Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have been looking into getting the new 2021 JCW and I have some questions about the new "Intelligent Adaptive Suspension"

As Default the JCW comes with Sports Suspension which I wished my current Cooper S was speced with but for a No cost Opinion you can spec this Intelligent Adaptive Suspension.

I have read up on what MINI Claims it does and also spoken with Dealers but no-one seems to have driven a car yet with this in. Summary of the feature, it monitors the way your driving and the road conditions and adapts unlike the old Adaptive Suspension which was basically followed which MINI Driving Mode you were in.

Does anyone here have Experience with this ? How good is it ? Is it worth getting over standard Sports ?

Registered
Hello all

I have been looking into getting the new 2021 JCW and I have some questions about the new "Intelligent Adaptive Suspension"

As Default the JCW comes with Sports Suspension which I wished my current Cooper S was speced with but for a No cost Opinion you can spec this Intelligent Adaptive Suspension.

I have read up on what MINI Claims it does and also spoken with Dealers but no-one seems to have driven a car yet with this in. Summary of the feature, it monitors the way your driving and the road conditions and adapts unlike the old Adaptive Suspension which was basically followed which MINI Driving Mode you were in.

Does anyone here have Experience with this ? How good is it ? Is it worth getting over standard Sports ?
馃ぃ I would like to know the answer to this one also. I've just ordered a Cooper S Sport Convertible with 18inch alloy's, this intelligent suspension comes fitted as standard and hoping it helps with the ride

Registered
Drove a Jcw on 18鈥 wheels with the adaptive suspension and it makes such a difference. Sticks like s#*t to a blanket round corners and roundabouts and make a much smoother ride. Tick the option box!

Registered
I鈥檝e just picked up a 2021 JCW LCi2 with adaptive and 18鈥 cup alloys. Ride is pretty savage (firm), although I have only done 75 miles. Tyres are Eagle F1 Runflats 馃槵

Other car is an X3 M with 20鈥 run flats. That glides by comparison.

Registered
Ps: as far as I can see it鈥檚 not configurable either. Not like in BMWs iDrive. Guessing it simply changes to its pre designated settings when you hit sport/mid etc.

Registered
Ps: as far as I can see it鈥檚 not configurable either. Not like in BMWs iDrive. Guessing it simply changes to its pre designated settings when you hit sport/mid etc.
With the new DDC, there is no 鈥淐onfigure Sport鈥 anymore! That鈥檚 terrible. I wanted a sharp throttle, but comfortable suspension and light steering. The default Mid gives you comfortable suspension and light steering but dull throttle response, while sport is less comfortable with unnecessarily heavy steering just to get the sharp throttle. I want my 鈥渃onfigure sport鈥 back, we鈥檙e not all dummies, BMW!

Registered
Nope it is a different system despite similar names. With the old DDC which I have you have to choose between soft or firm. One or the other no mix. With the new system you have the firm setting all the time but if you hit a pothole a special valve opens to soften the blow. If you hit a pothole the jolt over very quickly hence the use of the term frequency selection in some Mini bumph. It is not effected by the sport/mid selection. If it is executed well the new system is better but I have yet to try it to compare with the old DDC.

Registered
tbh it doesn't perform very well in real world conditions. And the constant firm set up with runflats explains a lot.

Registered
With the new adaptive suspension, they鈥檝e taken away the possibility to configure sport mode (they鈥檝e idiot-proofed the driving modes). As a result 鈥渕id鈥 is now the best mode IMO except that the throttle is less responsive. Sport mode suspension is too harsh for no reason and steering too heavy for no reason. In mid the car is composed and dare I say comfortable

Registered
Mini Hatch JCW LCI2
Interesting - I ticked this option so will be interesting to see how I get on with it next week onwards. Although once I鈥檝e burnt through the run flat tyres I鈥檒l probably swap them for M PS4 or M SS tyres.

Registered
My MCS is coming with the adaptive suspension - I don鈥檛 think the one I test drove had it, so it鈥檒l be interesting to see the difference鈥

Registered
I have a LCI2 JCW that I collected in June - agree with Washy - the road noise is quite bad and I didn't opt for the run flats (as apparently these are even worse). The intelligent suspension is very good, no problems doing the NC500 with uneven / poor road surfaces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts