Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I own a 2015 Mini JCW F56, and use my iPhone 6S for music and phone calls in my mini.
However, in recent times ive experienced some issues with playing music and with bluetooth connectivity.

1. Bluetooth - the bluetooth connection between the phone and infotainment system continually drops out. I will receive calls and it will ring through my phone and not the system. I need to manually re-pair the phone to the system, and it will reconnect, but sometimes immediately disconnect.
Also, when playing music through bluetooth (which i rarely do), when you attempt to change tracks either via the steering buttons, or the basic skip buttons below the main screen, the response is very slow. It takes several secs for the system to respond to my choice and sometimes if you have selected a track several times, you can get half way through a song and it will go back to the start.

2. USB playback - when playing music via USB, the tracks that appear on the HUD are incorrect. You will select a song, but it will play a completely different song. The only way to fix this is to kill the APP on the phone.

These issues seem to have only arisen in the last few months, probably sometime after an Apple iPhone update.
I've tried all the usual troubleshooting tricks, removed device from bluetooth and repaired etc, reset phone...to no avail.
Anyone else experienced this issue?
What was the fix?
I'm planning on going to Mini to see what they say.

Thanks.

· Registered
112 Posts
Are you running both the latest software on your phone and on your Mini?

· Registered
95 Posts
I have the same issues and have taken it to service this week to have a look at it. He took a video of all issues and waiting for a reply. But Ive had this since iPhone 6 (now on a 7 too), and haven't been able to fix it so far. I ve been through IOS updates and mini firmware updates, and currently have the latest in both. If something comes up I'll let you know ;-)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same issues and have taken it to service this week to have a look at it. He took a video of all issues and waiting for a reply. But Ive had this since iPhone 6 (now on a 7 too), and haven't been able to fix it so far. I ve been through IOS updates and mini firmware updates, and currently have the latest in both. If something comes up I'll let you know ;-)
Thanks for your response.
I've had the iPhone 6 since i got the Mini around this time last year, but hadn't had any problems until around a month or two ago when apple did an update.
i've booked my car into Mini next week, wait and see i guess.

· Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Although I love Apple products, there always seems to be issues when they release new versions of IOS and apps not responding as they did. To be fair, there are so many apps these days they Apple can't test them all, but it is up to the app provider to keep their software up to date...

· Registered
95 Posts
Although I love Apple products, there always seems to be issues when they release new versions of IOS and apps not responding as they did. To be fair, there are so many apps these days they Apple can't test them all, but it is up to the app provider to keep their software up to date...
Well, the story is that at some point BMW stopped buying the apple's API, as they were in some sort of dispute and paused CarPlay project, so Apple stopped supporting BMW. Rumor has it that they got over this dispute, and BMW will support CarPlay within this year and solve all problems. The thing is will they make a firmware update that will solve problems for all mini F56/55, or just the 2017 and on?
For the record I ve had issues with bluetooth and USB connectivity, plus steering wheel buttons not responding since day 1. Regardless of the OS, firmware version and iPhone model, so its something deeper, and the dealer couldn't solve it, until yesterday.

· Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I've not had any issues with Bluetooth on any of my Minis/BMWs with any of my Apple products. I don't yet have an iPhone7, I'm still on a 6, but my new car will have the latest media centre and apparently is "CarPlay ready", whatever that means...

· Registered
1,189 Posts
From what I've heard from MINI, CarPlay won't be available until July production, so MY2018 MINIs onwards. No word on whether it would be retrofitable or not, but I guess we won't know for sure until the summer.

On BMWs, even cars with the new iDrive 5.0 headunits weren't able to have it retrofitted if it was manufactured before CarPlay was available and on the ones that were, it was a $300 upgrade charge and certain equipment on top of the navigation was required.

· Registered
4 Posts
My head up display looses the "recent call" list sometime after I shut off my car. For the first year and a half of ownership, that did not happen; it would hold a long list of recent calls in the car memory. It did not coincide with any particular iPhone 6+ update. I have had the car and the phone the same period of time and have been monitoring my iPhone updates. My 2016 JCW Cooper had a software update last week that didn't change anything. Does anyone know how to setup that "recent call" buffer in memory?
I have also connected my Samsung Galaxy to the Mini as "phone 2" however Mini clearly has a preference to the Galaxy over the iPhone because the Galaxy always takes preference. I have checked the menus over and over again to be sure the IPhone is "1" and the Samsung is "2", but always the Samsung shows up first and all the phone directory is loaded as Samsung. I even tried to set the IPhone as "2" to check if there was a bug in the MINI software, but it didn't help.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

· Registered
1,189 Posts
I have had many problems since moving to iOS 11 including the recent call list not populating all the time. Very inconsistent bugs like that. Sometimes everything works perfect, sometimes I just give up.

· Registered
235 Posts
I have a 2018 Pre-LCI Cooper Auto with Media XL, it was built last week in Feb for 1st March delivery.
I have issues with my iPhone SE not playing music either via Bluetooth or in the cradle, but if i start the music playing on my phone prior to to getting in the car everything is fine. Then it can be a few hours or a few days before I have to restart the music app on my phone.
However I do still have my Paceman and I have absolutely no issues with it what so ever.

My Cooper went to the dealers for investigation and exactly the same problems occurred with the techs iPhone 7, the issue as now been logged with MINI/BMW.

· Registered
303 Posts
I have a 2018 Pre-LCI Cooper Auto with Media XL, it was built last week in Feb for 1st March delivery.
I have issues with my iPhone SE not playing music either via Bluetooth or in the cradle, but if i start the music playing on my phone prior to to getting in the car everything is fine. Then it can be a few hours or a few days before I have to restart the music app on my phone.
However I do still have my Paceman and I have absolutely no issues with it what so ever.

My Cooper went to the dealers for investigation and exactly the same problems occurred with the techs iPhone 7, the issue as now been logged with MINI/BMW.
Dave, see my post LCI models & iPod connectivity... you have the same issue I did with my iPod Classic and BMW are blaming Apple for updating their application protocol from iAP1 to iAP2.

However, Apple say that it is backwards compatible if it's implemented correctly, so it seems that BMW has decided not to support older devices - particularly those which use the 30-pin connector.

I think BMW will have to issue a software/firmware update... and perhaps this will come with the Alexa voice control update (for LCI cars).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.