Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blazing red with white mirror and roof Mini Cooper and the roof was hit by a roof tile after a strong wind. Linked pics. I thought the brown streak was mud but couldn't get it off with washing or claying. Any DIY advice on how to fix these huge and deep scratches on the white roof and black pillar. Several products appear but can't seem to choose one. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a blazing red with white mirror and roof Mini Cooper and the roof was hit by a roof tile after a strong wind. Linked pics. I thought the brown streak was mud but couldn't get it off with washing or claying. Any DIY advice on how to fix these huge and deep scratches on the white roof and black pillar. Several products appear but can't seem to choose one. Thanks.
Oh man! They are NASTY stratches :(

As another contributor has suggested, your dealer can order you in a paint kit based on your VIN that will be a perfect colour match. The kit contains both the base colour and the clear cote.

BUT I'm note sure how great a result you're going to get from going down the DIY path with those little brushes on such a large number of scratches. Remember, unless you're very short, you're always going to notice the roof of a MINI and you'll be able to see your handiwork each time. I think I'd be inclined to speak with a body shop about a respray of the roof.

And that brown against that white roof....

DJ

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'd probably try a temporary fix just to ease the pain of such damage! Too bad. There are ways to do a fix with pretty good results without completely respraying the roof (but that might be best)! Maybe a good body shop could do a nice repair without a complete respray?

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Farecla scratch remover then colour restorer may do these. Worth a go before you go for a respray.looks more like tile colour on the paid rather than lost paint .good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
@Klent - your 2nd pic shows a deep long scratch that justifies a respray. However a machine abrasive polish with a random orbit tool, like professional detail shop uses, will probably make it less noticeable. The brown discoloration will come off with polishing too. If you try this yourself don't over do it as the clearcoat needs to stay intact as much as possible.

I second fradaj's Quixx recommendation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Wd40 was able to remove the brown rust smears and the Scratchwizard kits have been helpful covering the aspen white roof. For the black frame I just let it be. Not really attracts attention but can be seen only on very close and careful inspection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.