Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one... when my renewal came through, it was more expensive than last year.

So I get internet comparison quotes. Generally, if there's less than £10 difference, I stick with the current supplier to avoid the hassle of changing.

Today, I had a £30 difference to deal with.

So I range the current supplier and asked if they could beat it. They did. And not only that, they beat it by another £30 on top.

So a quick surf & phone call saved me £60. But why should I need to go through this hassle each year?? Why don't they just quote a lower value - or at least something in the same ballpark?

I know the answer of course - they hope I'll be too lazy to bother looking.

·
Registered
508 Posts
In the savings business they have a term 'rate tart' for those customers that will go wherever the rate is highest. I like this as, excepting for when driving my Roadster, my appearance doesn't give the chance to get called a tart that often.

With almost any financial (or other) product the basic premise is that if you can't be bothered to change supplier, they feel they should be making more profit from you since you have triggered the flag saying 'please fleece me, I don't care'.

It's differential pricing where the idea is to get the maximum from each customer - the best example being first class airfare where you can pay several times the cost of economy for the same basic service. You could argue that all Mini pricing is based on this - a different bit of plastic here and there, or some electronic geegaw that costs Mini nothing and the price goes up 10% or more. If someone will pay £25,000 for what's really a £15,000 Mini, then Mini want to get the extra £10,000, thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Like I mentioned in one of the other threads: I don't trust people that sell cars and I don't trust people that sell insurances.

Last year I received a letter from my insurance company that they were forced to raise the price with 10% due to al kind of unforseen (?) situations in the financial market. I contacted them a few weeks before the price increase would kick in and told them that they were too expensive and that I was considering switching to another insurance company. Without any discussion whatsoever they offered me a 20% discount on my old fee. Can you believe that??

This kind of attitude really #%*^ me off and I understand that insurance fees in the UK are way higher than in Belgium. Based on my history I pay 1100 euro per year for the complete package: full coverage, no depreciation of the catalogue price of the car including all options in case of a total loss during the first 3 years, max insured amount for driver and passengers in case of death or major injuries etc...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I must admit I'm an insurance tart....I NEVER renew without going through all the comparison sites and some independent ones. Sometimes I come off a lot better other times it's not really worth the hassle of changing. Seldom I'm with the same insurers two years on the trot.

My friend's husband told me something interesting though ( He owns a body repair centre) ..... beware 'cheap' insurers as they insist on a "repair rather than replace" policy. These include esure, Sheilas Wheels, Elephant, Kwik Fit .....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.