Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone asked for a souvenir of their Mini being built like a picture of it on the production line? Has anyone heard of someone doing this? Where would I start sending this enquiry? I assume it would be fairly easy for someone at the Oxford plant to find your Mini on the production line and snap a few pics of it with their phone and email it to you.

In my opinion everyone who orders a new Mini should get pictures of it along each stage of the production line. I think that would be right up the alley of Mini's brand.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
That's a great idea ,however we did the factory tour and no phones were allowed, and photos and video banned. That would not stop mini doing it.a construction file could be quite profit able ,a great idea. You ought to suggest it.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I can remember touring the BMW plant in South Carolina in 2002 where the X5 is built and being told that every vehicle had a chip on the hood in place of the roundel emblem as the X5 progressed along the assembly line & owners could track their car every inch of the way so they knew exactly what was happening to their build! No photos afaik but that's pretty cool! Don't know if BMW still does that. Maybe the Brits in Oxford are just too secretive eh? ;-)

·
Registered
159 Posts
It would require some agreement to impliment so not impossible in a controlled area (the end of the production line perhaps). Possibly its something MINI Oxford would consider.

However I've been on quite a few of production lines and still or video cameras were generally not allowed. You could only get permission if a problem needed to be understood or analysed. Even taking notes can cause questions. Production processes are not by their nature secrets but working methods and timing are constantly being perfected.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Yes they still track each car with its chassis number using a little computerised box on the bonnet that stipulates the build and options. It is scanned at every station . When we went they could try to identify my car on the line but we were a week too early! They very occasionally succeed but the cars are coming off every 90 seconds so they explained its very rare to be able to book the tour at the right time!

·
Registered
320 Posts
great idea, the tech is called RFID, they use it on all sorts of stuff these days and they'll already have cameras (Hawk-eye kind of stuff) along the production line already taking images for quality control etc. So not beyond the wit of man and a couple of software engineers to put chassis number, RFID tag line and e-mail address lookup table together and auto fire them out..... marketing man's dream that!

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.