Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone :)

So, I just bought a new MCS mid May; Moonwalk Grey, white roof & 18" white rims, park assist, sun roof and a few more options :)

Since I ordered the car in another country (so I haven't met the sales rep), what's the best way to try to negotiate a few accessories? This is really not my forte so any tips & suggestions would be appreciated :D

What were you able to negotiate when you ordered your F56?

Thanks!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm interested in this too becaue I'm hopeless at haggling. I buy cars so infrequently I must be their dream customer... falling for all the tricks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm interested in this too becaue I'm hopeless at haggling. I buy cars so infrequently I must be their dream customer... falling for all the tricks.
Same here :) I have absolutely no idea of what I can ask for... and eventually end up getting. A real mind scratcher for me :confused:

·
Registered
340 Posts
On new cars, there's very little room for negotiation, as the price is set by the factory.

Therefore it is usually easier to negotiate with your trade in or to get the dealer to throw in some accessories....but sometimes this will be things like accessories from the brochure, such as spot lamps.

I tend to shop around a couple of dealers, then play them off against each other.....just make sure it's not two dealers from the same franchise!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had an interesting time! I took a test drive, got a best price from one dealer and then played off against two other local dealers. Unfortunately they couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything. I then went online and ordered via a car broker and had a great deal on the purchase of the car.

The part ex they offered was poor but I eventually sold for well over double the offered price in a private sale.

Not sure the offers are there for upgrades unless you buy lots!!! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On new cars, there's very little room for negotiation, as the price is set by the factory.

Therefore it is usually easier to negotiate with your trade in or to get the dealer to throw in some accessories....but sometimes this will be things like accessories from the brochure, such as spot lamps.
Well I guess it's worth a try, I've already but a 20% downpayment on the car, so maybe I can get scuttles and floor mats thrown in for example :) Also I suppose some accessories can only be factory ordered and not installed at the dealership, but brochure accessories seem good to me!

I had an interesting time! I took a test drive, got a best price from one dealer and then played off against two other local dealers. Unfortunately they couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything. I then went online and ordered via a car broker and had a great deal on the purchase of the car.

The part ex they offered was poor but I eventually sold for well over double the offered price in a private sale.

Not sure the offers are there for upgrades unless you buy lots!!! :)
I suppose you are right! I am just so bad at negotiating, I just can't get myself to do it (no guts!). Seems like you sold well, that's great :cool: Did you have any problems via a broker, or is the process basically the same?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts

I tend to shop around a couple of dealers, then play them off against each other.....just make sure it's not two dealers from the same franchise!
Like andyross37 said your trade is the best tool to negotiate. I did this when I sat down to configure my MCS with the dealer. Then before I signed the buyers order I was able to negotiate an additional $500 in discounts. It never hurts to ask...:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
The absolute worst thing that can happen - they say no. They won't laugh at you, just give it a go, try be confident and with any luck you'll get a few extras at a great price.

One thing is certain - if you don't ask, you definitely won't get!

·
Registered
360 Posts
The cheapest way to buy a new car is via an online broker who puts you in touch with a main dealer. You should look for unregistered deals only, and sell your car privately for the best return. Like many I traded my car in for ease knowing that I've lost hundreds in the process, but my work isn't close to home and selling privately would have been more difficult.

You can negotiate with a main dealer - I've never secured any massive discounts (i.e. thousands) but hundreds is definitely possible. In the UK you should be able to get the TLC servicing package fairly easily.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Definitely agree with what @lawrothegreat has said.

Make sure it's a reputable broker - always do your homework and see what others say about their experience. Do not buy a pre registered car, it devalues the car and you are a second owner even though it's brand new.

The car broker I used put me in touch with the mini dealer (200 miles away) and after that point I have only dealt with Mini. No cash was paid to the broker.

If you do go through a broker you will not get a good deal on trade, that's a fact. You are already saving quite a lot so Mini aren't going to want to "lose" more!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Getting back to the original question tho, if youve already ordered the car and paid your deposit, the time for negotiating over any additional accesories is already past. You might get away with asking for something like the nfc Key fob or something small like that but that will be about it i would think.

My dealer matched the online broker discounts, i told them what i could get online and asked if they could match it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Definitely agree with what @lawrothegreat has said.

Make sure it's a reputable broker - always do your homework and see what others say about their experience. Do not buy a pre registered car, it devalues the car and you are a second owner even though it's brand new.

The car broker I used put me in touch with the mini dealer (200 miles away) and after that point I have only dealt with Mini. No cash was paid to the broker.

If you do go through a broker you will not get a good deal on trade, that's a fact. You are already saving quite a lot so Mini aren't going to want to "lose" more!!
You may be correct with not buying Pre Reg but I have always, where possible, tried to buy Ex Demo for the simple reason that these vehicles are usually very well spec'd up and there is no way that they would dare charge you full price for the extras ( assuming that the extras are ones you would probably have chosen yourself). Ex demo normally have under 3k miles, approx 3 mths old and have quite a considerable reduction in price. That's what I tend to do and it's never been an issue on the resale value .

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've never been able to haggle, just don't enjoy it so always end up paying too much!

I think some dealers expect prospective customers to go onto sites like "we buy any car" to get an idea of what their trade-in might be worth at the very bottom end value wise, and they then offer a bit more and take it from there.
Much, much less than a private sale, but much more convenient if you can afford it.

I don't like selling privately either, so I am a bit of a gift for voracious dealers I suppose.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I love to haggle. If you have a PX, always go onto the Glasses Guide site (but pay the £3.95 don't just use their free site) to get an idea of how much your car is worth - the number of time dealerships have offered me about 2K less than bottom book price just to test the water. NEVER be frightened to stick to your guns if you believe they are offering you too little for a PX or charging you too much for new as they will have no qualms in ripping you off if they believe they can - thats why you need to have an idea what the realistic costs are. Always be prepared to go to other dealerships and if you believe the deal is no good, always be prepared to walk away. The number of times I have done that only to be contacted the following day with a much better deal !!
Never be nasty, loose your cool or insulting, even when you know they are trying to pull a fast one - just relax, smile and enjoy the whole experience.
Good luck everyone

·
Registered
14 Posts
I simply played 3 dealers off against each other. One said they couldnt give me a penny off, so I pushed the other 2 dealers, in the end I got a total of £2k off my order - but I am paying via the MINI PCP deal...

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I simply played 3 dealers off against each other. One said they couldnt give me a penny off, so I pushed the other 2 dealers, in the end I got a total of £2k off my order - but I am paying via the MINI PCP deal...
2k off you must of purchased the car below dealer invoice

·
Registered
281 Posts
2k off you must of purchased the car below dealer invoice
From my experience, having bought many cars, 2k is not unrealistic. The best deal I ever got (but this was with a PX) was on a new 1 series BMW (with a Cooper S in PX). The only figure that I consider is Cost To Change ie I'm not interested in the cost of their vehicle or what they are prepared to give me for mine as that's irrelevant - what really matters is what you have to give them plus your car.What I'm trying to say is that It doesn't matter if they discount the new car or give you more for yours to juggle the figures. The difference on this occasion between what one dealer offered me and what I eventually signed for was just under 5k - so don't be afraid to try several dealerships to get the best deal - NO ONE gives you the best deal to start with , there is ALWAYS scope for negotiation !!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From my experience, having bought many cars, 2k is not unrealistic. The best deal I ever got (but this was with a PX) was on a new 1 series BMW (with a Cooper S in PX). The only figure that I consider is Cost To Change ie I'm not interested in the cost of their vehicle or what they are prepared to give me for mine as that's irrelevant - what really matters is what you have to give them plus your car.What I'm trying to say is that It doesn't matter if they discount the new car or give you more for yours to juggle the figures. The difference on this occasion between what one dealer offered me and what I eventually signed for was just under 5k - so don't be afraid to try several dealerships to get the best deal - NO ONE gives you the best deal to start with , there is ALWAYS scope for negotiation !!
Wow - under 5k? That's impressive :eek: It's really worth giving it a shot!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I managed to get £1900 off the F56 price and because they couldn't offer a great deal on part ex I sold privately as you guys know. I certainly wasn't going to grumble about the price offered, I took it on the chin and told them I understood where they were coming from.

Like @palgt1 has said, the deals are out there but you have to ask!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Another thing you can do is ask the dealer to pay a contribution towards your deposit! I had talked a dealer into putting £500 towards my deposit, though I did get a better deal from a different dealer & went with that!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts