Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm thinking about lashing out and buying the iPhone 7 plus but I've been reading reports of Bluetooth issues with some BMWs. Just wondering if anyone here has a late model Mini Cooper (f55/56) with Bluetooth who has one of these phones and whether they have any problems with Bluetooth connections? Or even better, NO issues :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
iPhone 7/7+s currently have a known issue with MINIs/BMWs. Apple changed the Bluetooth hardware and it does not play nice with iDrive. Music will play for about 30 seconds and then stop and won't come back until a re-pair or restart. There is a bulletin out about it now and at the moment, the new iPhone is not a supported device. BMW is in contact with Apple to help them fix the problem for the next iOS update, but until then, it definitely doesn't work as it is supposed to.

I have a 7+ and I have mixed results. Some days it works perfectly and some days I get the play for 30 seconds problem that doesn't go away.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a 7+ and I have mixed results. Some days it works perfectly and some days I get the play for 30 seconds problem that doesn't go away.

Does it work on USB?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Does it work on USB?
Haven't tried yet, but I'm stubborn. I want it to work with Bluetooth or I don't want to bother with it at all! :p

I have a 7 plus and it works via USB for me - I have the basic radio system though..
Does this apply to Bluetooth Telephone Functions too or are the issues limited to Music Streaming only?
Only Bluetooth audio seems to be affected, so if you have the basic radio, you probably wouldn't have any issues.

I have had ONE instance where my phone call audio wasn't working either, but it was right after my music crapped out and hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
An update: iOS 10.1 seems to fix this issue. If you haven't updated, do it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an F56 with visual boost, and since i bought it, I have changed from iPhone 5s->iPhone 7 (all inbetween iOS), and all I have is bluetooth problems. I changed the HU 3 times and still have problems... So there is NO solution to it!!! And I 've tried everything. After 18 months of mini ownership and no final solution, BMW officially said its my iPhones (meaning all?) problem and the salesman who didn't clarify the functions operating (??) After this ridiculous excuse, I stopped searching for a solution. Its a wonderful car except for the crankshaft (and some other minor) recalls, so I decided to stop nagging and just use the **** car with bluetooth issues. It costs me less energy :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
So I have a 7+ and yeah, I sometimes get bluetooth issues, even with the latest dev version of IOS (currently 10.2), but I normally connect up via USB. Note the word sometimes. Sometimes it plays like its stuttering, or it'll just pause. I noticed the bluetooth issues cause, and this is kinda funny, its too big for the center arm rest with the leather case, so it presses on the power button and eventually resets itself.

So now I just use another USB cable. Bluetooh isn't worth the pain to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Music plays fine on my iPhone 7 with visual boost. With calls I get really annoying pops every few minutes. On USB audio no problems except my google maps alerts are too loud. The HK distorts pretty bad, haven't figured out how to set that volume yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a problem with my iPhone 7 (IOS 10.1.1). When I connect it to the USB port the the phone starts to ding rapidly and the battery symbol flashes. Anybody know what could cause that? I can plug in an iPhone 5 or 6 and they connect and charge properly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Music plays fine on my iPhone 7 with visual boost. With calls I get really annoying pops every few minutes. On USB audio no problems except my google maps alerts are too loud. The HK distorts pretty bad, haven't figured out how to set that volume yet.

I think my car was waiting for me to post this, before deciding to mess with me.

Yesterday I had my phone plugged in via USB and I also had Bluetooth on. Music was playing without issue and Siri worked just fine. Then I got a call, and as soon as it ended the iPhone AND the head unit started glitching. The head unit restarted a few times(the mini splash screen when you start the car appeared), phone rebooted, and this just kept happening for about 5 mins. I had to stop the car, unplug the phone and restart the car. Glitch happened all day yesterday after this point, so I figured I'd record a video of it with another phone, but I haven't been able to repeat the problem today.

I know the car automatically chooses USB audio, but is it possible that having both Bluetooth and USB connected can cause such a problem? My other thought is that the manual says the USB port is not for charging, so maybe the iPhone was drawing too much charge and that caused a glitch?

I have visual boost, HK and a iPhone 7 on 10.1.1

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a problem with my iPhone 7 (IOS 10.1.1). When I connect it to the USB port the the phone starts to ding rapidly and the battery symbol flashes. Anybody know what could cause that? I can plug in an iPhone 5 or 6 and they connect and charge properly.
Had exactly the same problem with my Mac Book Pro, when connecting my iPhone 7 via USB for charging. Phone starts to ding rapidly and the battery symbol flashes. That turned out to be the lead, which I replaced and it's been fine every since. The lead didn't look damaged, and was a genuine Apple.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had exactly the same problem with my Mac Book Pro, when connecting my iPhone 7 via USB for charging. Phone starts to ding rapidly and the battery symbol flashes. That turned out to be the lead, which I replaced and it's been fine every since. The lead didn't look damaged, and was a genuine Apple.
Thanks for that! I changed the lead, which was genuine Apple and it solved the problem. I took the lead that wouldn't work in the Mini and plugged it into an Apple wall charger and it works fine with the iPhone 7. Crazy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I honestly don't know why people even bother with Bluetooth for audio streaming.

1) The quality is worse than using USB
2) It doesn't charge your phone while it's plugged in
3) You can't search for music using the car
4) It can drop out and play up
5) It flattens your phone battery faster

Just plug your phone in.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
i just hate wires and having to plug things in to the car ; sorry ocd-even my volume knob is always lined vertically! I'd rather forgo a bit of quality-mind i mostly listen to ripped files on usb- i only really use spotify to see if i like an album before buying the cd! Can't go back to vinyl-can't cope with the crackles and pops!

Reactions: 39434

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't understand putting up with a worse experience because you can't bare to look at a cable.

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. USB or nothing for me. (nothing being Radio 4 on DAB)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.