Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a load of dried on fly squash on the bonnet and wing mirrors that is still there after a normal wash with mini detergent and a good quality cleaning brush:eek:. My Cooper had the Mini paint treatment as part of the purchase deal.
My question is this. What is the best way to EASILY get rid of the fly squash and secondly, if I use something chemical to do it, will it ruin the paint protection.
If it does spoil the protection, whats the best way of re-protecting the paint work?
Thanks all:|

·
Registered
186 Posts
The best bet is to use a high quality wash. Use plenty of soap and foam up the area. Let it sit so the soap can break down the dirt and such. Do not let it sit in the sun, do this under cover or at least in the shade. Pre-treating with a detail spray my help as well. Don't use any type of brush on the paint! A lambswool mitt or good quality microfiber sponge is the way to go. If you had a good paint treatment then the soap should take care of it. It may take a few passes.
I use a paint sealant after I wash. But I don't know where you are so not sure what you have access to.

Annette

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Safe way is to get a really wet cloth and leave it over the messed flies for a while. The long soak should shift them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
There are lots of bug remover sprays on the market. Spray them on, leave for a bit, then they come off easy peasy during rinse and wash. There are also specific cloths you can use.

I use (and swear by) AutoGlym Active Insect Remover, but if you're in the US, this might be hard to find, so Meguiars Gold Class Bug & Tar Remover might be worth a look. Little tip though, a good glass cleaner spray will help and wont damage your paint protection.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all and thanks for the help! I am in Cornwall so can get the AM stuff. I used to use Auto Finesse Citrus Power. Is the AM stuff better?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I ADORE all the AMDetails products I've used!

Currently, I routinely use the Bubbles, Foam, APC, Glaze and Seal. I also bought their claybar but not used it yet. Their claybar can be used with water or a light dilution of Bubbles - so no need to buy extra 'lube' to match the bar. Very competitively priced products and I've found I've ditched a lot of my 'premium' products in their favour.

Coincidently - the MINI is booked in to AMDetails to get GTechniq Crystal Serum applied next week, our 10yo Freelander is getting overhauled the following week and our Boxster GTS is getting Crystal Serumed too. Not cheap but worth it I reckon.

They are only an hour away from me so hence why I'm a bit of a fan. You can check out their work here.....

https://www.facebook.com/amdetails?fref=ts

·
Registered
143 Posts
if you leave it to soak at a cool part of they day they will come off no problem, either early morning or evening, out of the sun. Optimum No Rinse is an excellent product that is much milder than the likes of citrus power. Kitchen Roll soaked in ONR works well but no reason why your shampoo wouldnt work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts