Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I hope you are having a great day!

I'm thinking of buying the JCW brake kit for my F55 with the regural (non-bowed) 17" track spoke wheels.

I just measured the gap between the brake discs and the wheel spokes and it's 53mm.

I would like to keep the stock wheels and use either 12mm or 15mm spacers if possible.

So, I would like a favor from any JCW owner to measure the space between the brake discs and the wheel spokes to get an idea of how big of a spacer I need before purchasing the brake kit.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok guys. Since no one bothered to answer me, I went to the showroom with a measuring tape. And here are the findings.

First of all, the brake discs of the JCW brakes are much thicker. So I took the measurment from behind the discs to the immer spokes.

For the JCW car with the 18" cup spoke wheels, the distance was 88mm.

And for the CooperS with the the 17" track spoke wheels, the gap was 76mm.

In conclusion, AT LEAST 12mm spacers are needed to fit the JCW brakes with the CooperS 17" track spoke wheels.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The alloys on the JCW are different to the non-JCW (even the track spoke) so its not a safe bet that the measurements are correct (they bow outwards on a JCW). What you need to do is measure the distance from where the caliper bolts to the furtherst part out the caliper could touch the alloys, then that will tell you your spacer size. I have the kit but have not had the time to measure due to crap weather up here. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The alloys on the JCW are different to the non-JCW (even the track spoke) so its not a safe bet that the measurements are correct (they bow outwards on a JCW). What you need to do is measure the distance from where the caliper bolts to the furtherst part out the caliper could touch the alloys, then that will tell you your spacer size. I have the kit but have not had the time to measure due to crap weather up here. :)
The distance you are refering to is 53mm in the S with 17" track spoke wheels and 58mm in the JCW with the bowed 18" cup spoke wheels.

But the brake discs in the JCW are much thicker not just the calipers, so that's why I measured the distance taking in account the brake discs thickness.

This sounds confusing, but I will go with 12mm or 15mm spacers and hope the 17" track spokes will clear the JCW brakes :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
you could be completely right mate (although the alloy shouldnt come in to play with the measurement I suggested), Im not doubting you (id love you to be right) I am just one of these people that like to double check myself :)

The spacer and weather is the last thing I need in order to fit mine, but its constatly raining here atm and no garage so I am not prepared to check until the weather clears up :)

I was hoping it would be max 12mm as thats what Ill be going for all round if that clears them.

Put up pics once your sorted!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you could be completely right mate (although the alloy shouldnt come in to play with the measurement I suggested), Im not doubting you (id love you to be right) I am just one of these people that like to double check myself :)

The spacer and weather is the last thing I need in order to fit mine, but its constatly raining here atm and no garage so I am not prepared to check until the weather clears up :)

I was hoping it would be max 12mm as thats what Ill be going for all round if that clears them.

Put up pics once your sorted!
Yeah, I hope I'm right too haha.

My plan is to order the parts by this week and I'll be going with the H&R 12mm spacers all around.

Will put pics once installed for sure :)

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would add some hel stainless braided lines at the same time, also upgrade fluid

In fact I did

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have some calipers if you want to save a few pounds, assuming your in the uk

·
Registered
213 Posts
You would be suprised, living up North, annoyingly it can be good during the week when im stuck at work then its dark when you get back, then on the weekends its raining or some other form of crap weather. Hopefully in the next few weeks I wont need my gloves and wellies :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.