Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cooper D. Ive had it since Oct 2014. Ive had fault after fault after fault. Ive started the process of trying to reject the car. However, I really want a mini but without the month after month hassle.

Ive just been to test drive the Cooper petrol, and I could tell it was more nimble than my D. However, It seemed to lack guts. It was a 5 door, and there were 3 people in the car; I have 3 door and mostly drive with at most 1 other person.

I dont know if Mini will help me get a new car. If it does, its a risk because I may get the same problems again.

Anyone had a very bad time with a Cooper?

Do you find it a bit tame, or is it a driving style I need to get used to again having been diesel powered?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Every model of every manufacturer can have problems and unfortunately it's usually the problem car complaints that find their way onto various websites. Thousands of us are enjoying thousands of problem free miles in our Minis.

I hope that Mini resolves the issue with your car or gets you a replacement. Most of the horror stories I've read about the new hardtops were the early models and those that are being produced now have non of those issues.

If you want real guts, spring for the S model. It will cost you some more gas, but you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face when you press the go pedal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I really would like an almost direct replacement for mine. I dont want the sports suspension or leather seats; I imagine the S comes with these things. I thought Id feel the >1s acceleration advantage of the cooper, but maybe its just because its quite smooth.

As for new cars having issues, I can imagine that. However, many of them dont. Ive had new exhaust, shocks, electric folding mirror. Now there is a problem with the door/window. There have been other problems, but these in particular are odd. After all, every car has doors/windows, exhaust, shocks etc. Its not like these parts are special to Minis. One of the major problems has been parts availability. I was driving around with the exhaust problem for about 6 months, the shocks for about 3 months. The tech raised a puma case today, and its been in for the last two days. No idea when it will get fixed, or when the next problem will rear its head.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The problems you described definitely are not the norm for this brand. Sounds like you got a lemon and the company will have to make good on it.

Check out the Mini configurator. The S model does not come more loaded with things like leather seats than the regular model although they can be added as desired.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was driving around with the exhaust problem for about 6 months
What was really the exhaust problem ?
I'm asking because i had some annoying noises from it, some over heating (at least i thought so), but i was never able to show these things to the dealer, it only happened once in a while.
Now, i had the flywheel replaced (their initiative) and it seems solved (too soon to tell, but i had no more issues since then).

·
Registered
890 Posts
Re the question about the petrol Cooper being any good:

As far as problems, in 8000 miles, 1 changed shock absorber, and a recall for the spare wheel retainer.
Otherwise no visits to dealers required and I could have lived with the very slight clonk from the shock absorber.

The diesel has stronger torque from low speed so a diesel Cooper will seem to have more initial "guts" on acceleration than a petrol Cooper.
I find the power and acceleration of the petrol Cooper is more than adequate, as is the well balanced handling and economy. The lighter engine helps with sharper handling.

I hope you get what you want from your dealer. Hassle is not what you need when buying an expensive new car.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Totally agree with jonan. As usual! The voice of reason. I have a Sept Cooper 5 k miles in and only the door handle lock cover and paint rub to report. Power and acceleration to economy the best car I've ever had.£20 rd tax 130 ins and 46 mpg always.

I've had a Cooper s 184 bhp. We have a Roadster s .my last but one car was a golf r32 and before that an mr2 but rarely find it lacking. Just occasionally it delivers all its power low down in the rev range and I run out of oomph. V rare though.When I do that engine noise just makes up for it all. Wonderful car.

In fact the mk 2 Toyota mr2 was sold as a sports car but the f56 cooper is as quick and handles far better! Try one properly it's an amazing car.

Reactions: johnan

·
Registered
844 Posts
My Cooper has 14k on it. Apart from the stupid spare wheel bolt recall and the paint rub it has been fantastic.

There is no way the cooper lacks guts once run in. Far quicker than the cooper D :laugh:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was really the exhaust problem ?
I'm asking because i had some annoying noises from it, some over heating (at least i thought so), but i was never able to show these things to the dealer, it only happened once in a while.
Now, i had the flywheel replaced (their initiative) and it seems solved (too soon to tell, but i had no more issues since then).
The problem is actually with the diesel regeneration cycle, but the fix is the exhaust; sounds like you're driving through gravel, or dragging a tree.

I did have an update on the flywheel, but that was to avoid future problems. I don't notice any difference, except maybe a jump from about 60mpg to 67mpg; although that could be the warmer weather, or that the car is run in now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Cooper has 14k on it. Apart from the stupid spare wheel bolt recall and the paint rub it has been fantastic.

There is no way the cooper lacks guts once run in. Far quicker than the cooper D :laugh:
It certainly was quicker. It was also much lighter. However, it just didn't pull so hard

·
Registered
844 Posts
It certainly was quicker. It was also much lighter. However, it just didn't pull so hard
Bigger torque from the diesel in action there. However, the f56 Cooper has a good amount of pull throughout the Rev range due to the turbo. It also has a much wider spread than a diesel.

For me, a petrol makes for a more fun drive. Still pretty good on fuel, I am averaging 48mpg (UK) despite much of this being on busy motorways.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is a common problem with diesels from all manufacturers unless you frequently drive at motorway speeds for long enough for the filter to regenerate by burning the particulates it has collected from the exhaust gases. Petrol engines are best for people who do frequent short journeys and seldom go for a long drive.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Sadly we do not get the Diesel here would love to Test Drive one. My Mini now got over 3500 Miles on the Clock and it is just a Blast to drive. Just got back from a little Road Trip (700 Miles) and honestly I have no Complains fun too drive in the Hills on the Flats it ticked away the Miles like a Swiss Clock and I still got close to 40 MPG to be correct 38.94 MPG.:)

For a Budget Banger all I can say is I love my Mini.:nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is a common problem with diesels from all manufacturers unless you frequently drive at motorway speeds for long enough for the filter to regenerate by burning the particulates it has collected from the exhaust gases. Petrol engines are best for people who do frequent short journeys and seldom go for a long drive.

That's true, but not in my case, i make dozens of kms on motorways everyday.
Anyway,i only got a diesel because i'm waiting for the f54 and when exchanging i'll get a much better deal with it than with petrol. Its sad, but people here prefer diesel.

Note that i found the b37 engine great, but the sound of the cooper...

And the problem seems to be somewhere along the exhaust, triggered by the DPF.

all I can say is I love my Mini.:nerd::nerd:
So true! I never felt any connection like this with a car (except for my Defenders). It will be hard to swap , even for the f54.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Agreed; best car i've EVER had so far (9mnth 5k miles in) Still look for excuses to drive it and still torn between switching the amazing harmon kardon off so i can hear that AMAZING triple growl away, or banging out the ACDC on the amazing sounding stereo. Just love love love it, so in short is the Cooper any good.

YES YES YES-but dont take my word for it read the press-autoexpress car of the year and it's the cooper they recommend as the best day to day compromise of economy running costs and performance.
Sorry s and jcw owners!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I never felt any connection like this with a car (except for my Defenders). It will be hard to swap , even for the f54.
I know what you mean though I had a Series IIa. :)

I agree with the other posts.

I like cars with character and the Cooper's triple has bucket loads of it. I haven't driven an S or the diesel so I can't compare them but I really love the Cooper. It always puts a smile on my face yet costs peanuts to run. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the case of the mini diesel, the problem is not the filter it's the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts