Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with an intermittent (can't replicate it) problem with the clutch.

It first started as the clutch feeling a bit "soft" just at the final 1/3 of the clutch depression. Except for the funny feeling, everything worked properly. Only happened about once a month, but always seems to happen when gearing down, into 2nd or 1st.

More recently have had situations where after the "soft " feeling I have then not been able to move the shifter into another gear. After removing my foot from the clutch and depressing again the clutch felt completely normal and was able to shift properly.

Most recently the last few times this has happened when I released the clutch it did not come back properly and I had to use my foot to pull it back. Once I did that, the next time I depressed the clutch it was perfectly normal !

There is no grinding noise, when the clutch works, it is very smooth and the shifting is easy. Of course when I take it in to the dealer and they drive it for 20 minutes it looks like it is "perfectly fine"

Has anyone seen this type of problem and have any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with an intermittent (can't replicate it) problem with the clutch.

It first started as the clutch feeling a bit "soft" just at the final 1/3 of the clutch depression. Except for the funny feeling, everything worked properly. Only happened about once a month, but always seems to happen when gearing down, into 2nd or 1st.

More recently have had situations where after the "soft " feeling I have then not been able to move the shifter into another gear. After removing my foot from the clutch and depressing again the clutch felt completely normal and was able to shift properly.

Most recently the last few times this has happened when I released the clutch it did not come back properly and I had to use my foot to pull it back. Once I did that, the next time I depressed the clutch it was perfectly normal !

There is no grinding noise, when the clutch works, it is very smooth and the shifting is easy. Of course when I take it in to the dealer and they drive it for 20 minutes it looks like it is "perfectly fine"

Has anyone seen this type of problem and have any suggestions.
Engine thrust bearing wear. Take it to the MINI dealer. I see new engine is in your future.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep! It's your bearing, sam thing happened to me. I was really frustrated, and I thought it was my clutch slave cylinder or master, so I bleed those things like 20 times and still he that issue.. I finally asked around in this forum and they told me its my bearing! It turns out the car had a recall on it and they replaced the whole engine for free!!! Go to the dealership and they'll fix it.. your probably gonna get a loaner for a week or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an issue where on quick changes the clutch doesn't return quickly and hits the underside of my foot. Does that sound related to this problem?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
CRM welcome to the forum it could be possible just to be on the safe side have your Dealer check it out.;)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have an issue where on quick changes the clutch doesn't return quickly and hits the underside of my foot. Does that sound related to this problem?
Not sure if I can reconcile "not returning quickly" and "hitting the underside of my foot". If it returns slowly, your foot might lift off the pedal. If it hits your foot, it sounds like the pedal is returning too quickly, if anything.

:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, what I mean is, if I go to lift my foot off the clutch after the gear change it doesn't return at the same speed as my foot lifting off it and then as it completely returns I feel it tap the underside of my foot. Not easy to describe.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sorry, what I mean is, if I go to lift my foot off the clutch after the gear change it doesn't return at the same speed as my foot lifting off it and then as it completely returns I feel it tap the underside of my foot. Not easy to describe.
That sounds like a milder version of the symptoms that people who have had the Crankshaft Thrust Bearing issue have seen. In their cases the pedal didn't come up at all.

Definitely take it in to MINI. They will inspect the bearings and replace them. If there is any engine damage you'll get a new engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Just bring it in, I'm more than certain you'll be getting a new engine and a loaner for a week or 2! And it's all for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts