Mini Cooper Forum banner

Intercooler replacement

10K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SNovo 
#1 ·
After getting my cooper s remapped i have a few upgrades planned, incl sports cat, air filter, jcw brakes n wheels, and intercooler, they are not going to be in order due to money and timing etc,

but shortly going to be removing the bumper to change out the grill and surround, but figured if I’m going to do this I might as well upgrade my intercooler ,

was looking at getting the airtek one

has anyone done this install themselves??,

there aren’t any comprehensive videos around apart from a few that skip or don’t clearly show certain steps,

i downloaded a pDF from forge that’s quite in depth,

I’m happy doing stuff like removing bumpers etc but am feeling quite hesitant at doing this job, the intercooler itself is not the problem, there is just quite a lot to remove to get to it, and I’m worried I might forget where bits go back etc, there was an advert soooom years ago where the young guy is fixing his car and the mum waggles a jar full of bits and says “ well done Jonny and you managed to save all these bits !!! “

yep my worst nightmare, trouble is I’m the kinda person that prefers doing a lot myself, as just don’t trust most garages, it’s bad enough I spent the 1st 3 years giving my car to the mini dealer to work on, I just don’t know any local garages that I can trust either

See less See more
#2 ·
After getting my cooper s remapped i have a few upgrades planned, incl sports cat, air filter, jcw brakes n wheels, and intercooler, they are not going to be in order due to money and timing etc,

but shortly going to be removing the bumper to change out the grill and surround, but figured if I’m going to do this I might as well upgrade my intercooler ,

was looking at getting the airtek one

has anyone done this install themselves??,

there aren’t any comprehensive videos around apart from a few that skip or don’t clearly show certain steps,

i downloaded a pDF from forge that’s quite in depth,

I’m happy doing stuff like removing bumpers etc but am feeling quite hesitant at doing this job, the intercooler itself is not the problem, there is just quite a lot to remove to get to it, and I’m worried I might forget where bits go back etc, there was an advert soooom years ago where the young guy is fixing his car and the mum waggles a jar full of bits and says “ well done Jonny and you managed to save all these bits !!! “

yep my worst nightmare, trouble is I’m the kinda person that prefers doing a lot myself, as just don’t trust most garages, it’s bad enough I spent the 1st 3 years giving my car to the mini dealer to work on, I just don’t know any local garages that I can trust either

Hello

Just buy a plug and play intercooler for your model ( it's just a simple replace part... i get your's out and fit the new one with no problem ) off course you need to get your front bumper off.

I have a F56 JCW and bought a REV9 intercooler that i's pretty much the same thing as AIRTEC and costs half the price. On ebay you can get a REV9 intercooler for about 250Euros + shipping... AItec costs the double for the same stuff.

If you looking for decat also you could get this: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Decat-Downp...807294?hash=item1ef8a8707e:g:G~QAAOSwS8Zcl8W~
Good price for both parts... i payed allmost 500 only for intercooler and shipping costs.

Hope i could help ;)

Regads
S.Novo

#3 ·
thanks for the advice, im not after a decat thou, but worth knowing re the cost, think i will be sticking with the airtek, however after thinking about it and already informing my insurer when i mapped the car, and paying the cost( relatively cheap) im not going to pay again thou, so all mods are going to wait till my insurance is near up next july, obviously would still like to hear any advice re installing an inter cooler

#6 ·
If you buy a plug&play intercooler you will be using your own OEM pipes ( no extra hard pipes needed ) just a replace part job.
And for the insurance you don't really need to make them know... the intercooler fitted looks pretty much like that's a OEM part ( no one can see the difference... and if you have something like an accident la last thing it could arrive is the insurance be paying for a new OEM intercooler instead of the airtec/Rev9... just that )... the decat after fitted you can't nottice or see it neider from the top or the bottom... it's an hidden part behind the car engine.

The 2 reasons i picked up REV9 intercooler instead of Airtec was the price in first place.. and then that Rev9 doesn't have a logo printed on, so it's easy to assume that's a OEM part...

Regards
SNovo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.