Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nope, its single turbo however is twin scroll. "Twinpower" is a bit confusing.
I'm not sure BMW even knows what "twinpower" means. :x

They advertise it as such on the 3-cyl Cooper, which is a single-scroll single turbo. Maybe "twinpower" is "turbo plus something else like Valvetronic"? The 4-cyl petrol MINI's are twin-scroll single turbo.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If I remember right they use the Twinpower Turbo term to describe the fact that the engines are Turbocharged and direct Injection...........IMO a totally misleading and meaningless description probably dreamt up by marketing dept.

Remember the good old days when cars had Twincam and 16 Valve splashed all over:laugh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I remember right they use the Twinpower Turbo term to describe the fact that the engines are Turbocharged and direct Injection...........IMO a totally misleading and meaningless description probably dreamt up by marketing dept.

Remember the good old days when cars had Twincam and 16 Valve splashed all over:laugh:
This is correct, Twin power is officially turbo and HPDI according to MINI UK

Learnt this from a training course today. Shocking how many people in dealerships have been saying twin power is twin turbo.

·
Registered
508 Posts
They advertise it as such on the 3-cyl Cooper, which is a single-scroll single turbo.
Though BMW claim the same engine (same power) in the 2 series Active Tourer is twin-scroll. But then maybe the marketing department don't know either.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Twin turbo is the 225d engine
Same lump as ours but twice the turbos

Reactions: sduk

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
The "Twinpower" turbo is quite straight forward.

Generally in a twin turbo you would have both a low pressure and high pressure turbo. High pressure turbos give you the push you're looking for, but but they result in "turbo lag" (you hit the pedal and it takes a second or two to spin up and start shoving the air through. A low pressure turbo provides a fill in for the lag, so you hit the gas, the low pressure turbo kicks in, starts ramping the fuel/air mixture into the chamber, then the high pressure turbo catches up and takes over - no (or little) turbo lag.

The twin scroll turbo design starts off as a low pressure turbo, then the fans rotate to basically become a high pressure turbo. So, you get both turbos but in one housing.

At least that's my understanding of how it works.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Jester I think you missed the part that "twinpower" is marketing speak, and the MINI's only have 1 turbo. 0:) What you described was kind of like what the Mk4 Supra and FD Rx-7 had with their sequential turbo setups, which were a catastrophe. In retrospect, they were far over-complicated. Modern sequential turbo setups like M-B's twin-turbo Diesel are much simpler and more efficient to boot.

Back in the MINI, on the even-number-cylinder engines, they have twin-scroll turbos. This means two exhaust gas paths cast into the one turbine housing. Cylinders 1 and 4 feed one scroll, and cylinders 2 and 3 feed the other scroll. This keeps conflicting pulse timings separate and dramatically improves the efficiency of the turbine.

Twin-scroll turbine's have been around for decades, but only recently have the OEM's started adopting them into small turbo frames.

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Well you learn something new every day. I was told (and I'm desperately trying to remember who by) that the the actual fins on the turbo moved to act as both a low and high pressure turbo.

Thanks for the information. I know that some VAG engines now have both a Supercharger & Turbo (FS engines?). That seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Oops sorry for misspelling your screen-name in the last post.

The turbo you're describing is indeed a thing. Variable Nozzle Turbines [aka VNT] or Variable Geometry Turbines [VGT] are de-facto on Diesel turbo's; it's how they regulate boost pressure. Porsche also uses them on their 911 Turbo [gasoline] to effectively vary the A/R, but they're the only OEM put them in a production gasoline engine to date, as far as I'm aware.

Yup, VAG did a Twincharged engine a big ago. At the time the idea was they could get the instant low-end torque of a supercharger and the top-end pull of a turbo. It was a decent idea at the time, but perhaps ironically I did a twincharged setup [a couple companies gave it a shot at the time] on an R53 MINI Cooper S before VAG released their production engine! This was before small twin-scroll's were common on turbo GDI engines where you could get fantastically low boost thresholds like the B-family engines in the current MINI's and a broad torque plateau.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts