Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a fairy warm day here in London but not a day that I would expect this to happen! I've called Mini Mobile Care who are coming out in the next hour... Anyone had a similar issue? :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
OOer have you checked your coolant recently; that doesnt look good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought however I'm not with the car my wife is. It could be numerous things, coolant, sensor, fan etc...

I'm seriously hoping its something simple and cheap!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
Hope its nothing and a quick fix. Fingers XED for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks Jeremy...

Unfortunately its not nothing :(

Transpires that the fan at the back of the radiator has come loose and caused coolant to leak?!?!?!

Not sure what has caused it but hope to find out tomorrow...

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
Oh no poor you. Let's hope no lasting damage and its quickly fixed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE AND HELP NEEDED!

Ok, so Mini have now reviewed my car and believe that a small screw driver has fallen into the fan and then into the radiator!

They were very quick to confirm it wasn't one of there's given they re-gassed the aircon system a month ago.

I of course haven't been in there with a screw driver so it can only be the garage I bought it from! So how is it that a screwdriver will have stayed put for 6 months and then work its way into the fan after 5,000 miles??!!??

Mini of course have said there is no cover under the warranty and are wanting to charge me £1,300!

Should I contest this with Mini or do I have no chance??

:(

·
Registered
303 Posts
So have they just decided to believe it's a small screwdriver or have they actually found the screwdriver in situ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They found a screwdriver insitu. They claim its not one of theirs as they only use "Snap On"...

But how can either of us proof that?

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
V tricky could it have flickedr up off the road .not likely but I think you have grounds to fightt this on basis you had them work on iit.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would think you can push this and certainly get some goodwill if not full warranty/dealership coverage.

If you have TLC service package, no modifications and one of the models with no oil dipstick then apart from screen wash there's absolutely no reason to open the bonnet, let alone with a screwdriver. I'd ask what work needs to be carried out during the regassing process to see if such a screwdriver was needed and also have a peek if all the workshop tools are snap on.

It'll be tough to prove either way but certainly give it a go!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all.

I fought hard and they have said they have taken photos and have the screwdriver which they will show me tomorrow when I collect the car. They confirmed that they only use Snap On tools and this is a cheap plastic tool. Plus they found cables which had been gaffer taped and some screws which hadn't be put back properly so its all pointing to a dodgy repair effort!

As with all these things they are sent to try us and you've just got to suck it up and put it down to experience!

If I ever see the bloke I bought it from I will be sure to secure a screwdriver where the sun don't shine!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts