Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped into the local dealers the other day with my wife to show her the new Clubman.
Very impressed overall and they had one in the burgundy with silver roof and mirror caps which would be the colour combo of my choice.

However we were only looking....

On talking to one of the sales guys about things in general, the subject of the JCW Clubman was brought up.

Now this may not be correct but he did suggest the JCW version would be 4 wheel drive and have 250BHP!

Any others heard about this???

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
There's another thread on here devoted to the subject.

The rumour was that it was a version of the BMW 328 engine mated to an 8 speed ZF box (similar to the M135) and it would use the new Countryman 4 wheel drive system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I spotted in a recent Auto Express that the next JCW Clubman would be 4wd and upto 300 bhp aiming at the likes of Golf R, S3 & Focus RS etc. Nothing like setting your aims high and would love to see a 300bhp Mini and being totally honest it would probably be best in a Clubman as you would need as much stability with the longer wheelbase the clubman brings....oh and 4wd

Dear Mr Mini/BMW please make this >:D

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yeah & you are probably talking some very strong money for such a car! Most won't be able to afford such an animal.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah & you are probably talking some very strong money for such a car! Most won't be able to afford such an animal.
If it's up against the Golf R etc there is plenty of scope for "strong" pricing! (£45k fully spec'd here)

As I've said before, it's on my "downsizing" list if it's 300bhp, otherwise it'll probably be the Golf.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There's another thread on here devoted to the subject.

The rumour was that it was a version of the BMW 328 engine mated to an 8 speed ZF box (similar to the M135) and it would use the new Countryman 4 wheel drive system.

The engine is mounted transversely in the Clubman and longitudinally in the M135. The cars wouldn't be related in any way as the M is RWD only.

Sent from Tandy 400

·
Registered
608 Posts
The engine is mounted transversely in the Clubman and longitudinally in the M135. The cars wouldn't be related in any way as the M is RWD only.

Sent from Tandy 400
Not really that relevant nowadays, the "footprint" of the cylinder block and gearbox mating are pretty interchangeable. Unless the 135 is a 6-pot.. then that's a different matter!

(But you only need 2.0l to safely make 300bhp so I see no reason why they can't use the current block)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not really that relevant nowadays, the "footprint" of the cylinder block and gearbox mating are pretty interchangeable. Unless the 135 is a 6-pot.. then that's a different matter!

(But you only need 2.0l to safely make 300bhp so I see no reason why they can't use the current block)

The 135 is a 6. Gearboxes definitely matter in FR versus FF even if the bell housings are the same pattern. I'm not sure about BMW, but the Toyotas I've worked on have the starter on the block side on the FR vehicles and on the transaxle side on the FF vehicles even on the same engine code (2GR-FKS).

I agree that they would use the existing 2.0L. It makes 240hp (underrated) in the 328i.

Sent from Tandy 400

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The JCW being AWD is pretty much all but confirmed since the announcement of the ALL4 Clubman, however I doubt it would have the 300HP numbers I've heard tossed around. It will probably be the same B48M engine the F56 JCW has with the same power output, just like every other JCW that's released to date.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts

Sent from Tandy 400
Being an ex M135 owner, i'm fully aware that they are RWD..... And you can get an M135 Xdrive, just not in the UK. I'm trying to work out the point of your post, as I clearly stated that it would be a "version of" or something similar.

The M135 uses a 6 pot, the x28i engine is 4 cylinders, which could quite easily be modified to sit transversely in another car. Likewise, the ZF box could be modified, but it would need a "transaxle" set up to be FWD. However, I'm not sure how modern 4x4's work in cars that are usually FWD, having only ever played with a couple of Audi's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Being an ex M135 owner, i'm fully aware that they are RWD..... And you can get an M135 Xdrive, just not in the UK. I'm trying to work out the point of your post, as I clearly stated that it would be a "version of" or something similar.

The M135 uses a 6 pot, the x28i engine is 4 cylinders, which could quite easily be modified to sit transversely in another car. Likewise, the ZF box could be modified, but it would need a "transaxle" set up to be FWD. However, I'm not sure how modern 4x4's work in cars that are usually FWD, having only ever played with a couple of Audi's.

The 328i engine is basically the same one in the current gen MINI but configured sideways with a lesser tune. I'm not disagreeing with that.

I'm saying it isn't practical to reconfigure a longitudinal transmission to work as transverse. A transverse transaxle has the differential built into the case and housing. The input shaft line uses a counter drive and driven gear to spin the differential rather than the input and output shaft being on the same axis (talking AT only, here...). My basic point is that they fundamentally function in a different way and I wouldn't use experience with the M135 ZF to set any expectations for the JCW clubman.

Transverse AWD usually has a different shaped differential case built into the transaxle case and housing. It will have a splined sleeve that engages the transfer case that will then send power to rear prop shaft and back to the front axles (directly via the diff). Usually, there is a clutch pack on the rear of the rear prop shaft to change how much torque gets to the rear differential. This is why most of these systems are considered FWD biased AWD.

Longitudinal cutaway:

Transverse cutaway:

Sent from Tandy 400

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
The new Clubbie AWD has an 8 speed auto I believe (although not the ZF), so I would guess that would be the base for it. The latest in the x28i engines is now the x30 range, with around 250bhp, although the 228i is around 240, so not much different from the current JCW engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The new Clubbie AWD has an 8 speed auto I believe (although not the ZF), so I would guess that would be the base for it. The latest in the x28i engines is now the x30 range, with around 250bhp, although the 228i is around 240, so not much different from the current JCW engine.

Yea, I expect the current 8AT and 6MT will carry over to the JCW. The 8AT is a nice box, but I think we will still go 6MT. Manuals feel so right in MINIs despite how good the AT can be.

Sent from Tandy 400

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.