Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to this so i apologise if its a bit uncouth.
Having an issue with my 17 plate mini, its been into the garage 4 times for this issue and its still not sorted.
When the car is in neutral and idling the revs are fluctuating between 0.5 and 1.5 until it cuts out.
They have checked the timing chain, air intake and have re coded. Any ideas? I tried to upload a video but it "does not have an allowed extension)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Some owners have described surging as well as erratic idling and have pointed to the Fuel Tank Vent Valve - Idle Issue 2015 F55 MCS - North American Motoring
Thank you for your reply. They have called me back and said the cam cover was slightly warped. But It never lost any oil & it never misfired when driving. But I dont know, i guess we will see in time.
The fuel tank vent valve seems right, the cars all sound as mine sounded and the same issues. If it needs to go back I might mention it to them.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
463 Posts
They should be able to tell you if any of the sensors are reporting errors. There are a few things that regulate idle speed, just one is the lambda/oxygen sensor in the exhaust system. On a previous car just having a wire come off of the sensor made then engine management change things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have called again this morning reporting the issue is still present after changing the cam cover.
There are no fault codes at all, thats the odd thing. I asked them about the fuel tank vent valve and they basically shrugged me off and said the garage team are already checking the obvious issues. 🤷‍♀️ Guess they don't take too kindly to people giving opinions 🙄
Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
689 Posts
They have called again this morning reporting the issue is still present after changing the cam cover.
There are no fault codes at all, thats the odd thing. I asked them about the fuel tank vent valve and they basically shrugged me off and said the garage team are already checking the obvious issues. 🤷‍♀️ Guess they don't take too kindly to people giving opinions 🙄
Thanks for your help guys
The problem with main dealers these days is there are no proper mechanics, they're technicians who rely on a computer to tell them what's wrong.
If the computer can't find a fault with any electrical components or sensors then the technicians don't know what to do.

Are they still "working" on your car or have they given it back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The normally only have to deal with the obvious or services, you're right though, they seem clueless!
They are still working on it apparently, they have the whole engine in bits 😂 The amount of money & time they have wasted changing things that arent even the issue. Lets say its unlikely that it's the fuel tank vent valve, pass the message on & check it! If it is then brill, do it & give me my bloody car back 😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its the mini garage in tamworth (midlands) they've had it off and one (4 times so far) for 3 weeks now. Oh well, thankfully its being fixed under warranty 😂

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
689 Posts
How long have you had the car? if they can't sort it and you've had it for less than 6 months then after giving them at least 3 chances to fix it you can reject it under your consumer rights

1 - 10 of 10 Posts