Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only ordered at the weekend and I'm already getting impatiently excited. How on earth am I supposed to keep calm. I have at least a month to go! Help! How did you all cope?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Only a month? I was happy with a 10-week wait - but I'll grant you, the first month felt the longest! How to wile away the hours? I spent a lot of time on this forum, and I also downloaded the owner's manual from the US site and read that back-to-back umpteen times. As a result, I learned a lot more about the car I'd ordered - the things to look forward to, the things to watch out for - and I was much better prepared when it arrived. Once you get your VIN and have downloaded the data for your new car from the BMW site, you can amuse yourself for hours poring over the spec list. YouTube clips offer some diversion - online reviews, 0-60 sprints, how to avoid swirling while washing your car etc. etc. Somehow I pulled through. A month will be a breeze!

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
3 months for me we did a factory visit as well as shigamans suggestoins.enjoy the tension and build up. Worth it!

Reactions: Shigaman

·
Registered
998 Posts
don't read all the various fault posts, you'll only wind yourself up & worry to death that your car will fall apart as soon as you drive it away. It's the equivalent of looking on the NHS direct website & convincing yourself you are dying when all you have is a cold.

It's a brand new chassis platform and a brand new drivetrain. there are teething problems as with any new product to market these days, and the internet just makes things seem ten times worse than they are. i'm not belittling anybody who is facing problems with their car, but don't assume every car has every problem described. the vast majority of cars produced are absolutely fine and issues are being addressed.

also try to resist the temptation of spec creep..

·
Registered
288 Posts
10 weeks about for mine, just contribute to the forum,watch video's,contribute some more,then watch some more video's. Then download manual and read and read some more. Besides that just get on wi your life. But the day after you start going over the routine again lol.

Nowt you can do mate,just try n relax

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Bang on tandberg and hat. I'd reiterate.the.issues bit. Majority of people.don't join the forum because they dont.have.any issues. 2700 miles and no faults ex the slight door paint rub. There are numerous web stories of car faults for most makers. Check out rusty dusters but ours is perfect I had a golf r32 loads of issues they said but mine were all different issues!etc etc.

It's a great car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
don't read all the various fault posts, you'll only wind yourself up & worry to death that your car will fall apart as soon as you drive it away. It's the equivalent of looking on the NHS direct website & convincing yourself you are dying when all you have is a cold.

It's a brand new chassis platform and a brand new drivetrain. there are teething problems as with any new product to market these days, and the internet just makes things seem ten times worse than they are. i'm not belittling anybody who is facing problems with their car, but don't assume every car has every problem described. the vast majority of cars produced are absolutely fine and issues are being addressed.

also try to resist the temptation of spec creep..
I've read every single one of the fault posts and I have absolutely no worries. Each car is different. I had a Vauxhall Astra that was an angel for the three years I had it, yet a colleague has had nothing but trouble with his. It's the luck of the draw.

I do wonder, though, what is "spec creep?"

10 weeks about for mine, just contribute to the forum,watch video's,contribute some more,then watch some more video's. Then download manual and read and read some more. Besides that just get on wi your life. But the day after you start going over the routine again lol.

Nowt you can do mate,just try n relax
Oh man, you just described exactly what I've been doing for the past two weeks...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've read every single one of the fault posts and I have absolutely no worries. Each car is different. I had a Vauxhall Astra that was an angel for the three years I had it, yet a colleague has had nothing but trouble with his. It's the luck of the draw.

I do wonder, though, what is "spec creep?"

Oh man, you just described exactly what I've been doing for the past two weeks...

lol
the video about the sd walkaround and drive,i made a few comments on them two vids

·
Registered
234 Posts
Spec creep = the temptation to repeatedly ring the dealer to add on more options that youve read about and decided you cant live without
I tried that, but my spec was locked in from the day after I made my order because the dealer made it High Priority to avoid losing any money on my Part-Ex.

I tried to add Rear-View Camera and Electric Folding Mirrors. :D

lol
the video about the sd walkaround and drive,i made a few comments on them two vids
Haha, I'll see if I can find them. I love those walkabout videos, you see all or most of the car. You also learn things you didn't find out yourself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you had a build date yet? I ordered on the 19th, and my dealer has suggested I contact him next week for a confirmed week of build. Race you!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
23rd the order was put in for ours and was told to call in a couple of weeks time (9th March). Apparently Synter are able to 'jump the queue' so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My understanding is that "jumping the queue" means that they have vehicles already on order just for their lot, and will switch your order in for one of their "generic" ones. At least that is the case for US dealers, so I assume it is more or less the same for UK ones.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Long time reader, first time poster...

I had to laugh when I read the responses so far... I could have written nearly every post. I just ordered mine a week and a half ago and got my order confirmation Monday. As far as I can tell, I have watched everything on the F56S that YouTube has to offer (to include the Mini USA tutorials for the 5th and 6th times) in English... and at least two in German, one in Russian and one in Japanese. I broke down yesterday and downloaded the owners manual and Mini Connected, I've studied how to change the oil... I hang out here...

And here I was feeling utterly in control and congratulating myself for not obsessing ha (can't wait to get my VIN so I can set up my Owners Lounge account tho)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've ordered other new cars in the past and have waited longer, so I don't know what it is about Minis, but I'm definitely feeling the excitement more than usually!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep! I've had new before but not had one built from scratch with my options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi

Only a month ?

I ordered a MCSD 2 weeks ago and am being quoted week 3 April at the earliest !

Seems a long time .........

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
That's a while. I agree I think it's the fact you can if you can afford it spec the car exactly or as near as how you'd want.designing it yourself really adds to the excitement and when you visit the factory...do it if you can ,you realise there aren't many t h at are the same. It's a very special feeling and the wait makes it more so.still feels special after 6 months ownership.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts