Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like BMW are planning to move some Mini production to Germany. The question is what makes a Mini a Mini, is it just the shape, where it is made? I guess you could argue the Countryman does not follow much of the exterior design language of the original Mini but is the factory where it is made part of its "Mini-ness"?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Two of my last three MINI's weren't built in Oxford.

I had an R60 Countryman that was built in Austria.
Then an F56 JCW that was built in the Netherlands.
Current F56 JCW was built in Oxford :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Having made such a big deal about the heritage behind the Mini brand, they will have to wiggle like a Politician to explain stopping production in Oxford. Being made in the UK was a factor in me buying one, I like to think a significant purchase made by me in the UK provides work for UK citizens.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always find the where is it made discussion interesting. Let's face it Nissan put things together in Sunderland and Honda in Swindon (until 2021), does this make them not Japanese cars? Since being taken over by PSA Vauxhall have been pushing there British brand credentials even more with marketing phrases like "New Rules: Britannia" and "British Brand since" even though they have never been less British.

With so many shared parts across manufacturers products I guess the brand perceptions count for a lot more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same thing applies to the new JLR Defender being made in Slovakia (Slovenia?). Also, apparently the Asian market isn't so keen on buying their Land Rovers that are built in China, they want the Lode Lane, Solihull ones?

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
All Triumph motorbikes now made in Thailand apparently the list goes on sadly. Yes it'll be a mini but not sure how I feel. Sad.

·
Registered
481 Posts
1) R60 Cooper SD 05/2011 ---> Graz (A) (Magna Steyr)
2) R56 Cooper S 09/2007 ---> Oxford (GB)
3) F56 JCW 01/2017 ---> Oxford (GB)
4) F60 JCW 07/2017 ---> Born (NL) (VDL Nedcar)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts