Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working on my order for an f55s, and I'm trying to justify the extra cost for Visual Boost XL. I can honestly say I have a terrible sense of direction and drive out of town for work pretty often, so I can see the navigation as being helpful, but I wonder how quickly the maps become outdated. At the moment I use the Waze app, but I find that looking down at my phone screen can be pretty distracting. Should I just find a way to mount my iPhone 6 +, and save the extra money?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't use Nav all that much so just went with Visual Boost.

If I need Nav I just use Google Maps on my Android which is mounted on the below holder.

There's a thread here with some phone mount solutions

http://www.minif56.com/forum/289-mini-f56-general-discussion/7106-iphone-holder.html

Seeing that I use my phone for speed camera detection app I wanted it to be mounted in good view so I guess the full on Nav system would be a waste of £ for me personally as I already have this solution (which I can use for other apps too inc. ODB2 connected apps).

I guess it all depends on you really if you think it's worth the extra but you do get a bigger screen and the touch pad if that interests you

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't use Nav all that much so just went with Visual Boost.

If I need Nav I just use Google Maps on my Android which is mounted on the below holder.

I guess it all depends on you really if you think it's worth the extra but you do get a bigger screen and the touch pad if that interests you
Same here. I had Nav in my last car and found it less reliable than Google and the yearly updates are expensive. When I built my MCS I spec'd Visual Boost+ Connected and enhanced bluetooth and when I have needed Nav Google Maps on my iPhone sends me directions over bluetooth and I don't have to pay for updates.

Reactions: Shuttergal

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I have it its wonderful with the head up display but t h ere are no speed camera warnings or sped limits.likewise updates are expensive but if you're in the UK they don't build many roads!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[/quote]Seeing that I use my phone for speed camera detection app I wanted it to be mounted in good view so I guess the full on Nav system would be a waste of £ for me personally as I already have this solution (which I can use for other apps too inc. ODB2 connected apps).

I guess it all depends on you really if you think it's worth the extra but you do get a bigger screen and the touch pad if that interests you[/quote]

Yes, I saw this thread earlier and was eyeing your set up. That would be perfect. I have an iPhone 6 plus. Do you think I can find a mount big enough?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have it its wonderful with the head up display but t h ere are no speed camera warnings or sped limits.likewise updates are expensive but if you're in the UK they don't build many roads!
Yes, the red light camera warnings on Waze have bailed me out a more than a few times. And the warnings about things being in the road is really helpful, too. I would LOVE if you could get turn by turn on the HUD from the Waze app. Then my decision would be easy!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Sat navigation is also better with the auto Box as just like rolls Royce (same soffware efc)it informs the gearbox of bends etc so it changes down in anticipation.(so I am told. Not got an auto)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I feel so fortunate that in my 2015 JCW I could opt out of visual boost & XL, Nav, etc! Just have the radio with HK & couldn't be happier! I use my iPhone 6 for all my communication needs & I don't worry about software updates in the car! If I was stuck with anything I'd go with the visual boost but not XL Nav....unless you travel alot as a family I suppose that may be fine. But remember all that "stuff" adds to the cost of the car! Phones & tablets are cheap in comparison!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel so fortunate that in my 2015 JCW I could opt out of visual boost & XL, Nav, etc! Just have the radio with HK & couldn't be happier! I use my iPhone 6 for all my communication needs & I don't worry about software updates in the car! If I was stuck with anything I'd go with the visual boost but not XL Nav....unless you travel alot as a family I suppose that may be fine. But remember all that "stuff" adds to the cost of the car! Phones & tablets are cheap in comparison!
The way they have it now, Connected + Visual Boost is standard, and then Visual Boost XL includes navigation. You are definitely right, all these options really add to the cost, and technology becomes dated fast. It may be silly to sink that extra money into something that will be obsolete in a few years (or may simply stop working), especially on a car I plan to keep until the wheels fall off. I still wish the HUD could give me turn by turn from the Waze app, but that is such a pipe dream!

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have it...works great. Would buy it again. HUD is great too
Very well integrated

·
Registered
763 Posts
There is a universal holder available for the Click and Drive that will hold a 6+. I don't have a part number but I have seen pictures of it. The dealer may be able to assist you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a universal holder available for the Click and Drive that will hold a 6+. I don't have a part number but I have seen pictures of it. The dealer may be able to assist you.
Good to know, thanks! I will ask the dealer the next time I call them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Got the VB XL in my JCW and wouldn't be without it. Use it all the time and find it easy and intuitive and very accurate. Much easier than fiddling with phone and having a messy phone mount spoiling your dash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the VB XL in my JCW and wouldn't be without it. Use it all the time and find it easy and intuitive and very accurate. Much easier than fiddling with phone and having a messy phone mount spoiling your dash.
I am glad to hear it is accurate! That has been the biggest complaint I've heard about the system in other vehicles is that the phones were more accurate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts