Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Cooper S for 7 months now and was wondering what people thought about the build quality. Mine is full of rattles from the glovebox, dash and the windows. Given I drive a large amount of rental cars from so called inferior brands I must admit they don't rattle anywhere near as much, our BMW which is 18 months old is rock solid with not a rattle or squeak anywhere.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I call it "Mood Rattles" there are days when the overhead interior plastic cover rattles and there are days when all is quiet in the cab. No Rattles otherwise. Maybe the S rattles more than the 3 Banger because of the extra Cylinder.:D

I am happy with the built quality compared with my last car a Fiat Abarth.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Hmmm build quality / .how do You define that. Audi seem to get best interior build quality in any car mag but they rate very poorly for faults. Our dacia duster is like a Tonka toy but nothing has gone wrong or fallen off but mini plastics are far superior.hey I have two bits of trim I've stuck back. Nevertheless overall refinement and quality I feel are hard to beat.it's a very subjective issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well my S has about 12k miles on it and over rougher pavement it squeaks and rattles plenty. I think it's got to do with the BMW stuff or at least the smaller series as my previous 335is did the same thing almost a month after leaving the showroom, specially coming from the pillars and or doors. I've learned to ignore it and just enjoy the other fun stuff about the car. On the other hand my wife's '16 GTI is the quietest car I've driven in my life and I've driven quite a few.

Just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My Cooper is actually quieter now, as far squeaks and rattles are concerned, after 16 months than when first bought.
It wasn't bad to start with really, the worst was the door windows rubbing on the seals, but they no longer make a noise so no issue there.

I have had a number of courtesy cars over the months while the Mini has been having the odd recall thing done, and none have been as well put together, as nice to drive or as comfy and as well equipped as the Cooper, so I am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi,
After having a lot of cars during my driving life (wife constantly reminds me) I have always found cars with frameless windows to be noisier and more prone to rattling.
I have owned BMW's and Mercedes and they too were noisier than let's say non premium brands.
Cabriolets are another good example of these issues and apply to whatever brand you are buying.

I wonder if the 5 door MINI with its solid framed doors is quieter?
Perhaps some 5 door owners could provide feedback?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Our 5 door is as quiet as a church mouse, it's virtually silent. But the seals will creak if they get contaminated, so they need cleaning every once in a while to keep it that way. I have had the pleasure of driving a lesser brand rental last week, and the Mini fit and finish is much higher.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have an annoyqing squeeking noise in the driver's seat and on crappy road or when taking a speed bump I hear the windows rubbing against the rubbers. Can't remember my old MINI doing that though it also had frameless windows...but I understand from Johnan that this may disappears in time?? I hope so because it's really annoying and it unfortunately makes the car feel a bit cheap. I already sprayed some silicones on the rubbers but that doesn't do you clean windows any good. Perhaps a brace strut would increase the chassis torsional stiffness? My old MINI had one and it seemed to make the car feel a lot stiffer.

Furthermore I'm pretty pleased with the build quality: plastics feel high end, buttons and switches feel solid and maybe a strange one but the clicking sound when the indicator is on doesn't sound cheap, actually it sounds more 'premium' than in my BMW...one of the first things I noticed when leaving the dealership with the MINI :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
If your window glass is just rubbing and not knocking or rattling, it may just be out of alignment. Ive had mine realigned and it silences the noise; there are 3 adjustments that have to be mm accurate. Unfortunately mine then just drift out of alignment again within a few miles, despite having all of the parts replaced. It will not go away. Ask them to adjust the glass.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got a 5 door Cooper S, picked up in January this year, which is pretty quiet. Many of the roads here in Houston are, shall we say, not in the best of repair. Many are terribly bumpy, and potholes are everywhere. There are no rattles or squeaks from my Mini even on the rough streets.

The only odd noise I've experienced is an odd, intermittent creaking when turning the wheel. It is more prone to happen if the car has been driving & parked for a while, such as when I've been to the grocery store. I'm going to have the dealer look at it when I bring it in for its first oil change in the near future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
After having a lot of cars during my driving life (wife constantly reminds me) I have always found cars with frameless windows to be noisier and more prone to rattling.
I have owned BMW's and Mercedes and they too were noisier than let's say non premium brands.
Cabriolets are another good example of these issues and apply to whatever brand you are buying.

I wonder if the 5 door MINI with its solid framed doors is quieter?
Perhaps some 5 door owners could provide feedback?
W

·
Registered
2 Posts
Meant to say above that the 5 door is no different in the squeaks and rattles department, it actually sounds pretty clunky too when shutting the doors. Mine is a 2015 S and I’ve noticed the newer models and JCW versions don’t make nearly as much noise if any at all so it seems post 2015 BMW has worked out those issues

·
Registered
385 Posts
Having only owned my Mini for six months, I would agree with most of the comments here. The quality of the third generation Mini seems a step up from generation two. I do have the occasional glove box rattle but I have yet to empty it to make sure it isn't my clutter.

I do wonder if some of the problems people have are down to selecting low profile tyres? I deliberately went for the smallest wheels (15”) for this reason. Once I got used to the car I decided it needed slightly wider tyres as the 175 width didn’t feel that planted. I opted for some 16” wheels with 195 width tyres and they don’t seem to have affected the ride unduly but have made the car feel more focused. Having tested a car with 17” wheels it definitely felt harsher than the smaller wheels so 16” seems to be a good compromise with respect to handling and comfort. I can’t imagine how crashy a Mini with 18” wheels would feel.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Having only owned my Mini for six months, I would agree with most of the comments here. The quality of the third generation Mini seems a step up from generation two. I do have the occasional glove box rattle but I have yet to empty it to make sure it isn't my clutter.

I do wonder if some of the problems people have are down to selecting low profile tyres? I deliberately went for the smallest wheels (15”) for this reason. Once I got used to the car I decided it needed slightly wider tyres as the 175 width didn’t feel that planted. I opted for some 16” wheels with 195 width tyres and they don’t seem to have affected the ride unduly but have made the car feel more focused. Having tested a car with 17” wheels it definitely felt harsher than the smaller wheels so 16” seems to be a good compromise with respect to handling and comfort. I can’t imagine how crashy a Mini with 18” wheels would feel.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Agree with most, if not all of the comments regarding build quality. I have the 18” RF tyres and these tyres have minimal vibration absorbing qualities compared to the non RF tyres with slightly taller sidewall profile. The roads in the UK and not the best which will add to the harshness of the ride. It’s the price you pay for better handling. The mini is very will screwed together. some plastics are questionable but most are very premium. The inner door handles which are plastic welded, stretch Over time and will creak when shutting the door. At the end of the day, modern cars are designed and built in a way To be assembled very quickly on the production line and that includes trim fastened with clips. Plastic like
Most materials depending on temperatures will stretch and contract adding to the issues such as rattles and creaks.
I have been in premium cars three times the price of my Mini and I am
Happy to report,they also suffer from
The occasional annoying rattle or creak!

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
I had an unbearably loud rattle from inside the dash yesterday. It would happen under acceleration and disappear when lifting off. Lasted maybe 45 seconds and then it was gone. I had the same thing happen probably a year ago.

I have no idea what it is but hopefully it stays away as I don’t fancy the idea of removing the dash to find it. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.