Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all.

I've gone through the specifications of both but what are the differences between them?

NM Power Module is sub $400 where as the JB4 Burgertune is around $500!!

There has to be a huge positive to the JB4 I would assume?

Enlighten me!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have two 2015 mini's cooper s's. One has the NM the other the Burger. Burger pulls way harder. In fact the Burger on a stock f56 can easily pull away from a f56 with the JCW tune and exhaust. The NM in high and or low setting can only pull away slightly. I have data logged both. The Burger has lower peak boost PSI however it is more consistent through the entire RPM range. The NM falls flat in the higher RPM range. Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
615 Posts
if tinkering with maps and logging is your thing you might prefer the JB.
You don't have to enjoy tinkering with maps or logging to enjoy the JB4.... You could just leave it on map1 or map2 (no different to NM on low or high) and just enjoy :)

The advantage of the NM module is it's easier to remove and install compared to the JB4 which is probably the most awkward to install of the tuning boxes available due to the use of the ODB2 cable needed for map2 and in car map switching

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have two 2015 mini's cooper s's. One has the NM the other the Burger. Burger pulls way harder. In fact the Burger on a stock f56 can easily pull away from a f56 with the JCW tune and exhaust. The NM in high and or low setting can only pull away slightly. I have data logged both. The Burger has lower peak boost PSI however it is more consistent through the entire RPM range. The NM falls flat in the higher RPM range. Your milage may vary.
Is this with Map1 or 2 and do you know the HP gain difference between the two? Also, are there any other conditions needed to run Map 2, 100 octane, catless DP, etc?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Title says it all.

I've gone through the specifications of both but what are the differences between them?

NM Power Module is sub $400 where as the JB4 Burgertune is around $500!!

There has to be a huge positive to the JB4 I would assume?

Enlighten me!
Is your mini still covered by the OEM warranty? And if it is have you asked your dealer about warranty implications if you use the Burgertune? The main advantage of the NM module is it is a quick uninstall without a sufficient detectable electronic trail if you have warranty work done and don't want to risk a warranty dispute. I have not tried the high setting on the NM yet as I have not been able to obtain unleaded high octane race fuel to mix with the 93 octane available at the pump. A caveat for me is that driving the extreme twisties that I enjoy the car has adequate oomph to exceed my driving abilities. When I can take corners fast enough to tear inner tire sidewall linings additional power is more or less wasted.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One question, here, in France, we can run with 95 and 98 octane.
Do you think the 98 unleaded is enough to use the NM power module on the highest position

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
One question, here, in France, we can run with 95 and 98 octane.
Do you think the 98 unleaded is enough to use the NM power module on the highest position
You can run it on the high setting regardless of the octane rating and it will not damage your mini. However, I don't know what gains will be realized over the low setting. I have never tried it on the high setting. With the NM and the JCW PRO exhaust I realized a 30 horsepower increase with a corresponding increase in torque on the low setting. I have had it on the car for almost a year and I am very pleased with it. The pull in overboost is amazing. I still plan to acquire some 100 octane fuel and set it to high and see what gains I can achieve. The best feature is it's plug and play and it can be removed and reinstalled with ease in less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thank you for your answer ;)
A 30 horsepower increase is, for me, quiet enough !
As it's strictly forbidden in France ( insurance won't work in case of serious accidents if the engine has been upgrade ), the plug and play system is a good thing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm wondering if a NM or a Dinan power module works on a european engine.
It has been developped in USA for the north american market, and I'm not sure that the BMW engine has the same specifications on each side of the atlantic ocean !!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wondered about that too, plus finding a NM module in the UK is tough.

I think I'm going to either for for a RaceChips, Remus Powersiser or Rebellion Automotive module, however I think the last 2 might just be rebranded versions of the Racechips one!

·
Registered
615 Posts
The official NM importer in the UK will not supply NM module as they stated that EU and US spec engines are different and did not want any warranty issue comeback on them to risk selling them so the only choice is to import the unit yourself from the US.

I think the units are much the same and similar...

I chose JB4 (albeit more expensive) due to the fact I had JB4 with a previous car and they seem to have good support having a dedicated forum.

The higher map on JB4 offers more boost that it's competitors but the installation is more difficult (need to feed in ODB2 cable)...

I personally run mine on map1 with lower boost at the moment as I feel the car is better for not having too much power/torque though the front wheels and the delivery is smoother (more OEM like) where as map2 is quite manic and there is quite a bit more torque steer to contend with but the extra power is quite noticable.

Mine Dyno'd 227 bhp std. (JCW Tuning Kit), 262 bhp map1 and 285 bhp map2

I think whichever you choose, they all should perform similar in my opinion

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have just received an answer from Dinan:
" It's the same connectors on the Euro Mini S as the one here so it will work just fine".
It doesn't answer exactly to my question.
What interest me doesn't concern the connectors ( or a little bit ), but rather the specifications of the engine witch may be different.....................

·
Registered
166 Posts
I send a new email, and I've got my answer:
"They are the same. Starting with the F series cars the BMW/MINI are “world cars” and are no longer differentiated. Some locales get different models such as the 1 series no longer being offered in the states but there is no euro and NA spec variants any longer."

Thanks to Dinan company !
;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
And NM gave the same answer, 5 minutes ago.
The engine are the same worldwide !!
Thanks to Jerry from NM ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
The final NM answer:
"the engine is 100% the same world wide…There are two types of 2.0T for BMW/MINI: B46 and B48 depending on emission level… and we got both here in US. I think most cars are B48 now. The module will work perfectly on both, even on the new BMW X1 with the same engine"

1 - 20 of 47 Posts