Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sealing my wheels earlier and noticed that the black paint is pitted in between most of the spokes, although not all of them!
Anybody else noticed this? My cars only got 4000 miles on it - would it be stone chips?

This is one that is pitted:

And this is the next spoke along - hardly pitted at all:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does not look like stone chips to me either. I have a mini cooper s (2015, 13 months old, 7,500 miles) and I can honestly say that there is not a single mar in the black paint finish. I am in an area that has a lot of traffic and stones on the road. My wheels are not the same model, but they are mini factory 16" wheels, finished in black. I'd return to dealer and register a complaint.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Your rotor looks kind of dirty....have you been driving in the winter with salt/chemical applied roads? Could be the problem....just thinking outside the box. Harsh chemicals on winter road surfaces can do a number on any alloy wheels.

·
Registered
769 Posts
In the first picture it also looks like the paint is coming off the bottom of the JCW caliper.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the car professionally detailed and sealed in December - he used a wheel cleaner /iron X and sealed them..it was then that he pointed them out. I've only really got round to looking at them properly when I was revealing them yesterday

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wheel cleaner is extremely corrosive. I've had an instance on my motorcycle rim of heavy heavy pitting because the cleaner was left on too long and not rinsed properly. that was caused by a dealer who ended up replacing the rim because of it

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I agree with some others . My thoughts are the wheel wasn't prepared correctly . It just took a little normal wear to bring out the defect. I would stop by the dealer and let them have a look. Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
That is great news!!!! Glad to hear that all worked out in the end and you have a good dealer to do business with. :):) I be sure that will set the dealers profit margin on your car back by quite a few $$$$. Customer 1 Dealer Null :D:D Can you keep the old wheels or will they go back to Mini so they can inspect them?

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
That is great service, rather surprising though unless they have had inside knowledge of this potentially being a problem or a quiet service bulletin send from Mini land.
Anyway, great result.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm really happy - I thought they'd be just be re-painting them at best!
My dealer is pretty good though - they've looked after any warranty work I've needed for over 7 years and pushed for warranty work even when my MINI ran out of warranty!
I didn't even buy the car from this dealer!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm really happy - I thought they'd be just be re-painting them at best!
My dealer is pretty good though - they've looked after any warranty work I've needed for over 7 years and pushed for warranty work even when my MINI ran out of warranty!
I didn't even buy the car from this dealer!
Wow that is good! He's hoping you buy your next car from him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.