Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an eventful day. Picked up my second Mini from John Clark Tayside (who were excellent) and drove it right out of the showroom -which was a nice touch I will never forget- and right into a blizzard!

Back home in one piece. Car drives like a dream. Absolutely love this car! Cooper SD 5 Door manual with lots of toys including HUD and EDC.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
awe sweet as or what,makes me so jealous it does. Need more photos so i know what mines gonna be like in just over 4 weeks lol.... When ya ready like ,come on hurry up,shake a leg,chop chop,quick smart,lol ;-)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awe sweet as or what,makes me so jealous it does. Need more photos so i know what mines gonna be like in just over 4 weeks lol.... When ya ready like ,come on hurry up,shake a leg,chop chop,quick smart,lol ;-)
Will get on the case for you tomorrow.

Got a brilliant deal - very very significant discount (well over 3K). Played one dealership against the other. My local(ish) one found a newly built one in Ireland, shipped it over for me... spec almost exactly what I wanted save for the moonroof which I can definitely live without. They were desperate to get it out by end of December to make up sales figures for their franchise but in the end they've put it down as a Jan 2015 car anyway. 0 Miles on the clock. Approached them mid December last year - picked it up today!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Will get on the case for you tomorrow.

Got a brilliant deal - very very significant discount (well over 3K). Played one dealership against the other. My local(ish) one found a newly built one in Ireland, shipped it over for me... spec almost exactly what I wanted save for the moonroof which I can definitely live without. They were desperate to get it out by end of December to make up sales figures for their franchise but in the end they've put it down as a Jan 2015 car anyway. 0 Miles on the clock. Approached them mid December last year - picked it up today!
Always nice when it works out for you buddy. They are happy and you are too so good all round,just a shame about the weather but hey ho such is life. Yeah will be good to see some more shots though ;-)

Enjoy your new ride..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers all - and I did drive out into a blizzard that day. Somewhat unusual way to introduce myself to The Vish. Had a 70 mile trip to get back, half of which was in those conditions.

On my way down to the dealership (my deal making meant I rejected the local dealership who weren't playing ball, and had to travel 70 miles south) I took it very steady as snow had already started settling on the high ground. A bloke in a Mondeo passed me driving far too quickly for the conditions. Suffice to say, ten minutes later, said MondeoMan's car was balanced precariously on the central reservation's crash barrier!

On my way back passed 10 cars off the road - six in a pile up. Still amazes me how one flurry of snow can have such a dramatic result - and we're talking Scotland here!

Weather's still pretty poor right now, but promise photos when it clears up.

Reactions: tandberg

·
Registered
966 Posts
While we'd all like some more photos, be careful no numpties run into you once the snow starts to lie.

So are your local dealers aware of your deal making skills?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While we'd all like some more photos, be careful no numpties run into you once the snow starts to lie.

So are your local dealers aware of your deal making skills?
Well, yes they definitely are as ironically I bought the car from the same franchise so have helped them too! You'll know them well Mike as it's Aberdeen vs. Dundee. I spent a great deal of time in Aberdeen, and we bought the wife's car from them (used 2013 ONE), but always got the feeling that they just weren't going to give in with the price - they did offer me a substantial discount, but only on cars they had in their showroom at the time and the discount ranged from an additional £1k off a showroom cooper to £1.5K off a cooper s. Coupled with the fact that they were offering a trade in value which was only £250 more than webuyanycar and I decided to walk.

A friend of mine who buys a lot of BMWs suggested going to Tayside to get a better deal, quoting the fact that the two camps often like to compete (I'm putting it nicely here), or even further south where there's more competition so that's what I did. The reception I received from Dundee was much better - they knew I was serious as I'd taken the time to visit them and the salesperson I dealt with there was friendly, personable and professional. I also got the impression they were passionate about the cars themselves which impressed me after previously having had to deal with Arnold Clark where cars are seen as conveyor belt commodities.

Even then I had to do my homework and the first quote I got was okay, but nothing special. It was only when I started directly comparing prices with much bigger franchises that they perked up. In my case I looked at Sytner.

So, hopefully I'm not being misread here - I'm not bragging about getting a discount, just hopefully helping people to realise that the more work you do the bigger saving you can get. Pick a good time of year - end of december, end of feb and end of september are all good dates and go armed with as much info and comparable deals to a couple of dealerships and let them fight a little to get your money. Sytner has a good service where you can search all their cars and elect to receive emails if the prices go down... in other words, some of the leg work is automated for you.

If there's three bits of advice I would recommend they would be - do your homework, always be good natured and pleasant and don't be afraid of silence. The latter especially comes from my dear late father who did it all the time when buying a car. People hate silence. When you're near to the deal you want but aren't quite there, just go quiet. No one likes it and even hardy salesmen crumble a little and start offering a few incentives (I did this on the phone, and they offered to waive the cherished number fee transfer). It also helps if you have your keys to hand. Just casually tap them on the table in front of you. Drives people insane.

Oh yes - another bit. Gap insurance. Do your homework again. Mini were offering Gap at £299, I got them down to £150 which was cheaper than the cheapest site I could find... again because they'd rather get something than nothing.

At then end of this I know they've still made lots of money from me, and that's absolutely fine - you never ever make money on a car. I've driven away feeling I've got a good deal and they know that when the time comes for my next car I'm likelier to go with them than the dealership who was more concerned with making that little bit of extra profit than customer loyalty.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Thanks for taking the effort on the reply.

Fair play to you, there must be plenty folk up here that have done the same, I often see tayside stickers on the back windows.

It's not something I ever considered, as I was happy with the figures I got, and as an early adopter ordering a few weeks after they came out the discounts were pretty much the same across the country (if the forums are to be believed).

Two F56s in the family, definitely need some pictures now.

Probably a stupid question, but would you use JC up here for any warranty work, servicing etc or do you plan going back to Dundee?

·
Registered
288 Posts
always makes me laugh and cringe when it snows as many people simply do not adjust their driving for the conditions.
One year it was snowing hard and i was out walking my dog down in the valley and i could hear a Subaru imprezza getting up to speed real quick from the traffic lights and i thought to myself what a wally in this weather driving like that.

No soon as i thought that their was silence and a swish and then a bang and a crunching sound and then silence again. I hear a car door open and it was creaking too due to it being smashed and then i could hear a voice the voice of the driver in the distance and i clearly hear this voice, and it said oh no F*^k"N% believe this my car no oh S*8t i just smashed up my car.

Serves you right dipstick,slow down as this stuff happens to Rodneys like you

I couldn't stop laughing,it made my day did that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for taking the effort on the reply.

Fair play to you, there must be plenty folk up here that have done the same, I often see tayside stickers on the back windows.

It's not something I ever considered, as I was happy with the figures I got, and as an early adopter ordering a few weeks after they came out the discounts were pretty much the same across the country (if the forums are to be believed).

Two F56s in the family, definitely need some pictures now.

Probably a stupid question, but would you use JC up here for any warranty work, servicing etc or do you plan going back to Dundee?
There's no right or wrong in all of this Mike. When I first started looking I was adamant that I'd settle for a used cooper 2012 model... £12K more later and I'm delighted with my brand new SD... and I do feel a tad hypocritical. If you walk away feeling satisfied then you can't ask for more.

The story continues. The short answer is I have already had the previous car (2014 cooper auto, also bought at Tayside a few months ago, now in the capable hands of my silver brigade 70 year old Mum who loves it to bits) in with Aberdeen. Had a very helpful conversation with them so all is fine - you can get your servicing and issues sorted locally with no issue.

The story however, and this is a little indicative of how I read the situation is that it just so happens that as I was waiting in the service section the person I was trying to do a deal with in Aberdeen walked in. He was pleasant enough, said hello and quickly walked off... the company was having a general meeting and minutes later the manager from Tayside came up to me, shook my hand, asked how I was, thanked my for my business and enquired about the family and how the car was going. A much different approach to customer care - and at this point we'd already settled on my car so it was a genuine thank you. Even further to this the salesman who I dealt with in Dundee has offered to sort out all the issues with transferring over ownership and cherished number transfers on the cooper - he didn't have to do this and it saves me from getting it wrong with the DVLA (it's a complicated process due to several factors). Again - a bit of extra work on their part, offered freely which will make a difference down the line if I choose to go Mini again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey Sunil i Wonder who will get some proper decent photo's loaded first out of you and me lol, You still got 10 days on me ;-) Is it a race,,,vroom vroom

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Darn it Dave... well I have the weekend (assuming weather's not too poor) to give it a throughly good clean.

I've currently got my winter 16 inch silver loop wheels on - which I really like, but they're not my black alloys which really finish the car off perfectly.

10 days eh? You must be champing at the bit!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Darn it Dave... well I have the weekend (assuming weather's not too poor) to give it a throughly good clean.

I've currently got my winter 16 inch silver loop wheels on - which I really like, but they're not my black alloys which really finish the car off perfectly.

10 days eh? You must be champing at the bit!
Sunil its crazy mate,im dying to go over and have a peek but im resisting the urge as the first time i see it i want to drive it away. YEah will be a long ten days i can tell you. Im going to get a few shots i hope the same day if our lass lets me stop somewhere nice to get some.

Its great aint it the feeling lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sunil its crazy mate,im dying to go over and have a peek but im resisting the urge as the first time i see it i want to drive it away. YEah will be a long ten days i can tell you. Im going to get a few shots i hope the same day if our lass lets me stop somewhere nice to get some.

Its great aint it the feeling lol
..and the best thing is, the good feeling doesn't go away.

Woke up this morning, looked at the driveway and thought, 'yep, that's the car for me'.

Parked my car in the local multi storey today and went and did some shopping. Came back, spied the car in amongst all the others and thought 'yep, that's the best looking car here for sure!'.

Went to collect my son from school and thought, 'yep, this is the craziest car here'.

... you get the idea ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
..and the best thing is, the good feeling doesn't go away.

Woke up this morning, looked at the driveway and thought, 'yep, that's the car for me'.

Parked my car in the local multi storey today and went and did some shopping. Came back, spied the car in amongst all the others and thought 'yep, that's the best looking car here for sure!'.

Went to collect my son from school and thought, 'yep, this is the craziest car here'.

... you get the idea ;)
I certainly do get it buddy.....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yaaaas! Will we be seeing this beauty round the 'Shire??? I'll keep my eye peeled for my twinny!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts