Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you DON'T want to talk over the car speaker, say your passenger wants to use your phone, can you turn it off? This was the situation today when my wife needed to use my phone. It's a convenience when driving but annoying when the Mini decides you MUST use its system. I'm hoping it's just another function I haven't yet learned. And another reason why I've named my car "Hal". Geez, just who's in charge?!

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Mini has a habit of turning the Bluetooth off all on its own. Once or twice a month, I wonder why the phone isn't connecting. I go into the menu, and the Bluetooth box is not checked.

Weird, because I haven't turned it off!!

One option, though not great, is to go into that menu and turn Bluetooth off when you need to make a call without using the car system. Then, after the call, turn it back on again.

Of course, you could also turn off Bluetooth on your phone, temporarily.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
My Mini has a habit of turning the Bluetooth off all on its own. Once or twice a month, I wonder why the phone isn't connecting. I go into the menu, and the Bluetooth box is not checked.

Weird, because I haven't turned it off!!

One option, though not great, is to go into that menu and turn Bluetooth off when you need to make a call without using the car system. Then, after the call, turn it back on again.

Of course, you could also turn off Bluetooth on your phone, temporarily.
Mine seems to have started doing the same!

·
Registered
64 Posts
So if you DON'T want to talk over the car speaker, say your passenger wants to use your phone, can you turn it off? This was the situation today when my wife needed to use my phone. It's a convenience when driving but annoying when the Mini decides you MUST use its system. I'm hoping it's just another function I haven't yet learned. And another reason why I've named my car "Hal". Geez, just who's in charge?!
It's not your Mini making this decision. If your phone is connected to a Bluetooth handfree system (ear piece, in-car, etc.), it will use it. The best option is to turn off Bluetooth on the phone while making the call or after initiating the call, make the section to use the handset instead of handfree. This should be an option on the current call screen.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for pointing out what should have been obvious to me. My last car was, and still is, a 1996 Subaru, so I'll a little behind the times in modern car electronics. It's jarring to make or receive a call when the sound comes suddenly blaring from the HK! I'm sorry I blamed Hal for my incompetence, but I still suspect he's snickering behind my back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you use an iPhone, you can go to the phone screen and choose the audio source. It will say handsfree or something for the car and iPhone for the phone. Just choose iPhone and you won't be through the speakers. That way you don't have to reconnect Bluetooth when you are done with your call.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THX TX. Good to know. I don't have an iPhone but there's probably one in my future. I'm resisting having too many electronic devices in my life, but I'm losing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts