Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought the JCW rear spoiler from Sewell you can see it here:
http://mini.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Exterior/F56S-2014/7043.html

Delivery was really fast and came with the two side covers part #51 62 7 360 325 and 51 62 7 360 236 that are painted in black already.
Spoiler comes with primer and ready to be painted.
Color code for the black roof is Jet Black 668 and I paid $80 for paint (As a reference when you get a quote).

Installation is very simple and requires the following:

* 8mm socket
* #20 Torx

First step is to remove the two lateral covers:

Then remove the two 8 mm screws under the covers

Now open the trunk and remove the 5 rubber covers and then the screws with a #20 torx key

Once this is removed, close the trunk carefully. You will notice that the roof spoiler is loose but is not coming out. There is a couple of clips holding the spoiler under that you cannot see.
Here they are:

The only way for me was to pull back gently until they pop out, bit scary but came out with no damage.
JCW spoiler goes in really easy and once its clip again you can install the two 8mm screws on the side, open the trunk and reinstall the five torx screws. Put the rubber covers back and finally install the new side covers.
Now enjoy your new spoiler:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great DIY guide for people and the spoiler look pretty good on there as well. It'd be nice to have last picture that showed it installed from a bit further away. It seems a lot simpler than I might have expected.

Thanks for posting this for everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's an error in your description: When putting on the new spoiler: 1st screw in the 5 screws from below. Then srew in the 2 screws under the side covers.

Please take really care about the torque you apply:
5 screws from below: 3,0Nm
2 screws from the side: 2,0Nm
Would be optimal to screw them in with 400rpm.

When you want to take the old spoiler off (after taking out all screws) just put one hand on the roof side of the spoiler and turn the rear side down until it clicks. Don't be afraid. You are absolutely not able to damage anything.

@Almalgamo: I am very curious about how the painting worked. Did they screw off the wing or paint it as one part?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's an error in your description: When putting on the new spoiler: 1st screw in the 5 screws from below. Then srew in the 2 screws under the side covers.

When you want to take the old spoiler off (after taking out all screws) just put one hand on the roof side of the spoiler and turn the rear side down until it clicks. Don't be afraid. You are absolutely not able to damage anything.

@Almalgamo: I am very curious about how the painting worked. Did they screw off the wing or paint it as one part?
To my knowledge. It was painted as a one piece, No problems at all.
Now with the order of the screws, as long as they are hand tightened at the beginning, its not a big deal in the order you do it. Its just an spoiler not a freaking titanium implant in your mouth ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Expert

Please refer all questions regarding the spoiler to Mr XYZ, who claims to be the designer of all six F56 and F55 spoilers. Glad to have you here Mr XYZ

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
My 2015 MCS-A (USA) came with that spoiler. I didn't even know there was another style!

I went back to the MINIUSA configurator just now and I see that it's no longer an Option. Even my Saved MINI from back in July no longer shows the (I gather it's the JCW) spoiler. If I recall correctly, the spoiler was an option in the Sport Package.

Other Options seemed to have changed, as well. Interesting.

I will consider myself very fortunate to have ordered my car back then (though, I would have added the Bike Prep if it was available!).

It's an awesome spoiler! I think it makes me go faster!! ;-)

JP

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the JCW spoiler on my MCS, and much prefer the profile it gives than with the standard spoiler. For anyone who wants to fit the spoiler themselves, you did a great job of explaining the process with the step-by-step photos. Kudos!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.