Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this kit ? I saw it on a YouTube channel called 100% mini ,the stage 1 gains are awesome ! Also with something like this would I need to declare it with my insurance company or is it easy removed if I have an accident ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
JB4 is an excellent piece of kit, very popular with BMW tuning.

You would 100% need to declare it to your insurance. It's easily removable if you are taking your car in for warranty work etc. Could you guarantee you would be able to remove it quickly enough in the event of an accident if you were injured etc....? Definitely not worth the gamble! Far better to just declare it, pay the additional premium and keep your cover valid imho. :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have said this before. I agree it can be removed easily with a few tools, but be careful trying to hide it from someone. Imagine these three scenarios, and what this would mean to you, dealer/BMW and your insurance company.

1, Your car dies by the side of the motorway/freeway, you are stranded on the side of the road at night, it's raining and you don't have any tools with you. You call Mini assistance, they tow the car to the nearest dealer this is not your local dealer, and they blame the tuning box for the breakdown.

2, You crash the car, into a tree, the air bags have deployed, but you need to be taken to hospital, so you are unable to remove the tuning box, or you can't open the bonnet/hood after the accident. The car is towed and you have no chance to remove the box before the insurance company inspects the car.

3, The car catches fire, due to a fault. You stop and get out, but the fire is under the bonnet/hood, so you can't remove the tuning box. BMW inspects the remains and finds the the additional parts, so won't accept any responsibility because the extra heat from the tuning is blamed for the fire, and the insurance company won't pay because the mod wasn't declared.

Obviously these are worst case, but I guess 1 could happen. What I am saying is don't try and hide it, accept the cost / impact of modifying, and enjoy it. I have one modified car which is out of warranty, the insurance company knows about every nut and bolt of the changes made. My cars in warranty remain stock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I declared all the mods on my present car (not a Mini)

Remap, upgraded brakes, custom exhaust. Some insurance companies wouldn't touch it, some wanted silly money.

Admiral were sensible, it cost me an additional £20

Shop around, declare everything, don't give the slimy buggers any excuse not to pay out

·
Registered
9 Posts
i've gotten into a pretty serious accident on my previous porsche 911 in the past (about 30k worth of damage to the car), the car had quite a lot of modifications, roll bars, harnesses, upgraded brakes, fixed back racing seats, exhaust, etc. The insurance company did not give me a hassle bout any of my mods. they paid to fix the car. the only thing they told me is that they wouldnt pay to fix any after market parts on the car since i did not request extra coverage for these items, but they will pay for any parts that came with the car originally.

they didnt bother to check for tunes or anyting else...i know that there is a possibility that your insurance company would deny your claim due to a tune but i find that highly unlikely. on the other hand, the dealer denying warranty claims due a tune is probably a much more likely scenario.

that being said, i am in Canada. not sure how strict the insurance companies in other countries are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.