Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've had the JCW pro upgrade kit on my cooper s for a couple of years now. Lately I've been noticing the exhaust doesn't remain open for the duration of my trip (indicated open by the periodic led flash on the fob).

Has anyone else has this problem - how did you fix it?

Many thanks
Ash

·
Registered
35 Posts
When was the last time you changed the battery on the fob?

I actually disconnected the wire-harrness for the pro exhaust value so it's open permanently. Fairly simple process...
1) Turn engine on, press fob to open pro-exhaust value
2) Disconnect the wire-harness at the open-close switch at the exhaust. Disconnecting the wire-harness with the value open will leave it in the open position. Okay to turn engine off...
3) Cover up/secure (duck tape) the wire-harness connectors to keep them clean/dry.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Have you got an Apple Watch? If you have put it in "airplane" mode and test. My JCW Pro upgrade on my MCS was perfect for 10 months until I purchased an Apple Watch, after that point it would close on it's own after a random period of time. I swapped the battery, but that had no effect. Then discovered that putting the Apple Watch in "airplane" mode resolved the issue, and the exhaust would stay open for my longest journey.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I haven't changed the battery yet - I did try to but it looks as though you need a pair of pliers to remove it from the fob.

I was tempted to permanently open it but never really looked in to how to do it. Is it easy enough to do - where is the wiring connectors?

Thanks
Ash

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all.

So I successfully changed the battery a month or so ago.

I've driven a 200 mile trip with the exhaust remaining open. I've also driven 5 miles with it closing off its own accord ?

The only thing I can think of as causing it is interference. I guess I'll never know ?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Most likely a blue tooth device in proximity to your car. I have never had a problem with mine with almost 30,000 miles of driving, it has performed flawlessly and it is still on the original battery. If you want it on all the time it is a simple fix. Wire it in the open position.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here - http://www.fastredmini.com/2016/12/jcw-tuning-kit.html (my site)

I got tired of mine randomly shutting off. I've had mine disabled for about a year. It literally takes a minute to do and you won't ever have to worry about hitting that stupid button.

You are unplugging the BT control, no wiring, cutting, getting on your hands and knees, just unplugging a connection in the trunk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys I've just got a replacement BT button as car has pro exhaust but the previous owner had lost the button how do I connect?? I've held for 15 seconds, double tapped the lot. Do I need to unplug something??

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here’s a link to a post by @James-B93 showing the instructions that come with the kit:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Cheers pal. Tried it all. In at autovolk on Thursday see what they say. Wasn't paying £90 for a diagnosis with Mini.
The instructions were absolutely shocking, I drove around for days trying to sync it and couldn't get it to go...until I sacked off the gash instructions and used a bit of common sense and held both the button on the receiver and the open/close button together at the same time and it synced almost instantly.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The instructions were absolutely shocking, I drove around for days trying to sync it and couldn't get it to go...until I sacked off the gash instructions and used a bit of common sense and held both the button on the receiver and the open/close button together at the same time and it synced almost instantly.
The instructions seem ridiculously unclear.

Are you supposed to remove and replace the battery in step 2?......I wonder if steps 1 & 2 are just to clear out any existing pairing!?

When I was looking around for my MCS, I spoke to Bowker mini about the tuning kit as they had one of the best fitted prices. I believe they’ve fitted a fair few, and they seemed knowledgable and always willing to answer my questions. In fact, I think one of the guys had the kit installed on his Mini.

It couldn’t hurt to call them, or another dealer, and ask if they can talk you through the pairing process. Worst case scenario is they say no. :)

Here’s the link for Bowker:

Edit: I believe it was the parts guys I spoke with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I might just drive straight down to the parts department. In the showroom they was wanting bro charge £90 for diagnosis but not playing those games after a £411 service.

·
Registered
68 Posts
assuming you paid a dealer to supply and fit, I’d have thought resolving this out of warranty would be looked at sympathetically. More so if the servicing done at Mini as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts