Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after looking at JCWs for a few weeks i drove 1 at a dealers last week.
I've had a Cooper 1.5 a while back and can't remember what it was like to drive (had several cars since) but driving the JCW wasn't what i expected - clutch pedal not so light so stop/start traffic would probably bother me?
I'm now trying to do a deal on another JCW (2016my with 13k) but as it's a long way away it's an online deal and if it goes through i'll drive over in a week or so and make the swap with my current car so i hope if it happens it'll feel better than the last JCW (2016my with 23k).

I've seen the youtube vidss, read the reports and reviews but these are to show what the cars are like to drive (speed, handling, etc) - what are they like for daily driving (i only do 8 miles each way to work)?

My current car is comfy, heater works well on cold mornings, it's smooth in stop/star traffic and economical

Would you buy a JCW again or would you go for something more comfy/ grown up?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It is really a personal choice. I have had 2 JCWs, an R56 and now an F56 and I love them both. I kept the R for a couple of years and traded as part of the deal for the F series. I miss the nimbleness of the R, but the F more than makes up for that with power and performance. It is a proper little beastie and I have had it for 3 years and change with no issues. It is a loaded model with most of the bells and whistles including the JCW performance exhaust. In eco mode the mileage is good, but it spends most of its time with the exhaust open in sport mode and still manages about 25 (US) mpg. It has 40K + miles and has been flawless.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can answer this one as well.

Had a F56 Cooper for 2 years, daily driver (20km each day). Flawless.
Wanted more power/fun.
Got the LCI JCW in April 2018. Daily driver, first 40km a day, now 15km a day. Everything works, it can be comfy if you want it to be (only when the GF is in the car to be honest) but it can be a little demon the rest of the time. As stated above, I also spend 95% of the time with the exhaust open and in sport mode. I get kinda bad fuel consumption (10l/100km) but I couldn't care less. It can also do quite ok (6.5l/100km on a holiday run down to Italy) but that's rare.

I also have the roof box/bars, so it can also be reasonably practical for a fun holiday as well.

So apart from a few little rattles (which all got fixed by the dealer), it's also flawless. Best car I've owned so far in my life.

Have it all, I say.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wouldn't say I use mine daily but I have no issues with a heavy clutch. The gearbox is very 'notchy', which you may either love or hate. Personally, I love it. It will pull away in 2nd, change to 4th and still pull. I either do pottering around town and it is happy to sit at 20-30mph in 5th. On the motorway it will cruise at 70 in 6th and is very quiet compared to my old R53. It's also more economical, comfortable and faster than my previous car. For a car with so much power, it can be driven very tamely or when you feel like it, flick to Sport and go mad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't commute in my JCW although do around 50K a year in an Insignia Sri estate and drive all over the UK.
The 2 cars are chalk and cheese, but I will always look for any excuse to get behind the wheel of my mini.
I have lounge leather seats and variable dampers. On the soft setting the mini is not much stiffer than the Vauxhall. I have 18" run flats on the mini too.

My wife has a F56 Cooper with standard leather sports seats and 16" wheels and you feel the bumps more in it than the JCW. The Cooper feels lighter on the steering and better handling due to the lighter engine. Both minis are lovely to drive, but you just can beat the noise and sheer grunt from the JCW. I can't stop grinning whenever I go out in it and would gladly take it to work if I had to.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It is absolutely a daily driver. Variable dampers on mine means it's a comfortable cruiser and a complete hooligan in one car.

I haven't found another car that can be both and is interesting, so it will probably be another JCW for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,480 Posts
As above we all think mini has it all. But if you're really concerned 're clutch get the auto it's a hoot! And I was a confirmed manual man!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you go and see it in mini doncaster?

No haven't seen it advertised on the approved mini website yet?

Still trying to get a non mini dealer to give me a better deal on a 2016 fully specced JCW but he wont budge :( lloyds in colne have a Cooper S in blue which looks really nice but has leather seats :(

losing interest in searching for a mini as some prices are silly and reasonably prices cars are poor specced

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE - bought a Cooper S 210 tonight :) 2018my with 12k, Moonwalk grey Pro exhaust, HK stereo and cloth seats, great price as i've been haggling for 2 weeks then left it and today they reduced the car by £1k so i phoned and snapped it up :
Good bits - Pro exhaust, 18" cup alloys, HK stereo, gloss black light surrounds
Downside - no sat nav (don't need it anyway), light headlining (wanted anthracite) and no climate (not bothered about that)

Picking it up next weekend so looking forward to the pops and bangs :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts