Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Noticed a squeaking noise whilst driving and assumed it was from a wheel / suspension.
However now know it is the clutch as if I just rest my foot gently on the clutch, the noise stops.

Went to the dealer today who says that a clutch out job means engine out, and any clutch issues are usually considered a consumable - therefore not covered under warranty . . . . . Car is a 2016 JCW with around 10k km on the clock, has a RaceChip Pro installed and is driven in a "spirited fashion".
Clutch does not slip and gearbox seems tight and does not jump out of gear.

Any thoughts if this could be a terminal clutch problem ?

Cheers,
FC.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went to the dealer today. Apparently they think it might be a pressure bearing in the clutch (hope the translation from Dutch is correct !)

As the engine has to come out, they claim it's a 2-3 day job.

First day is to diagnose the issue - EUR1,000, then fault rectification which if a new clutch is another EUR1,000.

If the issue once foto's are taken and sent to BMW is deemed to be my fault - I take the bill of EUR2,000 . . . . . .

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
It certainly sounds like the pressure release bearing.

Sorry to say but the get out clause for MINI is saying "it's driver abuse" and you are left with a big bill. Is there a good independent you could go to for advise? I know my local one don't charge for advise.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi,

Is this the same as the problem experienced in the video below?

https://youtu.be/zcz9Xq5Qpn8

This is not my car, but my f56 2014S has this problem and despite half a dozen dealer visits, they haven't been able to diagnose or fix anything.

Thankfully the problem comes and goes randomly - but it does sound very broken and tacky when it appears.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Is this the same as the problem experienced in the video below?

https://youtu.be/zcz9Xq5Qpn8

This is not my car, but my f56 2014S has this problem and despite half a dozen dealer visits, they haven't been able to diagnose or fix anything.

Thankfully the problem comes and goes randomly - but it does sound very broken and tacky when it appears.
Nope - mine is constant and does not change in volume or pitch the faster you drive.

Garage have said it sounds like the pressure bearing is failing.

Yes I have a Racechip Pro fitted, but for this to fail after around 12,000km I find ridiculous.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m noticing the same issue, just when I change from 1st to 2nd and 3rd back to 2nd at the start I thought it was releasing the clutch to early and it was a case of “can’t find them grind them” and being a new style of car for me I would just need to be gentle but even when I do slower gear changes I’ll still hear the squeak just for a longer period.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nope - mine is constant and does not change in volume or pitch the faster you drive.

Garage have said it sounds like the pressure bearing is failing.

Yes I have a Racechip Pro fitted, but for this to fail after around 12,000km I find ridiculous.
Did you manage to get to the bottom of this? My 2016 Cooper S is having the exact same noise.
High pitched, in neutral and in gear at low revs. Stays the same pitch and volume through speed and Rev range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts