Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stupid and I bought the Hankook I*cept Evo W310 195/55 87V R16 tires for my Mini. Probably they are good for other cars but they are runflats and too heavy for my taste. I feel like I have lead in my tires. I cannot return them cause I put them on the car. I want to buy a new set. Can you please recommend some good, light, winter tires? Non runflats. Preferably having a high speed rating (V).

Thank You!

· Super Moderator
8,973 Posts
If you read the mags winter tyres feel squidy or less responsive.somehow more disconnected. Are you quite sure you will be any better? Check pressures but i would stick with them as whrn i change to my winter tyres the car is noticeably different ie less sporty!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are heavy! I feel less acceleration and the braking is also longer. I feel unsafe. I would like to try some non runflats. I am pretty sure with lighter tires the car will handle better in the winter. Especially I don't like the braking performance. It's pretty bad. What do you think of Continental TS860? They are praised in magazines, however I don't always trust magazines.

· Super Moderator
8,973 Posts
I can't comment on those as i have hankook icept winters but non runflats.theyre ok for the price but def not the best. Ican tell theyre on like you but put up with it as I'm not driving like that in the winter so much! However continental seem to do well generally and are usually test winners so i dont think you will go far wrong. Nokian did really well in latest autoexpress test.Am amazed the tyre is that much heavier to make the difference. Just trying to save you money!

· Registered
615 Posts
Sometimes it's good to let the tyres wear down past the release agent (few 100 miles usually) before they give you some confidence in acceleration/braking/cornering grip...

I just put my new winter wheels (Continental TS830) on and they just had no grip and had no confidence in them but I feel they are getting better by the day.... Had the same issue with my Michelin Super Sport i fitted a couple of months back, no confidence in them until they wore down a little

· Super Moderator
8,973 Posts
Very very obvious on motorbikes this-always advised to take it easy for the first few miles on new tyres as the release agents wear off.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, for me the Hankook I*cept Evo W310 195/55 87V R16 Runflat seem bad not because I do not have adherence but because they seem way too heavy. All the famous Mini go-kart felling is killed. I don't expect the Mini to behave the same with winter tyres but still I feel too much of a difference. The problem is that being runflats they are pretty heavier. Too bad manufacturers don't mention the weight of the tyre as a technical detail. I think being heavier any acceleration or deceleration is harder for the engine. Also tyres being heavier evey bump in the road will put more strain on the suspension. Therefore I am not happy.
I have placed an order today for a new set of Dunlop Winter Sport 5 195/55 R16 87H M+S 3PMSF. These are not runflats. I hope they are lighter. They have good reviews. It will take a couple of days and update the thread with my feedback. I will then sell the winter Hankooks with half the price I paid, likely quickly. Others should learn from my mistake.
Many thanks for the people who replied!

· Registered
81 Posts
I have Pirelli Winter Sottozero tires on my JCW and definitely feel like the go cart handling aspect is maintained with them. They have crisp turn in and grip predictably through turns, and have better straight line grip than other winter tires I've had.

--Matt

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I was able to find only the Continental TS860 on stock and I went with them. I had already did 1000 km on them, there is a huge difference when compared to the run-flats. I actually think they are better than the original Hankook Ventus Prime 2. I had tested them so far with temperatures between +1.5 and 15 (Celsius) and with heavy rain. I am very satisfied. The Mini has gained again it's lively acceleration and superb braking. I think they weight 7.66 kg (in 195/55 R16 size) so they are one of the lightest winter tires available. I've never had any Continental tires before, except on my mountain bike. I think I'll buy in the spring the lightest original 17'' wheels from Mini and the new PremiumContact 6. I highly recommend the WinterContact TS860. They are soft and light.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.