Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Newbie here. Somewhat of a lurker.

Thanks to all the great people and information here, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on ordering my first Mini!

I'm in the process of crunching the numbers now and it seems like it's a fair deal. Hoping to get other people's feedback though. I'm in Canada, so Canadian prices below.

Basically, here's what I'm looking at getting:
  • 2016 BRG Cooper, manual transmission
  • Essentials Package ($1300)
  • Connected Package ($800)
  • Anthracite Roofliner ($250)
  • Storage Compartment Package ($250)
  • 16inch Victory Spoke Black wheels ($200)
  • White Turn Signals ($100)

After admin fees and what not it comes out to $25600.

However, there's a promotion going on right now where I can get $300 off my month payments for the first 3 months. The dealer has offered to just knock $900 off the total price for me right off the bat. So that brings it down to $24700.

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Firstly hello & welcome :)

I can't help much with prices in Canada I'm afraid and some of the kits are different to other countries.

My only advise would be to shop around and play one dealer off against another, maybe easier in the UK as I have several not to far away but if you get a great deal it's worth travelling further afield to save money :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Again I'm in UK so can't directly help with Canadian dollars, however UK dealers have room to offer 7% off main car order price and then throw in extras like free TLC servicing, accessories etc. This is obviously dependant on each dealer and some will even be in a position to offer more discounts if they've shifted multiple cars and time of financial year etc.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I paid $ 23 400 here in Arizona for my Mini. So not a bad deal IMHO. I would add the Sports Package if I would have to do it over again. Either way you will enjoy the car and btw Welcome to the forum.:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome!

Same goed for me, it's difficult to say something about the price. Different countries = different prices and different packages. I shopped around for my car but in the end all dealers offered me more or less the same discounts and extra's for a new configuration. One option I can really recommend are the LED headlights.

Good luck making a decision and I'm looking forward to see some pictures once you collect the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought one today. Managed to get the first three payments $400 dollars free (which they usually only give for financing but I leased). Was able to get about $1000 off MSRP in Canada, and they will install Black Line head & taillight rings for free. If your dealer is willing to give you $900 off right off the bat, push hard to get more!

·
Registered
45 Posts
How to play the game

Find out the cost price of your car. It is easier to negotiate from down to up, than from up to the unknown.

You can use car cost canada dot com. It is a trusted source, respected by dealers.

Find out the cost of the car you want to purchase with options. Head over to the dealership and ask to speak to the fleet manager. Tell them you want to buy a car like, now. And offer them 3-5% over cost.

Easy, peasey.

Cheers,

Madlor

ex. John Cooper works 2016 Retail*Price in canadian dollars
Base $33,240*
Invoice*Price** $30,913
plus freight $1,035* or **
add the option you want.... mine worked out to $36,481 cost, and the dealer negotiated purchase price was 2.9% over cost.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
There are many tactics you can use for negotiating the best price and it is in your best interest to do so. The dealership wont take offence to it unless you play it too hard and come across as rude.

General rule of thumb is if you can get about %10 off the full price of the car including options then you are doing well. It really comes down to the dealership and how keen they are for your business during that part of the month or time of the year. Just before financial year is the very best time and if the dealer is just short of making their target for the month, they will basically give you the car at cost price or even less so they make their target and get a nice bundle of money from Mini.

Dealing with more than 1 dealership will put you in a better negotiating position as they know they dont have a monopoly on you or even compare similar cars to the dealer and ask them to beat that so you buy a mini instead of car B.

Good luck, they are a great car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is what I did

I used Unhaggle dot com but, didn't seem to be as respected if you do your own negotiating with the dealer as Car Cost Canada dot com.

So, I subscribed for one year, and I found out the cost price for the vehicle, and each individual add-on or package. Then I filtered through the "con artists", as dealers in Canada are notoriously good at getting the upper hand. And, I found a dealer about 1 3/4 hours away from me that respected me, respected the Car Cost Canada pricing and was willing to negotiate.

I was told, depending on where on the model and pricing (base, mid or high end) the dealer would offer me Cost plus between 3 - 7 %. There are four things to negotiating the deal.

1. Respect the dealer and be nice with them. Show them or let them know you have used that service.
2. Let them know what it is your looking for, and let them know what feature or options are a must, and what are nice to have.
3. Realistically, you are going to try to negotiate for cost plus 3%, but be realistic. If you are buying a $18,000 (vs a $35,000) vehicle chances are there is not enough meat on the bone to expect to pay cost plus 3%.
4. And finally, best deals are had at the end of the month. More so, if there has been a promotion that expires for that month in question. If you happen to find a vehicle that is in stock and happens to belong to the dealer than you are in a better situation than if the dealer you are buying the vehicle from does not have to go and exchange it from another competing dealer.

Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.