Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 days until I get my new Mini and as soon as I have collected it I am off to a place to have the windows tinted and some of the chrome wrapped.

Just as a heads up to the guy doing it (and to reduce the chance of anything breaking) anyone got any techniques or tips on removing the parts?

The parts getting wrapped will be -

- front headlight chrome rings
- rear taillight chrome rings
- front grill

I assume the front bumper has to be removed to take the grill out? And do the chrome surrounds just clip out?

thanks in advance,

Sammy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done it personally, but will in the near future to wrap my front grille trim.

There's a great How-To on NAM from GregoryK for removing the front bumper and thus get to the grille trim.
that's excellent thanks for sharing that!

Hopefully someone will know about the chrome light surrounds and if we are struggling I can show this to the guy!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Love my black trim rings around the lights makes the car look faster.:) The front rings are really easy to swap with the tail lights you have to be a little more careful to remove them and use your time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone tried using the plastidip? I was thinking about buying some trim tools and buying the black trims from my mini dealer. newministuff.com sells them, although they're about the same price. However they're still expensive for what they are. I'm going to buy the black grille surround and will do a bit of investigation to see how easy this can be removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm going to buy the black grille surround for my JCW from newministuff.com. I think it looks really good on a black car. Not so sure about the light surrounds as they're not cheap.

Would be interested to find out if anyone has had any success with plastidip or plasticote paint?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm going to buy the black grille surround from myministuff.com, but the light surrounds are expensive. They're about the same price from my mini dealer.

Would be interested to find out if anyone has had any success with plastidip or plasticote paint?

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm going to buy the black grille surround from myministuff.com, but the light surrounds are expensive. They're about the same price from my mini dealer.

Is the black grill surround a MINI part? I can't seem to find one. I was going to buy another chrome surround and have it painted but if I can get a black one, so much the better.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Cool,thanks. Yeah the light surrounds are spendy for sure. I ordered my car with with them so I wouldn't chicken out later.

myministuff.com takes me to a dealer in Tempe Arizona. I'll google it.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You always can get the chrome rings wrapped in black saves you tons of $$$. :) DR, my Ministuff.com brings up Fernman Mini in Florida. I guess it must have something to do with last order placed.:D Yes I bought some goodies from Fernman last month.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You always can get the chrome rings wrapped in black saves you tons of $$$. :)
I was thinking about a wrap but I'm not a fan of it long term, out here it doesn't last very long, it gets brittle and cracks from the heat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, yes it's www.newministuff.com. My grille arrived this morning. I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to take the old one off and got all the clips to release with the exception of the bottom ones, they're impossible. I can get to some of them but gave up and pushed it back on.

I take another look to see how I can get the bottom line of clips.

The grille that arrived looks great though, but better on the car ;-)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.