Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we've not had much in the way of cold weather but this week in the East Midlands we've had a few early morning sharp frosts with solidly iced up window.
WHAT A MARVEL the heated front screen is; my car lives outside btw unlike our pampered Roadster S.

Get in start the engine put the front and rear heated screens on, heated seat on , engage reverse and carefully back out of the drive (if you can see anything,wait 30s if not), engage wiper; hey presto ice is now water! AMAZING.
LOVE IT!:x

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well we've not had much in the way of cold weather but this week in the East Midlands we've had a few early morning sharp frosts with solidly iced up window.
WHAT A MARVEL the heated front screen is; my car lives outside btw unlike our pampered Roadster S.

Get in start the engine put the front and rear heated screens on, heated seat on , engage reverse and carefully back out of the drive (if you can see anything,wait 30s if not), engage wiper; hey presto ice is now water! AMAZING.
LOVE IT!:x
I was driving a Mondeo estate last week with one and have to say when the sun was low and on the screen the heater elements in the screen really bugged me. Sure you get used to it after a while.

You have just reminded me that we have an empty garage but car is still outside!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
'Oop 'ere in the frozen North, I think a heated screen is about essential, especially in a Roadster where if you get in wearing wet clothes, the instant demist effect is equally valuable.

One downside of the Roadster is that the screen tapers bottom to top and the heated area is a rectangle so there is a thick triangular area of unheated screen each side. But if I get in, start the engine and heated screens, get out and de-ice the two triangles, everything else is ready by the time I get back in.

And I need to do some ice scraping, as I brought back several proper Canadian snow/ice brushes decades ago and using them is so enjoyable.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
The heated front screen was patented by Ford in the mid 80s
Very few other manufacturers used them due to having to pay Ford for the privilege.
The patent expired after 25 years so I am led to believe which must be why they are now widely available.
The wires in the screen have never been a problem, I have had the heated front screen for over 20 years now in various cars, wouldn't be without one now.
Excellent bit of kit

·
Registered
540 Posts
Is this some American health and safety madness

Why do you guys have to suffer the foolery of scraping in the cold, is it the Same in Canada ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Me too for the heated screen!
Originally had one on a second hand '97 Ford Mondeo.
I think the elements in the screens have got finer since then.
Had it on other cars since and specified it on my first 2012 Mini Cooper R56, it was a no brainer to add it to the list when speccing my current F56 Cooper S.
GWJ is correct about the patent.
Don't forget the Mini also has heated door mirrors and washer jets too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Is this some American health and safety madness

Why do you guys have to suffer the foolery of scraping in the cold, is it the Same in Canada ?
Nope. I got it as an option on mine and love driving away after a night shift and leaving my coworkers scraping away

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ditto for heated screen Had the facility on all four MINIs. First came across it on a company pool car (Ford). Pitty it only does front and back! When my wife has to set off early for work and it's all frozen up then I fill a large jug with tepid water and use that. Instant clear. The warm water trick is always argued ;-) over but it works for me.

As someone else mentioned above, great for demisting when you get in with wet clothes.

Derek

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.