Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So having ordered at the end of May, yesterday I went to pick up my new Cooper S.
It was there looking absolutely splendid under the showroom lighting complete with small blue ribbons on the doors and roof.
Unfortunately it's still there and now waiting for a new owner as it has turned up without the HUD. So I've now had to place a new order and wait until October (probably for it to turn up)

On the plus side I'll be getting a 64 plate and in the meantime I've been given this fairly well speced black Cooper S to run round in.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wow... I'm surprised how often these mistakes are happening. At least your dealer seems to have kept you satisfied...

Does this one have a HUD?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one does have the HUD. It doesn't have parking sensors or the driving assistance but I can't think of much else that's missing. Its listed on their website as being for sale at £22850 (I think). As its done 4000 it means I don't have to worry about running it and can fully enjoy using it to max straight away, then when I get my proper one look after it with kid gloves for those first few miles.

I can't fault the dealer. Think they were more upset than I was. I just said mistakes happen and how about throwing in the JCW steering wheel in to compensate as that wasn't on my original spec - and they said yes.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
So many mistakes...what are MINI/Dealerships playing at?

·
Registered
303 Posts
So many mistakes...what are MINI/Dealerships playing at?
Re: the various specification/build errors being reported - I think that the biggest problem is that the dealership sales & admin staff are still unfamiliar with the new option codes, and then the orders are not being double-checked sufficiently once they're on the factory system.

I've previously suggested, on this forum, that everyone should go back to their dealer (a day or two after signing the order) and ask to see a confirmation of the order that is actually on the factory system. I did this and my contact was surprised to be asked - but then said he would check every order himself in future!

I firmly believe (having been on the factory tour) that, apart from human error (affecting small trim items & similar), the factory build exactly what is on the order. The build system is amazingly automated... and every car on the line is unique.

The factory didn't 'forget' the HUD in this case - because everything in the car including the wiring-loom is related... it simply wasn't on the order, and this dealer could/should have checked. They obviously hadn't picked it up at all.... until the customer refused to take delivery!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for your mishap and eventual delay, but I think the dealer has taken considerable effort to make it up to you. If I am not mistaking, the dealer car in the photo has 18" wheels. Do you find the ride comfortable? What about wheel spin? What tyres does the car wear?

I have a MCS with 17' Michelins (non-run flats), which I find very comfortable (especially in the suspension's "soft" mode. However, I have wheel spin. Of course, the slippery roads here in Athens do not help the latter, as well...

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sorry to hear this mate, I had a similar experience with roof and mirrors arriving in body colour.

My saleswoman was more upset than me, not entirely sure how I managed to keep so calm tbh, maybe having my kids there helped.

Interesting you mentioning about the JCW steering wheel, aside from me having various demos I've not really pinned them down to what I'm getting to compensate the situation.

Anyway enjoy the S while you've got it, hope the new one comes a bit quicker too.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Sorry for your mishap and eventual delay, but I think the dealer has taken considerable effort to make it up to you. If I am not mistaking, the dealer car in the photo has 18" wheels. Do you find the ride comfortable? What about wheel spin? What tyres does the car wear?

I have a MCS with 17' Michelins (non-run flats), which I find very comfortable (especially in the suspension's "soft" mode. However, I have wheel spin. Of course, the slippery roads here in Athens do not help the latter, as well...

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.
The one they have given me is on 18' and I think they are runflats, not sure of the brand and I don't think it has the variable suspension option. I can't compare the ride to the 17 on the new model , but the ride is nowhere near as hard as my 2004 Cooper that I traded in. That had 16 inch runflats and the Sports Suspension Plus optional suspension.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re:

I've previously suggested, on this forum, that everyone should go back to their dealer (a day or two after signing the order) and ask to see a confirmation of the order that is actually on the factory system. I did this and my contact was surprised to be asked - but then said he would check every order himself in future!

I firmly believe (having been on the factory tour) that, apart from human error (affecting small trim items & similar), the factory build exactly what is on the order. The build system is amazingly automated... and every car on the line is unique.
Was I did once the order was placed and I had access to the VIN number, I typed it into the BMW archive site: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Thanks to the site you have a list of all of the options included on your car... pretty useful :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Was I did once the order was placed and I had access to the VIN number, I typed it into the BMW archive site: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Thanks to the site you have a list of all of the options included on your car... pretty useful :)
I did that too Minissy - but by the time the VIN is issued, it's too late to correct an error!

People really should check what is going to be built for them & correct any input errors before the car goes into production...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got a horrible feeling they've missed off my Driving Assistance pack, which is one of the reasons I ordered the HUD. We will see. I'm trying not to think about it at present as I'll not know for sure until I see the car itself...still with no definite date, despite an allocated registration now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've got a horrible feeling they've missed off my Driving Assistance pack, which is one of the reasons I ordered the HUD. We will see. I'm trying not to think about it at present as I'll not know for sure until I see the car itself...still with no definite date, despite an allocated registration now.
Have you asked for a copy of your order?

My dealer sent me an email with a screen dump of the order to the factory. I would ask for that, as you then know what options they've put in to be built.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, I had a screen dump, but being a screen dump there were things not visible where the details box scrolled off. I'm mentally prepared, but I'm hoping I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yep, no Driver's Assistance pack. It either didn't get ordered in the first place, or fell off when I changed the steering wheel to the JCW one. The silver lining is I am spending less than I thought.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news! I had a phone call from my dealer yesterday and my replacement order is progressing. I think they said the status had changed to 5055 and that the expected delivery date is 23rd September. Even if this is the date they will receive it rather than when I can pick it up that's not bad to say it was only ordered on 12 August. I was expecting it to be some time in the middle of October.

I hope this one comes with all the right options fitted or who knows what'll happen. I bet the dealer hopes it does too.

I'm enjoying driving the back loaner especially as I haven't had to run it in and will probably miss the full leather interior when I hand it back but I won't miss how quick the black paint starts to show the muck up after it has been out in the rain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good news! I had a phone call from my dealer yesterday and my replacement order is progressing. I think they said the status had changed to 5055 and that the expected delivery date is 23rd September. Even if this is the date they will receive it rather than when I can pick it up that's not bad to say it was only ordered on 12 August. I was expecting it to be some time in the middle of October.

I hope this one comes with all the right options fitted or who knows what'll happen. I bet the dealer hopes it does too.

I'm enjoying driving the back loaner especially as I haven't had to run it in and will probably miss the full leather interior when I hand it back but I won't miss how quick the black paint starts to show the muck up after it has been out in the rain.
Mine has also jumped forward almost 4 weeks :D

On the subject of specification, my dealer provided a comprehensive print out of the order which was then signed by both parties (this has been a normal experience when ordering any BMW product). I changed the order a few times and each time a new summary order was sent to me which I then signed and returned...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine has also jumped forward almost 4 weeks :D

On the subject of specification, my dealer provided a comprehensive print out of the order which was then signed by both parties (this has been a normal experience when ordering any BMW product). I changed the order a few times and each time a new summary order was sent to me which I then signed and returned...
I signed one of those when the order was placed and no changes to the spec were made between then and the cars delivery, someone just made a mistake in between and missed one of the options off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Things are moving quickly - I had a call as I was driving home from work today to say my new car has been delivered to the dealers. This time it does have the HUD that was missing last time, plus all the other options I specified - and the JCW steering wheel I got them to throw in. All being well I'll be picking it on Saturday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts