Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2022 F54 JCW had the adaptive suspension as a zero cost option, but it limited me to having to have the 18” wheels. This I believe is the same on the M135i. The dealer wasn’t sure why. There appears to be plenty of space in the wheel arch, although I’ve not taken the wheels off to see if there is anything on the suspension it’s self that may foul larger wheels.

Has anyone on here replaced their wheels on a car with the new intelligent adaptive suspension and gone larger than 18” wheels? Does anyone know the actual reason for them not offering the 19” wheels with the intelligent adaptive suspension?

·
Registered
76 Posts
People in the US have certainly done it, but you're risking your warranty re: anything suspension related. I was told 19s don't leave enough travel for the suspension, but others have been told it's because the adaptive suspension is too firm for 19 inch wheels and can lead to cracking.

Personally, as much as I love the larger wheels, I ended up pulling out of a deal on a car with 19s. When I drove it the ride was, to me, unacceptable. Very glad I ended up with 18s and the new adaptive suspension.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I just answered my own question. I’ll leave this here for anyone else querying the same issue.
There is barely an inch between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the spring. Pushing my hand to the back of the wheel the tyre and suspension gap quickly gets so narrow that I can’t get even my little finger between them. You can see in the photo that the strut actually bends in to accommodate the tyre, so going bigger on the wheels or may be even the tyre profile may foul it.

All in all, 18” wheels are a pretty tight fit.
Tire Helmet Automotive tire Wood Alloy wheel

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think I just answered my own question. I’ll leave this here for anyone else querying the same issue.
There is barely an inch between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the spring. Pushing my hand to the back of the wheel the tyre and suspension gap quickly gets so narrow that I can’t get even my little finger between them. You can see in the photo that the strut actually bends in to accommodate the tyre, so going bigger on the wheels or may be even the tyre profile may foul it.

All in all, 18” wheels are a pretty tight fit.
View attachment 75230
Interestingly when I specced my F60 JCW I wanted adaptive and at the time only option was the 18”s as you have mentioned was the case for you….however a couple weeks later (mid July) that changed and you could select the 19”s, but like others I decided to stick with 18”s for the ride etc. You mention the gap isn’t much, but bear in mind the 19”s are a lower profile tyre so gap likely to be similar anyway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My (still yet to be delivered) F60 Cooper S All4 Sport has the adaptive suspension and the 19" JCW Circuit Spokes. Maybe the JCW has different springs? I can't take a look as it's still sat at the dealership somewhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My (still yet to be delivered) F60 Cooper S All4 Sport has the adaptive suspension and the 19" JCW Circuit Spokes. Maybe the JCW has different springs? I can't take a look as it's still sat at the dealership somewhere.
When you get it can you post a photo like mine? It would be interesting to see what the gaps look like.

The size of the wheels isn't that important to me, I just wanted to replace the stock 18" black alloys with something that looks better and wondered if 19's were an option. It looks like a set of after market 18" wheels may be the best option.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When you get it can you post a photo like mine? It would be interesting to see what the gaps look like.

The size of the wheels isn't that important to me, I just wanted to replace the stock 18" black alloys with something that looks better and wondered if 19's were an option. It looks like a set of after market 18" wheels may be the best option.
Yeah sure (y)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Part of the reason for not permitting 19" wheels on the adaptive suspension could be down to something daft like unsprung mass being too great for optimum damping with the 19" designs they had at the time.

The standard JCW sport wheels don't look bad in silver.

Moving up to 19" wheels will not affect the overall size of the wheel/tyre combo. It simply affects the alloy to tyre sidewall ratio. (more alloy, less tyre) I have test fitted a set of 16" wheels from an F55/56 which fit ok, so you have the option of the larger wheels from those models too. Not sure if 17's clear the giant JCW callipers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Part of the reason for not permitting 19" wheels on the adaptive suspension could be down to something daft like unsprung mass being too great for optimum damping with the 19" designs they had at the time.

The standard JCW sport wheels don't look bad in silver.

Moving up to 19" wheels will not affect the overall size of the wheel/tyre combo. It simply affects the alloy to tyre sidewall ratio. (more alloy, less tyre) I have test fitted a set of 16" wheels from an F55/56 which fit ok, so you have the option of the larger wheels from those models too. Not sure if 17's clear the giant JCW callipers.
The Clubman has a 57mm offset, where as all the other models appear to have 47mm. Will this likely cause issues using another models alloys on an F54 JCW?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The wheels from the F55/56 that I had were both ET54. (+54mm offset) 17" cosmos spoke and 16" loop spoke. I only have the loop spokes now as I sold the F55 with the cosmos fitted and kept these for winter. Not pretty but they fit on my cooper S just fine. (I know 16" is too small to fit the JCW) I guess the biggest concern will be the spokes not interfering with the calliper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interestingly when I specced my F60 JCW I wanted adaptive and at the time only option was the 18”s as you have mentioned was the case for you….however a couple weeks later (mid July) that changed and you could select the 19”s, but like others I decided to stick with 18”s for the ride etc. You mention the gap isn’t much, but bear in mind the 19”s are a lower profile tyre so gap likely to be similar anyway.
Interesting. I ordered mine in late May; it was built in July. I chose the 19" wheels in order to get the wider, 235/35 summer tires. The adaptive dampers were not an extra option, AFAIK, and selecting the 19" wheels did not delete anything in the package I selected (2022 JCW Clubman All4 with Iconic trim, U.S. export). So I guess I don't have adaptive dampers. Not sure.

I'm happy with the ride. I'm coming from a BMW M2. I'll take the bigger wheels and wider tires any day. The grip is amazing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Interesting. I ordered mine in late May; it was built in July. I chose the 19" wheels in order to get the wider, 235/35 summer tires. The adaptive dampers were not an extra option, AFAIK, and selecting the 19" wheels did not delete anything in the package I selected (2022 JCW Clubman All4 with Iconic trim, U.S. export). So I guess I don't have adaptive dampers. Not sure.

I'm happy with the ride. I'm coming from a BMW M2. I'll take the bigger wheels and wider tires any day. The grip is amazing.
Really not sure what the US spec looks like, but certainly are packaged up differently to UK. So how does it compare to your M2, as about 100hp down. I agree on the bigger and wider, had 21”s on my M40i, and had no issue ride-wise, but that also had adaptive which was fantastic. As I mentioned, the 18”s may end up being winters for me, and I either get 19” OEM a really nice aftermarket something like OZ wheels

·
Registered
42 Posts
we have had both 19 and 18 wheels on a f60 with adaptive suspension a jcw and Cooper s , lower profile makes both wheels as near as dam-it the same size , Evan a tyre size calculator says so , biggest difference is is in different brands and range of tyres

·
Registered
382 Posts
we have had both 19 and 18 wheels on a f60 with adaptive suspension a jcw and Cooper s , lower profile makes both wheels as near as dam-it the same size , Evan a tyre size calculator says so , biggest difference is is in different brands and range of tyres
Yes, and the one thing I was a bit gutted about was the fact there is now no chance of me winning the tyre lottery, as Michelin PS4’s start at 19”

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, and the one thing I was a bit gutted about was the fact there is now no chance of me winning the tyre lottery, as Michelin PS4’s start at 19”
that's 1 of the bad points of the bmw it has michelins , have never liked them , only got to wait until jan to get rid of it , no f 55 with the spec we want

·
Registered
3 Posts
Really not sure what the US spec looks like, but certainly are packaged up differently to UK. So how does it compare to your M2, as about 100hp down. I agree on the bigger and wider, had 21”s on my M40i, and had no issue ride-wise, but that also had adaptive which was fantastic. As I mentioned, the 18”s may end up being winters for me, and I either get 19” OEM a really nice aftermarket something like OZ wheels
In terms of the car being 100hp down on the M2, I'll let you know after break-in. I'm still taking it easy. I had a 2018 M2 with the older engine, which was rated very conservatively at 365hp. The M2 Competition, which I almost ordered instead of the MINI, was 405hp, but it also weighed 200 lbs more. (My new MINI is actually about the same size but heavier than the 2018 M2; it weighs about the same as the 2021 M2, but as you said it's down 100hp to that one.) Looking at 0-60 numbers: 2018 M2 was 4.1; 2021 M2 was 4.0; 2022 JCW Clubman All4 is 4.6. So the MINI is slower but still plenty fast, helped by the AWD.

Whether I like it or not, the JCW MINI All4 is easier to drive fast. The M2 required more intense focus, with oversteer controlled by the accelerator and steering input. Setting the M2 in Sport, the nannies allowed enough oversteer to make things very entertaining without letting me kill myself. With the MINI set to Sport, it just goes where you point it, using individual wheel braking to keep it almost perfectly neutral. My one complaint about the steering is that it gets weirdly light when accelerating out of a turn. I guess that's better than the old torque steer in the front-drive cars. But again, I haven't actually floored the accelerator yet, or taken the revs above 5k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all

I am trying to decided on whether to get the Intelligent Adaptive Suspension or Standard Sport Sus on my next JCW. Im worried Im losing out on handling if I go for anything to light. Whats the Intelligent Adaptive Suspension like?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts