Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
when i connect my I-Pod Classic 160 GB with abbout 19000 songs on it with my Mini via the I
USB the i-Pod crashes and dies and cannot be restartet. So after sending 2 i-Pods back to apple i thought I might try it with a usb sticks. That seams to read only the first 12613 songs, the same number my i-Pod Classic displayes before crashing.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of songs the Mini can handle?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have 21,400 tracks on a 128GB memory stick. It works, with caveats:

The initial 'crawl' of the stick is slow - maybe 20 minutes to read the track, artist & album data. Once complete, the Mini will take 30 seconds to a minute to re-check the contents when you start off each time.

Selecting an album or track is a little long winded - the Mini will pause between selections as it does a bit of internal 'processing'.#

You need to wait for the screen to catch up before you move to the next selection, or press 'Play Selection'. If you don't wait, it will play in alphabetic order, rather than album track order.

The tracks MUST have their MP3 tags very well formatted. No dodgy character sets.

I have all the tracks arranged in Artist, Album layout. Therefore, I can easily pick an album, and have it play through. I cannot vouch for playing individual tracks or playlists.

Cheers - Ankle

·
Registered
72 Posts
That MaskedAnkle guy is a genius !
How did he manage to transfer so much from ITunes ?
Mine "Error Messaged" after 8GB worth
Certainly a struggle unless ………….

·
Registered
177 Posts
40,000 I believe. Somewhere in the manual...
I think the 40'000 track info related to the number of tracks that could be stored on the 20Gb internal hard drive, called Music Collection, rather than the size of any external USB stick. This comes with Media XL (I think).
Any quoted storage figure will also depend on the bit rate of the individual sings i.e. 128 or 256Mbps. The higher the bit rate, the better the quality, but each track then takes more space, so you would get far less than the 40'000 estimate at a higher bit rate. Different systems use different bit rates.
Response is also reduced if you do have the internal Music Collection drive, because it automatically downloads all tracks from the stick on to the hard drive when you connect it.
The onboard hard drive does not support playlists: after a lot of emails back and forth I have had this confirmed by both MiniUK and Harmon Kardon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts