Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

On the exterior back side windows, on the side that is on the C pillar that connects to the trunk; there is this fabric like stuff that is coming off and out of my mini. One side just peeled off with zero effort. It looks like a machine cut it as it's perfectly cut and looks like some sort of leftover material from shipping or something. There is a little bit of adhesive on it, but it's barely sticky.

Again, this is the exterior of my mini.

It's hard to explain, but just wondering what it is, and if anyone else had this peel off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it white?
No, it's a fabric that greatly resembles that of my anthracite headliner.

Shipping protective shrinkwrap????? A pic would help.
I'm not sure if it's from shipping or not.

Here are a few pics I took http://imgur.com/a/TN5fP#0, the red arrow points at the questionable area between the pillar and window. I also took a couple of pics of the piece that came off. Also, please ignore the crappy editing job to remove my face from the reflection :p. Lastly, I'm going to wash my MINI tomorrow, so ignore the dirt :p.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Time to see the Dealer. This is a part of the lining that goes between the window and the body
Being in an apartment with no garage or covered car port, and a storm expected to roll in today, will the piece that came out have compromised the waterproofness of my car? I really don't want to come out to a flooded car.

If it makes any difference when I look between the pillar and glass it does appear to still have that seal, just without that extra fabric.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you want you can put some clear plastic over the window and just wedge it between the hatch and passenger door or go to a Home Depo/Paint Shop and buy one of those below to keep the water out. They are not expensive.
So, you think the piece has compromised the waterproofness? Do you know the specific part number this is, as it's not like a rubber weather seal. It's like a frayed fabric.

I honestly noticed this fabric a couple months ago but thought it was normal, or just excess material, now that one side came out in not sure anymore. Water has never managed to get in when it was there.

Can anyone else check this area of their mini and see if there's this fabric visible?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is an additional shot of the side that the fabric came off of, http://i.imgur.com/HAwllXk.jpg. As you can see, there is now a flush non frayed layer still visible at this angle under the window. The window doesn't move or anything either when I push on it a little.

This sort of makes me think it's excess, but IDK. I wish I had a part number from where this came from. It's just really odd that it looks EXACTLY like my headliner.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just called the dealership. They told me that there is actually some service advisory about this. They said bring it in and they'll get it all trimmed properly and make it all good again. They told me this doesn't affect the weatherproofness of the windows at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.