Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Got a quote from my local dealer for the F54 tuning kit and carbon fiber tips for $3200 out the door including labor. The chrome tips are a good $400 less than the carbon fiber tips, and the labor I was quoted was 5 hours at $130 per hour. Seems kind of high, but I'm thinking I can can work it down to around $2600 if I opt for the chrome tips and get them to lower the hourly rate.

Is the exhaust and tune worth the high cost? Would love to get some opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Expensive hp.

The same $ could also buy:
Uprated intercooler
Full exhaust
Remap on dyno
True. I know the power gains are pretty minimal for the cost, but I'd like to keep my factory warranty intact. Anyone out here have experience with the JCW Tuning Kit for the Clubman? Specifically in terms of installation cost?

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
53 Posts
I have the kit. I installed it with the dealer, not cheap, it was $675 Canadian without tax. I went with it because it’s reliable, well balanced and arguably adds value where most tuning parts will detract. Certainly not the best value if you’re looking for significanf gains. I went with the chrome tips figuring the cost difference was not worth the cf, and I run it in winter so some nice chunks will crack it eventually. It’s got some more usable low end torque that you can feel over the standard S. Pedal feels less heavy and power band more linear. Even more so after I put on the dinan intake. The exhaust isn’t super loud with the flaps closed, and has a nice growl in sport, not so much in standard which would be nice since the roads are crap where I live and I ride on 19’s so it’s nice to have a little extra cushion at times with the kids sleeping in back. With the flaps open, the pops are nice and loud, especially driving the automatic in manual where you can downshift. I love the braaap when up shifting in second and third.

This was an interesting comparison from a dyno run of a stock JCW and S with a tuning kit.

Dyno Comparison: 2016 F56 Factory JCW and 2016 F56 S JCW Tuning Kit | MotoringFun.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all,

Got a quote from my local dealer for the F54 tuning kit and carbon fiber tips for $3200 out the door including labor. The chrome tips are a good $400 less than the carbon fiber tips, and the labor I was quoted was 5 hours at $130 per hour. Seems kind of high, but I'm thinking I can can work it down to around $2600 if I opt for the chrome tips and get them to lower the hourly rate.

Is the exhaust and tune worth the high cost? Would love to get some opinions.

Thanks!
To double check, was this tuning kit for the Mini Clubman F54? I have a Mini Copper S Clubman F54 (2020) and was told by my local BMW/Mini dealership in the UK that the tuning kit was only available for the older models and not the Clubman that I have. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
53 Posts
Yes that’s true. I have a 2017 with the tuning kit on it and it is not compatible with the 2020. I can’t say why. Maybe they really don’t want you guys to have any burble!

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
53 Posts
You should wait it out a bit. The tune was a nice perk. The Remus exhaust is amazing but very costly. My understanding is that an exhaust will not impact warranty at all, one of the few mods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should wait it out a bit. The tune was a nice perk. The Remus exhaust is amazing but very costly. My understanding is that an exhaust will not impact warranty at all, one of the few mods.
I knew that the Mini Turning kit didn't impact the warranty, but I will have to check about the Remus, and yes its expensive. I've also sent Mini an email to see if they plan to bring anything out for the 2020 model.

Did you have the intake, exhaust and tune, or just the exhaust fitted?

·
Registered
F54 Clubman S All 4
53 Posts
I have the exhaust and tune. There is no oem intake upgrade. I have a Dinan intake, which is just a noisemaker. A panel filter would probably give you half the sound benefit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exhaust and tune. There is no oem intake upgrade. I have a Dinan intake, which is just a noisemaker. A panel filter would probably give you half the sound benefit.
I love the Mini, just wished it made a bit more noise. Before the Mini (which I've only had for a month) I was driving around in a Jaguar F-Type S which sounded fab. The Jag was getting too expensive to run (had it for 4 years), but boy do I miss the sound it made. I will be a happy man if I can find something that won't break the bank to make the Mini sound a bit like the Jag.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I love the Mini, just wished it made a bit more noise. Before the Mini (which I've only had for a month) I was driving around in a Jaguar F-Type S which sounded fab. The Jag was getting too expensive to run (had it for 4 years), but boy do I miss the sound it made. I will be a happy man if I can find something that won't break the bank to make the Mini sound a bit like the Jag.
You can fit the Pro exhaust, the original system just needs to be cut so you keep the GPF. A little work with a tube cutter and an additional sleeve clamp is all that's needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh I completely understand how you feel, prior to my 2019 mini Cooper S I had a 2012 jaguar XF supercharged 5.0 and boy do I miss that V-8 sound, Of course that type S is a 3.0 no but one of the best sounding cars out there for sure short of a Maserati, however I installed K&N typhoon intake, and a Dinan sportTronic module and it sounds pretty good,I didn’t do an exhaust because my lease is up soon. The JCW exhaust sounds excellent for a four-cylinder with all those pops and bangs, especially if you get the Bluetooth actuator. Perhaps shop around and see if you can get a better price, and or buy the JCW tuning kit elsewhere and have them install it👌

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can fit the Pro exhaust, the original system just needs to be cut so you keep the GPF. A little work with a tube cutter and an additional sleeve clamp is all that's needed.

Thanks, but I really wanted to fit something to keep the Mini in warranty. I might hold off for a few months to see if BMW/Mini brings anything out for the later models.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks, but I really wanted to fit something to keep the Mini in warranty. I might hold off for a few months to see if BMW/Mini brings anything out for the later models.
Changing the exhaust will only affect the warranty on the exhaust, probably should have mentioned that earlier!
Most dealerships seem to be quite tolerant of mods, it is a Mini after all and they're designed to be modified.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes that’s true. I have a 2017 with the tuning kit on it and it is not compatible with the 2020. I can’t say why. Maybe they really don’t want you guys to have any burble!
My understanding is that the change has to do with the particulate filter included late model new MINIs.

Also - update: I did spring for the tuning kit last March, the price of the tuning kit was substantially reduced. No regrets, it sounds and looks great. Just wish they made a holder for the remote that didn't require a cup holder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts