughly £55.

I tried super unleaded but didn't see any gains in performance, smoothness or mileage.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Depends on driving style type of roads etc surely...

I get 450 miles to £40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does of course, mine is a mixture of A class country roads and city driving, nothing mad, rarely above 65mph.

Using my rough calcs and fuel price you're getting roughly 58mpg, that's impressive.

Phil, 500-600 miles a week sounds quite a lot, i.e. 24-28k per annum, and the kind of mileage people would normally say merits a deisel.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It does of course, mine is a mixture of A class country roads and city driving, nothing mad, rarely above 65mph.

Using my rough calcs and fuel price you're getting roughly 58mpg, that's impressive.

Phil, 500-600 miles a week sounds quite a lot, i.e. 24-28k per annum, and the kind of mileage people would normally say merits a deisel.

Agreed. Diesel would make sense.

Over those type of roads I imagine I'd get mid 40s

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is that I have a f56 cooper diesel at the moment. I've done 55k miles in just over 2 years m and having loads of issues with the engine coking up, engine management light warning, feeling rough as a drunk dog. It's probably down to the nature of my work teaching people to drive. Loads of stop start, average 20mph and only the occasional blast down the nsl roads. The engine must never get hot enough so the DPF is probably knackering everything.
Other reasons are I've had the cooper for extended loan manual and automatic and at low speeds they are just so much nicer smoother quieter and ultimately easier to control which is where I spend most of my time.
Other thing is I'm not happy with the environmental aspect of running a diesel with all this talk of dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide, banning them, losing value even though I lease.
Lastly as I only average 51ish mpg in a cooper d so if I put my price up £1 a lesson I'll cover the cost and be happier.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 1.5 Cooper Automatic is averaging 40mpg. To put that in perspective, my R56 Cooper Diesel (manual) averaged 58mpg, with aircon permanently on, stop-start off, & with unnecessarily hard acceleration.

I don't begrudge the increased fuel consumption of the F56 petrol Cooper ... it's a significantly quicker, smoother, better-sounding & more refined car.

I enjoyed owning the diesel Cooper, but I'm never going back to diesel power.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
7 miles each way a day with a 25 mile round trip at weekends-so not long enough really-45mpg easily 48 if i drove like a saint, 40 if i thrashed it in sport mode!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
The thing is that I have a f56 cooper diesel at the moment. I've done 55k miles in just over 2 years m and having loads of issues with the engine coking up, engine management light warning, feeling rough as a drunk dog. It's probably down to the nature of my work teaching people to drive. Loads of stop start, average 20mph and only the occasional blast down the nsl roads. The engine must never get hot enough so the DPF is probably knackering everything.
Other reasons are I've had the cooper for extended loan manual and automatic and at low speeds they are just so much nicer smoother quieter and ultimately easier to control which is where I spend most of my time.
Other thing is I'm not happy with the environmental aspect of running a diesel with all this talk of dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide, banning them, losing value even though I lease.
Lastly as I only average 51ish mpg in a cooper d so if I put my price up £1 a lesson I'll cover the cost and be happier.
Thanks for your input.

Mmm interesting. For perspective when I do start stop traffic driving normally in London I rarely get above mid to high 30s.

If I was doing 25k miles a year I'd get the diesel and burn the DPF once a month.

I do get what you're saying about he cooper being a nicer car, as you say being both smoother and quieter. But for me I recon you'll struggle to get the economy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys and girls. The issue as well how much extra a month lease wise would the diesel cooper be? My cooper diesel is just coughing and coughing, averaging 50.8 mpg. BMW say they need it for 2 days for de-coking? That's 2 days work so could potentially lose almost £340. That's already half a year petrol difference.

I've been doing the going on a motorway once a month, keeping it in 4th gear at 70mph malarkey for 20mins. Wasting at least a tenner a month to no avail. Shouldn't need to do this with a modern, always thinking it's gonna break down.

It looks like ive made my mind up, people may think I'm mad, but there are so many factors cost wise to consider that I believe i am looking at the bigger picture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.