Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Before you go in with the parts cannon just have a double check of the wiring. In a previous car I had issues with idle speeds and faults were pointing to the oxygen sensor but it was just that the wires to the sensor had broken. Also anything that is not earthing correctly due to a loose wire can cause intermittent faults.
Yeah, I will check them. You never know if there has been some damage or wiring getting loose..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm so done with this mystery "idle jumping problem" :D

I changed today upstream O2 sensor (with five wire, before cat) and no change whatsoever. Still getting random rpm dropping after starting engine. It's real mystery why it does this and it's only after starting engine, no problems whatsoever driving and stopping to lights or accelerating fast etc. Driving with car it is normal as it should be :)

I've been searching trough internet and nothing comes up with same symptoms as I do. Nothing. Nada.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Should that have somekind of symptoms during driving? There is no jerking or stalling. I have noticed today, that idle is little a bit rough, only little but noticeble. It's not as smooth as used to be.

What makes you think problem with HPFP?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should that have somekind of symptoms during driving? There is no jerking or stalling. I have noticed today, that idle is little a bit rough, only little but noticeble. It's not as smooth as used to be.

What makes you think problem with HPFP?
[/QUOTE
Hi did you ever find the problem with the bad idle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Hi did you ever find the problem with the bad idle.
Nope. Still there. I really dont have a clue what to do with it.

Editing my answer. I was answering last time from smartphone, so here is little more accurate answer now from PC:

Now that weather is getting colder and starting cold engine there is no revving issue. After driving few miles, stopping and starting there is random revs dropping and then normal. I can drive 200 miles end no problems, but after shutting engine and starting again revs can drop one or two times after start up. Still the same, when I drive mini there is no problem (jerking, stuttering, misfire, etc), mini is driving like no problem whatsoever.

I have noticed that idling is a little bit rough. You can't see it in revmeter, but you can feel it when sitting in drivers seat.

Have you @DMC64 changed parts or done diagnostics? What kind of symptoms do you have? Can you describe them?

·
Registered
mini cooper SD 2015
70 Posts

Editing my answer. I was answering last time from smartphone, so here is little more accurate answer now from PC:

Now that weather is getting colder and starting cold engine there is no revving issue. After driving few miles, stopping and starting there is random revs dropping and then normal. I can drive 200 miles end no problems, but after shutting engine and starting again revs can drop one or two times after start up. Still the same, when I drive mini there is no problem (jerking, stuttering, misfire, etc), mini is driving like no problem whatsoever.

I have noticed that idling is a little bit rough. You can't see it in revmeter, but you can feel it when sitting in drivers seat.

Have you @DMC64 changed parts or done diagnostics? What kind of symptoms do you have? Can you describe them?
this has been a issue for some time could it be a slight timing issue if all the sensors have been changed or checked, possibly have a slight intermittent timing issue, please check your oil for metal flakes but it seems really strange that it is okay with cold weather seems more like a O2 issue, other silly thing when was your car serviced is the air filter on the correct way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
this has been a issue for some time could it be a slight timing issue if all the sensors have been changed or checked, possibly have a slight intermittent timing issue, please check your oil for metal flakes but it seems really strange that it is okay with cold weather seems more like a O2 issue, other silly thing when was your car serviced is the air filter on the correct way.
Yeah, I checked air filter and it is in right way. When the mini was in service 3 months ago and I mentioned about this idle problem, they wanted to take valve cover off and check valvetronic parts (why? IDK). They also wanted to update DME (is this ecu programming?) cause it was old. If they update DME then my stage 2 programming (celtic tuning) will be deleted => not gona happen :D

If it is timing issue would symptoms be more radical? I have always understood that timing is okay or very bad, nothing between that. And if timing is "out" you are unable to drive without having A LOT of issues.

Opening valve cover, updating DME they wanted to charge almost 1000€. Yeah, I dont think so.......

·
Registered
mini cooper SD 2015
70 Posts
Yeah, I checked air filter and it is in right way. When the mini was in service 3 months ago and I mentioned about this idle problem, they wanted to take valve cover off and check valvetronic parts (why? IDK). They also wanted to update DME (is this ecu programming?) cause it was old. If they update DME then my stage 2 programming (celtic tuning) will be deleted => not gona happen :D

If it is timing issue would symptoms be more radical? I have always understood that timing is okay or very bad, nothing between that. And if timing is "out" you are unable to drive without having A LOT of issues.

Opening valve cover, updating DME they wanted to charge almost 1000€. Yeah, I dont think so.......
OH its tuned, this could be the issue that it was a bad tune from celtic i know that people trust them but also you could have damaged something i wouldn't pay that price but i would contact celtic tuning and see if it is a recurring issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OH its tuned, this could be the issue that it was a bad tune from celtic i know that people trust them but also you could have damaged something i wouldn't pay that price but i would contact celtic tuning and see if it is a recurring issue.
The problem is that when I bought mini tuning was done at 49000km and this problem started about at 80000km. Tuning was done about 2 years ago.
So it can't be tuning program issue. Right?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi thanks for your reply.
I have P2188 code and have checked the timing and it was out so we fixed it and code went but has come back. Like you say you can feel it when sitting in the seat.It is not that noticable on the revcounter but it is there. I have noticed that when i pull of in first gear there is a what i call a blank spot. Were it feels it has missed a beat. this is when i am driving it with care [slowley] If i hamer it you dont notice it. So other day when i was coming home i was driving through the tunnel and i set the cruise control to 30mph and because its a climb half way i noticed that it was running realy bad. So i am going to my mates garage today and going to check the timing again to see if it has changed from last wk.I have only driven about 80 miles since it was set. Will let you know what happens.Going to check some other parts as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi thanks for your reply.
I have P2188 code and have checked the timing and it was out so we fixed it and code went but has come back. Like you say you can feel it when sitting in the seat.It is not that noticable on the revcounter but it is there. I have noticed that when i pull of in first gear there is a what i call a blank spot. Were it feels it has missed a beat. this is when i am driving it with care [slowley] If i hamer it you dont notice it. So other day when i was coming home i was driving through the tunnel and i set the cruise control to 30mph and because its a climb half way i noticed that it was running realy bad. So i am going to my mates garage today and going to check the timing again to see if it has changed from last wk.I have only driven about 80 miles since it was set. Will let you know what happens.Going to check some other parts as well.
Ok! Thanks for the info and I really like to hear what outcome you have after checking timing again and other stuff.

How did you fixed timing first time? What parts are you planning to change?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts