Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Brilliant Donna thank you; interesting reading!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Thanks for posting, the thing is it won't matter how advanced coatings get in future the Wax will always have a place and major roll to play IMHO, for me it's been sealants for years possibly 10 years know if not longer and they have improved by huge amount over the years for me anyway.

The interaction with the wax with hand application wins the day for most and many are scared they mess up the coating application but if instructions followed and common sense used then coats for new cars are great If well maintained and can give fantastic results and you can still use a little sacrificial layer to cure addiction problems.
I use Car Pro Hydyo2 as drying aid when car rinsed down I spray and apply even coat in 15 min rinsing panel at a time with power washer to get the excess residue off works great but not needed. If you are using the correct shampoo the leaves nothing behind to sit on the coating for example Gloss Enhancers or wax are a pest as mask the finish of the coating, and better with a shampoo that leaves nothing behind or sticks to the surface as defeats point of coating IMHO.
Wax on wheels looks good but the dust partials tend to embed in the wax where as they sit on top of the ceramic coating so easier to remove with out harsh chemicals effecting the coatings, well that's my experience of this subject.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the article would be interesting to those that find the 'detailing thing' a bit of a minefield :)

Coatings is defo the way if you're a "wash n go" kinda person or generally don't have the time and/or inclination to spend entire days cleaning.

I do wonder how I'll miss the detailing thing now I have my ceramic coatings. Just now it's still a novelty and I'm sure as **** won't miss the intensive cleaning in the winter. I'll probably give her a quick going over with some coats of AM Seal before the bad weather kicks in but that'll be about it.

I'm a total convert to coatings on the wheels though Derek, you are so right. No more sair fingers/hands with decontaminating and application of Wheel Sealent. Now that the C5 is on, they're amazingly easy to look after. Gonna treat my winter Tentacles to a bottle before I put them on the car in November ('cos all those spokes are a pain in the hoop!)

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I'd like something that is really good on the plastic-arches etc-tried autoglym , poor boys (nice and best so far) and mini own brand but nothing really lasts much mroe than a few weeks; what did they use on yours Donna and is there anything available commmercially that is better than this lot?

Reactions: donnaj1dlh

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have the Ceramic coating on all my plastic's Car Pro DLUX for me must be bare plastic and very even coat and any excess residue removed , I have all grills etc done on the JCW know that was fiddly and time consuming but gives a rich matte wet look and stops the greying effects well IMHO

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Thank you both. Fed up with everything so far so will try one of them. Thank you j

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for sharing the article Donna. :)

I feel that carnauba waxes still offer the best Concours d'Elegance aesthetics, but for street cars I end up preferring the newer ceramic coatings. There's certainly a time and place for both.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I won't rule out ceramic coatings, but I believe it kind of depends on how the owner uses the car & the time he/she wants to attribute to caring for it. Seems like ceramic coating is for the person who drives the car all-year round and doesn't have the time or desire to wash & wax, or wash, clay bar, polish & wax the car.

For me, I like the feel and smell of carnauba wax and it's a dream to apply and buff. The big chore is making sure the paint to ready for wax.....short cutting the process is where most make their mistake and it can make the scratches worse...better to leave it dirty! Sounds like ceramic coating makes the cleaning easier.

So, both methods have their good points. For now, I'm staying with carnauba based waxing, especially on the black cars with the added ingredient for dark colors. The shine is deep and can't really be that far behind ceramic coating, if at all. One of my old classic BMW's has Glasurit paint without clearcoat and there's no way I'd put any chemicals on that paint!

As for the vinyl treatment on the wheel openings, I've tried Vinylex & Griot's Garage Vinyl Trim Treatment, and so far the Griot's is the best...no streaking and seems to last. This is really something that's very easy to do, so a permanent fix is not an issue with me.

John

Reactions: derekh929

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
I had my JCW professionally sorted the day after I picked it up, fully sealed with a ceramic based coating. But those bloody wheel arches are still a PITA !!

Wheels ave been sealed too and as yet they have stayed pretty clean, and the rain just bounces off the windscreen now...

Will look at the C4 stuff though, because those arches really annoy me when they start to fade, and it doesn't take much for them to start going off colour....

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
What is wrong with my logic: paint treatments imply the manufacturer didn't paint it right? That's what I said to my dealer to stop them trying to sell some coating to me

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info Donna, got me thinking I haven't asked for any coating on my 64 plate MCSD that I pick up on Saturday (OMG) ..
Unusually the dealer pushes some sort of miracle coating as I think there is a large mark up in it.
I think its a good idea if it works, is there any brands that people have found don't work well? (Stop me picking one!)
I'm really pleased with the results I've got with GTechniq but Derek, as you'll have read, really rates CarPro.
My Crystal Serum coating can only be applied by a professional (unsure about CarPro) so it perhaps depends on what's local/convenient to you. My GTechniq took about 4 days in the garage .... prepping/applying/curing ... and it's not particularly cheap!
But others, like Jeremy, will tell you they've applied their own (I don't think I'd risk it!).

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is wrong with my logic: paint treatments imply the manufacturer didn't paint it right? That's what I said to my dealer to stop them trying to sell some coating to me
Not so much that Souper .... although I have seen some BAD manufacturers spray jobs - our brand new Boxster GTS was proof of that (now been restored to what it should have been like, by the same detailer that applied my ceramic coatings). In a lot of cases, paintwork looks fine to the naked eye but with the aid of a paint depth gauge and check light, all sorts of imperfections come to light .... marring, orange peel, overspray, buffer trails etc.
The ceramic coatings we talk about also provides EXTRA protection to the paint (once it's in perfect condition ... don't want to seal in imperfections as that will require wet sanding to remove the coatings) so paintwork isn't so readily damaged with bird lime, tree sap etc etc and it makes car washing a lot easier.
I live in an areas with a high seagull population and they don't half make some mess! And it doesn't take long for it to make a permanent mark on untreated paint. Wax does help but not 100% protect.

I remember when Supaguard was all the rage ...... wouldn't go near it now, dealers always made a mess applying it.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
HARIBO uses Carnuba/Carnauba Wax on there Gummi Bears to give it that nice shine. If it good enough for my beloved Gummi Bears than it is good enough for my Mini.:D:D

What's in Those Haribo Gummy Bears?

INGREDIENTS
German: Glucose syrup; sugar; gelatin; dextrose; fruit juice from concentrate: apple, strawberry, raspberry, orange, lemon, pineapple; citric acid, lemon, pineapple; citric acid; fruit and plant concentrates: nettle, apple, spinach, kiwi, orange, elderberry, lemon, mango, passionfruit, blackcurrant, aronia, grape; flavorings; glazing agents: white and yellow beeswax; carnauba wax; elderberry extract; fruit extract from carob; invert sugar syrup

American (Turkish): Corn syrup, sugar, gelatin, dextrose, citric acid, starch, artificial and natural flavors, fractionated coconut oil, carnauba wax, beeswax coating, artificial colors: yellow 5, red 40, blue 1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts