Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2016 Volcanic Orange 6 speed back in August. I'm mostly coming from BMW ownership. The mini is mostly awesome but a few things are annoying

1. Horn delay - noticed that the horn takes about a half second to honk - super annoying when that dump truck is spinning up its turbo to pull out in front of you. Horns for 100 years have been a switch, a horn and a battery (with maybe a relay). Feels like a computer was introduced.

2. On/Off switch - i have accidently turned my car back on several times due to it taking two presses to actually turn the car off. It's weird to get out of the car and lock the door with the radio playing, wipers running etc. I get you can push it twice but if i forget to let the clutch out it starts the engine again.

3. Sound system - I wish i had found a car with upgraded sound. 6 speeds were super hard to find in my area - the dealer had over 200 cars of which maybe 10 were not automatic.

Otherwise the handling is great - the wheels at the corners is really amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Congrats on a great looking MCS! I've only had BMWs & Jeeps mostly before my F56 JCW. My Bimmers are all classics so stepping up to modern technology was huge for me!

I can confirm that some things about the current MINI are quirky, and I have to look up how to do certain things on occasion because I don't drive mine daily. But, to your comments: My horn seems fine but I admit to not using it much except for State inspection....no issues that I can remember. The start/stop toggle is something we have all been through & I have the MT6 also. You will get used to it! As for the sound system, I opted for the Harmon Kardon sound system so I can't compare but I love it...but it has taken me awhile to get used to it. It sounds better with use once the speakers burn in.

Good luck with your MINI...it's easy to see you coming in that striped VO! Maybe you won't need a horn! ;-). I love VO!

Enjoy,

John

Reactions: Posaune

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Welcome alone :)

Can't say I've noticed a issue with the horn! Are you pressing it evenly?

I've done the same with the on/off but just get in a routine and it's all good now.

I haven't got the HK system but spent some time playing with the setting and seems far better and as said by 02fanatic speakers do improve with use and bed in.

Enjoy :)

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
As Dave says; you get used to the double off BUT you don't have to -one press for off get out lock it and the locking process switches everything off for you! Choice is yours. I had the HK stereo in my last car but have now vis boost and am VERY happy that it's pretty good for £600 less.
Re thehorn there's a thread on here-there is a technique i think if you hit the bottom of it it reacts better but not sure as hardly ever use it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Dave says; you get used to the double off BUT you don't have to -one press for off get out lock it and the locking process switches everything off for you! Choice is yours. I had the HK stereo in my last car but have now vis boost and am VERY happy that it's pretty good for £600 less.
Re thehorn there's a thread on here-there is a technique i think if you hit the bottom of it it reacts better but not sure as hardly ever use it!
Thanks for all the replies. My radio will keep playing when i lock the doors. I hear it as I'm walking away. Supposedly there is a coding option to turn stuff off when you open the door. My dealer didnt know what i was talking about :-/

Yeah it's hard to tap the horn - always turns into a long HONK.

I also find the "heel toe" engine speed match/throttle blip when you downshift to be a bit annoying too.

This car also has JCW exhaust which sounds great when open :)

I also got some matching orange cocomats that turned out pretty good.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
The mats look great. Very strange re the locking-if i lock my car the locking process switches the radio off! so there must be a way of coding this since uk cars come like the (unless other uk owners correct me!).
Personally i love the rev blip the car does for you; i used to do this my self but the car is much better than me and it must save wear and tear on the drive train-i think there is a thread on here about it as there are plenty of others on this forum who don't like it. It can take some getting used to but you will!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The rev matching feature can save your engine if you miss a downshift....I have no issues with it. It just surprised me the first time I drove the car! You will adapt to it also with time.

Just drive & smile! No worries!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I remember the first time I came across the rev matching!

I'd only had my MINI a week or so and was taking it round Goodwood race circuit (I don't believe a modern car needs running in, that's another story though) coming up to the first corner and changing down, to use the engine to aid braking, and got the rev matching! First thought was it must have been me touching the throttle somehow! Next corner and the same and now thinking something must be wrong with the car!! Then remembered somewhere in the back of my head someone saying about rev matching!

It is a weird sensation for sure having been driving for near on 50 years and using the engine on change down to brake all those years to come across this feature, more so on a race track!

Anyway you do get used to it (in time) enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Got a 2016 Volcanic Orange 6 speed back in August. I'm mostly coming from BMW ownership. The mini is mostly awesome but a few things are annoying

1. Horn delay - noticed that the horn takes about a half second to honk - super annoying when that dump truck is spinning up its turbo to pull out in front of you. Horns for 100 years have been a switch, a horn and a battery (with maybe a relay). Feels like a computer was introduced.

2. On/Off switch - i have accidently turned my car back on several times due to it taking two presses to actually turn the car off. It's weird to get out of the car and lock the door with the radio playing, wipers running etc. I get you can push it twice but if i forget to let the clutch out it starts the engine again.

Otherwise the handling is great - the wheels at the corners is really amazing.
I have the same issues with the horn delay and the On/Off switch. I will try the bottom of the horn button to see if it does make a difference, but I seldom use the horn and on those occasions that I do it is usually to warn someone that has drifted across a centerline or such and I am not thinking about where I need to push the horn button! The mini FOB leaves a lot to be desired. I use my thumb to push the buttons and they are so small it is easy to get the wrong one unless I actually look at the FOB and insure that I am not pushing the wrong button. I did switch to the aftermarket option of making it smaller so it did not require as much pocket space. Maybe some entrepreneur will design the perfect mini FOB!

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
I really like the r series fob but of course in this day and age its not the thing to have a key fob that needs using. It slotted into the dash and charged as you drove. No battery to replace and it feels quality. F series felt like a retro grade step to me but Things move on i suppose!! If you have comfort access of course you only need the fob in your pocket. Pleased with that feature!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I really like the r series fob but of course in this day and age its not the thing to have a key fob that needs using. It slotted into the dash and charged as you drove. No battery to replace and it feels quality. F series felt like a retro grade step to me but Things move on i suppose!! If you have comfort access of course you only need the fob in your pocket. Pleased with that feature!
Did you not find the R series fob was more prone to opening the car? I find the buttons stick out more! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Yes very true! I really liked the idea of a rechargeable battery but we dont have to have the fob other than in the pocket for the comnfort access. Quite liking it!

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
I've always been delighted with this; lots of people have issues but my android ~(galaxys4mini) connects as soon as i get in, steering spotify streams perfectly, phone calls clear-not keen on the voice recognition in my last one-f56, ended up just using the manual controls-much quicker, but i found connectivity really good-time will tell on vis boost and standard bluetooth in our f54 but so far=perfect-connceted to both mine and swmbo phones perfectly and streaming music nicely. Phone book is there too -dont think it will read texts in std bluetooth as my last did but really -should you be doing this while driving!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.