Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very early I know, but does anyone have any idea when we may see the snap in for the new iPhones?

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Very early I know, but does anyone have any idea when we may see the snap in for the new iPhones?
Getting a little ahead of yourself here >:D.. Mini hasn't even come out with a snap in for the samsung s5 yet and they have some kind of advanced relationship with them. Grrrrrrr. Need I also say he Mini connected app is poor at best?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting a little ahead of yourself here >:D.. Mini hasn't even come out with a snap in for the samsung s5 yet and they have some kind of advanced relationship with them. Grrrrrrr. Need I also say he Mini connected app is poor at best?
I have the android version of connected on my work HTC and it isn't as good as the iPhone one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems to me the Mini Connected features are made exclusively for the iPhone/iPod anyway. I've only had my car since May so I could be wrong for lack of knowledge. If I'm right, it seems that MINI would take care to keep up with their favorite peripheral devices. When I came here to research, I see that some may still be waiting for an iPhone 5 adapter. Will the dealer know something, because the Apple store didn't have any info for me. :|

·
Registered
15 Posts
The adapter in the armrest has nothing to do with MiniConnected and the iPhone application. In fact I'm not sure you can correctly connect to MiniConnected if the phone is in the armrest. The armrest sleeve is merely a hugely expensive charger. The connection under the centerstack is what you want for an iPhone and I think it charges as well just using a USB/dock connector like an iPod. I'd be surprised if Mini ever made an armrest sleeve for the new iPhones. Why would they?

Reactions: wwwjosje

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The adapter in the armrest has nothing to do with MiniConnected and the iPhone application. In fact I'm not sure you can correctly connect to MiniConnected if the phone is in the armrest. The armrest sleeve is merely a hugely expensive charger. The connection under the centerstack is what you want for an iPhone and I think it charges as well just using a USB/dock connector like an iPod. I'd be surprised if Mini ever made an armrest sleeve for the new iPhones. Why would they?
You get full MINI connected and media with the correct snap in adaptor plus a direct connection to the car antenna so in theory you will get better reception on the phone. There has been a cradle for every iPhone so far so would expect there to be one for the new phones at some point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You get full MINI connected and media with the correct snap in adaptor plus a direct connection to the car antenna so in theory you will get better reception on the phone. There has been a cradle for every iPhone so far so would expect there to be one for the new phones at some point.
OK thanks for clearing that up. But I still think one can do everything the snap in adaptor does just using a simple white USB/dock wire. It might even charge the phone. I just think the snap in has sort of died like the CD player.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK thanks for clearing that up. But I still think one can do everything the snap in adaptor does just using a simple white USB/dock wire. It might even charge the phone. I just think the snap in has sort of died like the CD player.
Yes you can. it is just a shame MINI don't bother to fit a USB in the arm rest. I personally hate the white cable in the dash look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Message from Mini UK

I received the following information in answer to a question regarding an iphone6 cradle;

Thank you for your email dated October 6, 2014. I am sorry to learn that there was no iPhone adaptor available for the armrest on your new MINI. I can certainly appreciate your disappointment, especially as you are such a loyal customer to the brand.

We do endeavour to make all of our vehicles compatible with all of the latest mobile devices on the market. As I am sure you can appreciate mobile technology works at a very fast pace. Once a device is released there is a lot of work in the background requesting information from the mobile manufacturer for details of their technology in order that we may produce cables and adapters. Unfortunately, this sometimes takes longer that we would like. I can advise that, Apple have now released their technology to us and we are working to create compatible accessories, which of course takes time to produce and to test.

I would like to assure you that your complaint has been taken seriously and details of your email have been duly noted under case reference number x-xxxxxxxxxxx. Feedback is an important factor when we review the products and services that are provided.

Thank you again for contacting MINI UK. Please do not hesitate to contact me, should you have any enquiries in the future.

Yours sincerely

MINI UK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Big mini fail!

Don't hold your breath. Apple introduced mini connector (ironic?) almost two years ago and still no adapter for the arm rest connector. The dealer promised it, as did mini support, at the time of my purchase a year ago. My dark knight edition came with an adapter that was part of expensive features package, but is totally unusable. As a customer who has purchased two minis in the last three years, I feel a bit screwed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Big mini fail!

Don't hold your breath. Apple introduced mini connector (ironic?) almost two years ago and still no adapter for the arm rest connector. The dealer promised it, as did mini support, at the time of my purchase a year ago. My dark knight edition came with an adapter that was part of expensive features package, but is totally unusable. As a customer who has purchased two minis in the last three years, I feel a bit screwed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, I'm really not sure why one would think that slipping your phone into an arm rest is as antiquated as a CD player, except to say that he was proven wrong and is a sore loser, so he felt the need to have the last word in some manner. I see nothing "new" and "technologically forward" about having an iPhone stuffed into a cupholder with wires showing. Furthermore, some of us have iPods utilizing that connector and need to charge the phone somewhere. Phones have limited storage. Classic iPods have plenty of space for music, so I use two different devices and don't want to switch them out every time I need to decide between one or the other. Seems to me that the best solution for maximizing every bit of technology in a car that small is to include as many places to clip things in and stow them as possible. No one wants a cluttered Mini.

Having said all that, it took almost a year for them to release a cradle for the iPhone 5s. The lighting technology was new then, so perhaps this next cradle will come out a bit faster.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm... so if you have the iPhone 5/5S snap-in cradle with the lightning connection, obviously the iPhone 6 is bigger and wouldn't fit into the snap-in... but could you still connect something like this inside the armrest so at least your phone can be tucked away in there and connected/charging?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 103 Posts