Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Pardon my ignorance as I have never replaced a headlight bulb.

I have just ordered Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited and I have no idea how to replace them. Please can anybody walk me through the process.

Many thanks
Saurabh

·
Registered
122 Posts
Luckily for you changing the bulbs on the mini is much easier than average.

You need to open the bonnet; obviously!
Undo the grey plastic covers over the back of the lense unit; just twist off
Pull the black plastic wiring connector off the back of the bulb; do this before the next step and don't just pull the wires!
Unlatch the metal clip that holds the bulb in place
Remove the old bulb; these are worth keeping as spare, so use gloves to avoid getting them dirty.
Put the new bulb in by reversing this process.

There is a small window at the top of the lense that allows you to see exactly what you are doing. This is really useful, particularly when working on the metal clip.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily for you changing the bulbs on the mini is much easier than average.

You need to open the bonnet; obviously!
Undo the grey plastic covers over the back of the lense unit; just twist off
Pull the black plastic wiring connector off the back of the bulb; do this before the next step and don't just pull the wires!
Unlatch the metal clip that holds the bulb in place
Remove the old bulb; these are worth keeping as spare, so use gloves to avoid getting them dirty.
Put the new bulb in by reversing this process.

There is a small window at the top of the lense that allows you to see exactly what you are doing. This is really useful, particularly when working on the metal clip.

Cheers @Souper, thats really helpful. I shall try it and hopefully dont break anything.. >:D

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Isn't it a shame the owner's manual doesn't help the owner very much? I remember back in the day when the owner's manuals actually "helped" owners with such trivial things....but, nooooo, they'd rather have you crawl to the dealer asking for help!

Sorry, couldn't resist! Thankfully, we have good forums with great owners willing to offer good advice!

Happy Motoring,

John

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Best way to get the black wire clip off is gently move it to the left and right and pull on it at the same time it will come off after you use a little force. Also there is like a clear opening on the side towards the top of the headlight where you can see the metal clip to remove the bulb. If you need the extra space to get your hand in you can loosen the clip 1st pull the bulb out a little and use a flathead and gently separate it that way. What ever you do do not pull on the wires!!!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I feel like it's not easy?! I ordered some LED bulbs for my indicators, obviously you removed the same back cover for both the dipped/high beam bulb and indicator... My hands are too big, I couldn't get access... Maybe this is me being a woman @donnaj1dlh

·
Registered
159 Posts
I feel like it's not easy?! I ordered some LED bulbs for my indicators, obviously you removed the same back cover for both the dipped/high beam bulb and indicator... My hands are too big, I couldn't get access... Maybe this is me being a woman @donnaj1dlh
Access to the indicator bulb-holder should be from the underside in the wheel arch area I believe, as in the handbook. Although the instructions are rather poor and the diagrams don't always help.

Having looks inside the headlamp housing as you have, with the back cover removed, you should see at the bottom of the housing a large round plastic plug by the indicator lamp. To get to this turn the steering wheel on full lock to point them inboard. Turn to undo the round plug in the wheel-arch lining then remove the similar inner plug in the headlamp housing.

I do think that, from what I see on the MINI's headlamps, the BMW engineers have made bulb replacement a lot easier than other cars I've owner in recent years!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone, First post here, and i thought id bumb this thread since i need some help, if anyone is around !

Got in my car last night (2015 MCS) and got the warning for the right hand side dim headlight failure (amber colour), i think it must be the bulb, since headlight and indicator are still working. Ive ordered the

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED H4, halogen-headlamp bulb, 64193NBU-HCB, 12V, duo box (Pack of 2)

and im gonna follow the instructions on this thread, my questions are, i wont have any issues with light height adjustment or calibration ? ( i read in the amazon reviews some people required calibration since the light beam was unfocused), I assume the warning light will extinguish after the bulb is replaced And lastly if its not a failed bulb, would me replacing the bulb void any parts and labour waranty i have on the car ?

The car is going in for the "quality enhancement" crankshaft bearing replacement on tuesday, so im tempted to leave it until then and allow them to replace the bulb but to be honest, i do think the OEM bulbs are very very bad !

Anyhoo, cheers lads ! hope everyone is enjoying their MINI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It’s not as bad as it seems, I’ve literally just changed mine and I do have fat fingers and it’s pretty tight but with a bit of patience and a little wiggle the connector came off ok and got it sorted in 10 mins

just take your time and you’ll be fine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.