Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble figuring out why I can't skip to the next track or go backwards to the last track using the controls on the steering wheel when playing audio via bluetooth from my cell phone. My old infiniti did it just fine, and it seems to work in just about every car that has bluetooth streaming. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Mine skips track using android on sporting but I can't move between playlists albums just up one track or back. Samsung galaxy s3 and specify. Album art or track name don't work either. Software issues I suppose. What you using?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My steering wheel controls actually work better using bluetooth than when I use the onboard hard drive. Pushing the down arrow shows me what track would be next and then I can select OK to choose it, or push down again to see the next one. When using the HDD, it just sends me to the next track on the list, alphabetically even when I have it on random. If I use the seek arrows on my stereo I go to the next random track.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
For Bluetooth audio, it depends on what app you're using. What phone are you using?

On the iPhone, I've noticed the steering wheel controls work with the standard Apple Music app. You can scroll through your songs and select using the wheel controls and the instrument display. If you try and change tracks with a 3rd party app, it says "Not Possible". The left/right arrows below the screen will work, however.

I think this is because of the new functionality the steering wheel controls have - you can scroll through a list of songs and select the one to skip to without having to skip track by track. However, this must not work with 3rd party apps, so instead of defaulting to standard "forward track"/"back track" commands, it simply says "Not Possible".

Reactions: SirAlec

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this is because of the new functionality the steering wheel controls have - you can scroll through a list of songs and select the one to skip to without having to skip track by track. However, this must not work with 3rd party apps, so instead of defaulting to standard "forward track"/"back track" commands, it simply says "Not Possible".
Yes, I think this is the culprit. I'm on an Android phone and there's no "default music app" on android like with iPhone. When my girl streams music to the car we even see the album art show up on the center screen. Unfortunate that I have to touch the phone to change the track now, but so it goes.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yes, I think this is the culprit. I'm on an Android phone and there's no "default music app" on android like with iPhone. When my girl streams music to the car we even see the album art show up on the center screen. Unfortunate that I have to touch the phone to change the track now, but so it goes.
You should be able to use the arrows below the center display to change tracks. I believe those buttons just send "forward track" "back track" signals to the phone instead of the fancy stuff the steering wheel tries to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be able to use the arrows below the center display to change tracks. I believe those buttons just send "forward track" "back track" signals to the phone instead of the fancy stuff the steering wheel tries to do.
Yeah! This did the trick! The steering wheel controls seem to be for the mini display on the tach/speedo cluster. The left/right arrows in the center stack work for changing tracks. Guess I'll just have to reach over a little further.

Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi,
I have an intermittent issue with the steering wheel controls and my iphone 5 running the latest IOS (8.1.2) and skipping tracks. Usually it works, but something triggers it to stop working. What it does is move the 'arrow' to the next or previous track as it should, but when I hit the OK button, it does not actually change track. The hard buttons under the main display work as they should. If I switch off and on my iphone it then works for a while.
This definitely didn't happen when i first got my Cooper back in July, running IOS7, and I am sure it worked OK when IOS8 came out. I first noticed it a few IOS sub-versions after launch.
I have Media XL, full bluetooth and MFSW and I have just does a vehicle software update today. Anyone else seen this issue?
Texy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just to update with an observation, my S used to do this, screen buttons work, steering wheel buttons wouldn't. I've since got a JCW with HUD and the buttons work. However if I fold the HUD away the buttons return to the same behaviour of the S. Quite strange!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts