Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, no wise cracks, this is a geniune query..

The last couple of cars I have owned I haven't really cared a great deal about the paintwork and therefore usually take it for a handwash or power wash it myself...

Given I now have lovely black metallic paint I don't really want it to end up with the classic circular markings that is often the case with quick wash downs...

So, if I were to head to Halfords (or similar approved) to buy myself some products what should I go for any how should I approach cleaning my mini??

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you don't want swirls the the need to use 'safe' wash techniques.

A basic summary, and what I use.

1, Start with a snow foam and rinse, this removes most of the unbound dirt, and for most people would say the car is clean it this stage.
2, wash with the 2 bucket method (2bm), with a lambs mitt. One bucket to rinse the mitt, and one with wash water. Have stone guards in the buckets.
3, rinse
4, dry with drying towel, place the towel on the panel pat and remove, don't drag or rub.

Don't use a sponge or a leather, they are evils

Plenty of info on detailing world forum.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Buy a blower & dry with it as much as possible. I have MBM so I know how to minimize swirls. Remember the least you rub on the paint for any reason the better! I use a duster to remove light dust & I'm very careful with that as well. And don't let anybody make you feel bad because you bought a black MINI! All paints can get swirl marks, they just show easier on dark colors. When clean black is awesome! ?

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look up Ammo Car Care, out of New York, not sure about their products but there is a tone of helpful advice. I washed my Mini today (for the first time) using there steps and it looks amazing. Good Luck !

·
Registered
12 Posts
With my A45 I had paint protection done professionally not by the dealers I used Cquartz once done the colours of the car look great, all you need then is to do as the lads say above and then use reload spray once every few months. The car will gleem even after a wash with snow foam and mitt, it also protects the paint with an additional layer from swirls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
To make the paint remain in its prestine condition, you must put a protection coat on it and a good one. The air we drive through can be dusty, when drivig at high speeds through dusty air will be abrasive to the paint. No matter how carefull you are with washing it, driving it can damage the paint just as much.
If your willing to spend hours cleaning your pride and joy, you need to also understand what could cause damage to your paint apart from yourself.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It all depends on how much you want to spend and how long you want spend on it!

Good quality snowfoam, wash mitt, shampoo, polish and wax is all you need to start off with. Better the products, better the results. Also better products are less time consuming. Start small, with the basics and add to that. Twice yearly decontamination and protection is all a new car should need. A lot of us just ENJOY the process, getting away from the wife perhaps, enjoying a nice day outside.

I hope my guide helps, and doesn't baffle you more. Its only intended to show people the way and processes, what you use is up to you ?

Reactions: Unkle Paulie

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Mmm conned in to it on our roadster; it's good but not that good. The muck just comes off a teeny bit easier! (and i mean teeny-if you wax your car fairly regularly i'd say there's no difference in the a glaze!) G tech seem to be a cut above i have to say!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go to youtube and search "gary dean wash method". I started using it for quick washes when the car wasn't that dirty a few years ago, but now I use it for everything short of heavy caked mud. If the car is heavily soiled, I'll do a foam rinse in the yard before bringing it back into the carport for the rinse-less wash. I also stick with more traditional methods for wheel cleaning as apposed to Gary Dean's way.

For rinseless wash, you can use :
infinite use detail juice
optimum no rinse
adam's rinseless wash
I'm sure there are more, but these are the only ones I've tried.

For a drying aid, I was using Meguiars synthetic express wax, but I recently switched to Kenotek Showroom Shine Anti-Static Detail Spray. The Megs offers better protection, but since my car is coated, any sealers\waxes wash off pretty easy anyway.

Also, consider having your car professionally coated if you want that black paint to stay pristine.

·
Registered
646 Posts
How I do a standard wash of my Midnight Black Cooper...

1. Demonshine degreaser all over, leave for up to 5 mins.
2. Rinse with pressure washer
3. Snowfoam with my Karcher pressure washer using Juicy Details snowfoam
4. Leave for 5 mins
5. Rinse with pressure washer
5a. Apply wheel cleaner, brush, rinse with pressure washer
6. Wash with lambs wool mitt and Dodo Juice shampoo using the aforementioned 2 bucket method.
7. Rinse with pressure washer
8. Dry using most absorbent towel you can find on the market!
9. Windows cleans with RainX cleaner
10. Clean and dress plastic trim
11. Autosol metal polish for the exhaust tip

That takes me about one hour. Obviously there are other times when I add in the following...

A. Use carbon collective clay mitt (same result as a clay bar but so much quicker, easier and more cost effective)
B. Polish with Dodo Juice Lime Prime (will get a better polish when I need one - but it's only 2 months old!)
C. Wax - I use the Mini hard wax at the moment but will move back to Dodo Juice Purple Haze soon as that used to bring up my black Polo a treat
D. Interior

I've probably missed something but you get the point!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I too use dodo juice purple haze-roof of mine, and whole of the black roadster; it not only does a lovely job but smells divine . Getting ready for another coat!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its so refreshing to see so many people who like to take care of their mini's!

Thank you all for the advice and tips...

Off to make a number of purchase to ensure my mini looks the best on the block ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
How I do a standard wash of my Midnight Black Cooper...

1. Demonshine degreaser all over, leave for up to 5 mins.
2. Rinse with pressure washer
3. Snowfoam with my Karcher pressure washer using Juicy Details snowfoam
4. Leave for 5 mins
5. Rinse with pressure washer
5a. Apply wheel cleaner, brush, rinse with pressure washer
6. Wash with lambs wool mitt and Dodo Juice shampoo using the aforementioned 2 bucket method.
7. Rinse with pressure washer
8. Dry using most absorbent towel you can find on the market!
9. Windows cleans with RainX cleaner
10. Clean and dress plastic trim
11. Autosol metal polish for the exhaust tip

That takes me about one hour. Obviously there are other times when I add in the following...

A. Use carbon collective clay mitt (same result as a clay bar but so much quicker, easier and more cost effective)
B. Polish with Dodo Juice Lime Prime (will get a better polish when I need one - but it's only 2 months old!)
C. Wax - I use the Mini hard wax at the moment but will move back to Dodo Juice Purple Haze soon as that used to bring up my black Polo a treat
D. Interior

I've probably missed something but you get the point!
My 4 month old Midnight Black JCW paintwork surface felt a bit rough when I waxed a couple of days ago, especially around the lower front bumper and doors.
Must have winter contaminants attached already.
Will give this Carbon Collective clay mitt a go to see how it works.
Thank you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My 4 month old Midnight Black JCW paintwork surface felt a bit rough when I waxed a couple of days ago, especially around the lower front bumper and doors.
Must have winter contaminants attached already.
Will give this Carbon Collective clay mitt a go to see how it works.
Thank you.
It's amazing, do half the bonnet and rub your hand across the whole thing - the results are so good. Just remember to treat it like a clay bar and keep it lubricated at all times!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts