Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First post on here.... I'm 2 months into ownership of a Cooper SD 5 door and I love it! However I'm after some more braking power to match the torque figure.

Brakes felt really sharp on the test drive, but now I've got used to the speed of the car the brakes aren't as good as I need - I don't want to void the warranty on a PCP agreement yet the standard brakes are a bit meh...

I understand that MINI offer a JCW brake/suspension upgrade pack of some kind - has anyone had any experience of this or getting it in the UK? I'm still waiting for my dealer to get back to me with this

Thanks
JW

·
Registered
213 Posts
Its something I am considering, Rybrook on here (the dealer) were offering them for £1500ish fitted so they much be able to get a hold of them. Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The simplest and cheapest thing would be to swap the pads for a fast road type such as Mintex M1144 or Ferodo DS2500. These are not Mini parts so you won't get a dealer to do it but a local garage should do it for peanuts if you don't want to DIY. Just keep the OEM pads and put them back before returning the car.

It depends on what you want - fast road pads don't have the same instant bite at low speeds but are much stronger once hot. So if it's more braking power under hard use, they would be ideal. If you want more braking power at light pedal pressures around town, they would not be suitable.

I first converted my Roadster SD to (R56) S brakes and found they didn't fade badly like the originals but weren't great under hard use. Swapping to M1144 pads has provided the missing braking power at high speed. F55 SDs have the same brakes as F55 Ss, so at least you haven't been short-changed like I was with my Roadster SD, but Mini OEM brakes seem designed to provide good gentle braking that a shopping car needs, but are not performance oriented.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My understanding re the JCW brake upgrade is that they're not currently available- a couple of dealers now have said they're on back order with no estimated arrival date as yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys - interesting to hear about the ETA date (or lack of) for the JCW kit.

In terms of the actual brakes, they are ok for 'normal' driving, but definitely fade after not long of aggressive driving. I find they even start to fade during the one braking zone although that is normally from the wrong end of the speedo (69mph ish ;)). Presumably I'm not the only one?!

They're not that progressive and pedal feedback isn't great, but I think it's just a case of needing bigger rotors and quad piston callipers both ends.

The alternative is to buy an aftermarket brake kit then retrofit the OEM brakes every time it goes in for a service... not sure I can be bothered!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the JCW Brembo brake upgrade on my car - they are awesome!

You wont regret getting them, but as has been said they are currently on back order.

MINI have been nothing short of farcical with their attitude towards the aftermarket catalogue. The F56 has been on the market for 18 months for christ sake!!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
So these will not fit with 17" Cosmos wheels?
I'm no expert but I do know about the F56 JCW wheels. My bet is the Cosmos wheels "will not" clear the JCW Brembo calipers, on the front at least. This is why the JCW wheel selection is so slim, and all options have curved spokes "barely" clearing the Brembos.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm no expert but I do know about the F56 JCW wheels. My bet is the Cosmos wheels "will not" clear the JCW Brembo calipers, on the front at least. This is why the JCW wheel selection is so slim, and all options have curved spokes "barely" clearing the Brembos.
That definitely makes sense, thanks for replying. :nerd:

·
Registered
101 Posts
In terms of the actual brakes, they are ok for 'normal' driving, but definitely fade after not long of aggressive driving. I find they even start to fade during the one braking zone although that is normally from the wrong end of the speedo (69mph ish ;)). Presumably I'm not the only one?!

They're not that progressive and pedal feedback isn't great, but I think it's just a case of needing bigger rotors and quad piston callipers both ends.
Thats the biggest let down on the SD as I have to admit the brakes are really poor.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

I am new to this forum and I own a 2012 Mini Cooper SD, does any one know of any brake upgrade kits that will fit the standard 17" wheels?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Wildwood makes a BBK for the F56. You might look into that. I don't think the calipers are as big as the Brembos. I just had the JCW brake kit installed on my F56 a couple days ago. I used NM RSe05 wheels to clear the calipers. Less expensive than buying JCW wheels from a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Thanks will look into that, The brakes in the pic are just what i am looking for,

Thanks for info

My car in pic bellow, Think red callipers will give it that bit of colour it needs.
The red calipers really pop on a dark color car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts