Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our (new-to-us) F57 convertible a few weeks ago and it's a cracking motor. It wasn't our first choice of colour combination but then you don't always get what you want buying used.

The "problem" is that it's all black on the inside - dash, trim, leather seats and, because it's a soft top, the inside of the roof too. It's all rather gloomy (especially in comparison to my Lexus which is basically all ivory).

Don't get me wrong - it looks great, but a splash of colour or something wouldn't go amiss. Anyone have any suggestions on what we might be able to do in that regard?

·
Super Moderator
8,526 Posts
IK have a feeling you can replace the infills ie the plastic or aluminium trims on the dash above the glove box and along between the airvents and on the door cards-but could be wrong-bet you could have them wrapped if not?

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S F57
60 Posts
We have the same interior. The Mini Yours trim on the dash gives a bit color.
And although I don't like dark interiors in general, I do like the black in the Mini. It is a rich kind of black and therefore it doesn't bother me that much.
But I agree on the inside of the roof. That is too much and gives you the feeling you're locked up into a small, dark, room.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This vendor has some interesting dash panel covers: Store Closed

They're currently on holiday though April 5th, so the website is closed. Check Pinterest or do a google search.
Thanks, seems there's also a company called Killallchrome doing similar things.

Two problems though. First, I think you'd really want it in the same colour scheme as your bodywork, wouldn't you? In my case, pepper white. Sadly, noone does that.

Second...do they possibly kook a bit naff? Anyone got any experience? To be fair, on this video here, they actually look quite well made, such that the edges curve around to hide the original trim quite well. (My thought is that I could actually spray them in pepper white.)

·
Premium Member
F56 JCW and Classic
897 Posts
I have seen a Youtube video showing how to remove the panel on the passenger side, but not the one behind the steering wheel. Have you got any links to tutorials on that?
Just pull it out like the other side I think, I loosened mine when I was doing my audio upgrade and there was only a few clips.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Im currently in the process of pulling off and having some of the interior trim color match painted to my exterior color to bring some of that color to the inside. I loved the way it looked on my 2006 R53.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We got our (new-to-us) F57 convertible a few weeks ago and it's a cracking motor. It wasn't our first choice of colour combination but then you don't always get what you want buying used.

The "problem" is that it's all black on the inside - dash, trim, leather seats and, because it's a soft top, the inside of the roof too. It's all rather gloomy (especially in comparison to my Lexus which is basically all ivory).

Don't get me wrong - it looks great, but a splash of colour or something wouldn't go amiss. Anyone have any suggestions on what we might be able to do in that regard?
A nice subtle and easy touch would be to mimic the ambient lighting as on the new Minis with Moulding Trim ( some great colours out there) along dash, doors, and beyond if you so wish 😉

Must admit wish the ambient lighting was more noticeable in duller day drives, but with the trim you are switched on all the time 😂

Automotive tire Automotive design Gesture Hood Communication Device

·
Registered
164 Posts
A nice subtle and easy touch would be to mimic the ambient lighting as on the new Minis with Moulding Trim ( some great colours out there) along dash, doors, and beyond if you so wish 😉

Must admit wish the ambient lighting was more noticeable in duller day drives, but with the trim you are switched on all the time 😂

View attachment 78739
I am trying to find a good product to add to the ambient lighting in my BMW, there are so many different types of light strips, can you recommend one that is extremely thin so that I can squeeze it between the panels better👌

1 - 16 of 16 Posts