Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Curious as to the steering wheel control function for Ipods.

Do I need to buy the mini interface cable, or would I be able to get by with just a regular Ipod cable?

I have the stock radio head unit in my car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On my base head unit, the iPhone is controlled by the steering wheel controls while connected with just an Apple lightning cable. Not sure about previous iPods. I can try it with an old iPod Classic later if that would be helpful.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my base head unit, the iPhone is controlled by the steering wheel controls while connected with just an Apple lightning cable. Not sure about previous iPods. I can try it with an old iPod Classic later if that would be helpful.
No that's fine. I was just making sure I didn't have to shell out more money for a specialized cable. Good to know for me :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
There's a harddrive in the F56's (atleast the canadian ones) where you can use a USB to upload a ton of music (so far I have 408 songs) in the mini's on-board harddrive. No need for any cables or iphone connections.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Think I'm over 1000 and still loads of space! It's brilliant .

·
Registered
64 Posts
There's a harddrive in the F56's (atleast the canadian ones) where you can use a USB to upload a ton of music (so far I have 408 songs) in the mini's on-board harddrive. No need for any cables or iphone connections.
Think I'm over 1000 and still loads of space! It's brilliant .
Do you two have the upgraded head unit? We just have the base unit and I don't think it has built in storage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you two have the upgraded head unit? We just have the base unit and I don't think it has built in storage.
I don't have the HUD unit, I do have the nav though.. try sticking in a USB stick with songs on it and then accessing.. see if it plays.. and if it does you can then choose the "import" option.

The packages I got was:

Essentials Package, Loaded Package, Wired Nav Package, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't have the HUD unit, I do have the nav though.. try sticking in a USB stick with songs on it and then accessing.. see if it plays.. and if it does you can then choose the "import" option.

The packages I got were:

Essentials Package, Loaded Package, Wired Nav Package, Harmon Kardon Sound System.
I'm not referring to the Head-Up Display.

This is the base head unit:

No import ability on this guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey all,

Curious as to the steering wheel control function for Ipods.

Do I need to buy the mini interface cable, or would I be able to get by with just a regular Ipod cable?

I have the stock radio head unit in my car.
It's not as simple as it might be, Polarisboy: it's software dependent based on which iPod

here's a link to a compatibility table on the mini site...you can put your VIN number in for an exact match, or just use the model details.
http://www.mini.com/connectivity/com...ity/index.html

I don't think that iPod classics are supported, fatherfork

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not as simple as it might be, Polarisboy: it's software dependent based on which iPod

here's a link to a compatibility table on the mini site...you can put your VIN number in for an exact match, or just use the model details.
http://www.mini.com/connectivity/com...ity/index.html

I don't think that iPod classics are supported, fatherfork
That link didn't work. I'm just going to assume that my Iphone 4 will work with my Mini, and I'll see what happens in December when I pick her up.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
That link didn't work. I'm just going to assume that my Iphone 4 will work with my Mini, and I'll see what happens in December when I pick her up.
polarisboy385,

I have the original, 2010 iPhone 4. The problem I have is its older Bluetooth tech. Every few minutes, when I think the phone is checking on stuff, it will stutter during playback. The phone works fine with USB, though.

However, now I just keep my iPad Retina (forget which number it is) in my bag and music resumes flawlessly every time I hop in the car.

JP

·
Registered
177 Posts
sorry: for some reason the url was truncated when I cut and pasted it...

it should be
http://www.mini.com/connectivity/compatibility/index.html

But I am reasonably sure that the iPod classic won't work, so your best bet will be the iPhone4 (albeit with the older bluetooth which can have connectivity issues)

·
Registered
64 Posts
But I am reasonably sure that the iPod classic won't work, so your best bet will be the iPhone4 (albeit with the older bluetooth which can have connectivity issues)
Just for clarity, the OP never mentioned an iPod Classic. That was me. I just offered to test it if it would be helpful and he said it wouldn't. The only thing he mentioned was "iPod" and "iPhone 4". I think he's only using an iPhone 4 (and he only mentioned playing music through USB, never Bluetooth) so there shouldn't be any issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts