Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I don't yet have my shiny new JCW (but will have in two days' time!) Like any car I appreciate that fuel consumption will vary depending on driving style and mix of urban and motorway driving.

However, I'm really interested in what experience current JCW owners have in terms of fuel consumption. Is there a noticeable difference depending on whether in Sport, Mid or Economy driving mode? Does using Sport with frequency mean that consumption drops like a stone?

I believe the car only has a 44 litre usable fuel tank which isn't a lot, so hoping I'm not going to be visiting the forecourt more than I did with my last car.

I'll be pleased to provide my initial fuel consumption experiences once I've taken delivery, and put the car through its paces.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The Sport/Mid/Green modes don't inherently reduce fuel economy; the car still operates mostly at Stoich air/fuel ratio. The pedal sensitivity however changes, so you'll have to move your foot more or less to achieve the same torque output, except full throttle, where I've data-logged that the torque output is identical among all 3 modes.

Of course the irony of buying a JCW and then worrying about fuel consumption is not lost. That said, I'm observing noticeably better fuel economy than the USA EPA estimates, as logged in my Fuelly.

As for refueling intervals, unless your bladder is enormous, IMO such metrics are false. Some motorcycles need to refuel before 100 miles on the tank, and then a VW Passat TDI can go a bazillion miles (over 700 miles) on a tank. Yet this example only highlights that one fuel tank is 20x the size of the other.

Best of luck on your upcoming delivery. Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
608 Posts
In all seriousness, my opinion is that if you're that concerned about fuel consumption, the JCW is the wrong car.

It's fine, but modes make no difference unless you change your driving style to match. Green mode is impossible to live with, Normal is fine if you're a bit dull and Sport is what should be the JCW default. As Rye says, throttle sensitivity is increased so you're likely to burn a bit more in sport.

We get about 35mpg (uk) mixed use... with those lovely scots roads I think you'll get about the same..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks. I suppose I should have expected the comments that my question would attract but I am moving from a larger, heavier and sportier car than the JCW so I will get much better consumption than what I've had in recent times (21mpg urban). I fully intend to enjoy the car and am happy to sacrifice a few miles per gallon to get an enjoyable driving experience. However, it's good to get an appreciation for the best and worst fuel consumption I am likely to get.

I've opted for a manual car so imagine that the figures will be slightly different to those of the automatic, but this isn't something i'll lose any sleep over.

Combined figure of 35mpg (uk) sounds reasonable if you're using the car to it's potential.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ok 2150 miles 85% so far 2 mile 4 x per day or more and some weekend blasts and trip to Aberdeen 45 miles on the computer 31.8mpg for me with a cold engine on 85% of the runs and the engine still loosening up i think that is very good IMHO.
I think as above on combined routes 35mpg easy to achieve or drive it like granny and mid to late 30's can be had for sure but oh boy you will won't to blip the throttle to hear the nice sounds from his tail end, as its mandatory to be in sport at weekends its in the hand book lol
Or with me every journey in sport with window down 1/2 inch

·
Registered
457 Posts
Don't know about the rest of you but I have never used green mode on the road.
I have always thought it is really a waste of time. As far as mid mode goes I only use that until the car has warmed up.

I have switched between sport and mid when using cruise control just out of interest to compare fuel figures ( when bored) but you really need to be in sport all the time just in case>:D

Forgot.....the only time I put it in green is on tickover after start ...........for some reason the b/t exhaust has an even deeper tone in this mode with valve open Still haven't figured it out yet!

Overall on a mix of town,A&B roads and dual carriageway I have been sitting at 31.7mpg for months.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I guess I average about low 30's. It's very rare for me to go out and not, at some point, stick in sport & manual and use the paddles. On motorways when I'm not in a serious hurry, I normally get into the low 40's; on the M3 (with all the 50mph zones) I tend to get high 40's. But then I normally just give it a good blat to get the average where it should be ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Green mode will report the amount of extra km you gain and responds to driving style you save more if you drive gently. Typically you can save about 2km every 10km - or about 15 to 20% - no different than most vehicles I guess.

Green really runs the transmission such that it stay in higher gears and behaves very sluggishly (it can be disconcertingly slow to pick up speed behaving like a typical turbo diesel - unless you floor it)

I get around 9.5 litres/100km in city driving according to the computer in the MINI

Fuel economy is pretty good for such a sporty beast - but filling up with 94 octane is expensive and it runs best on 94. Also 94 here has ethanol which reduces fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
97 Posts
In all seriousness, my opinion is that if you're that concerned about fuel consumption, the JCW is the wrong car.
Agree, I'm up to about 1000 miles now and never checked. I'll re-activate mpg to display and report.

All I can say is it feels like I'm filling up less than I did in the Porsche.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Forgot.....the only time I put it in green is on tickover after start ...........for some reason the b/t exhaust has an even deeper tone in this mode with valve open Still haven't figured it out yet!
Yes. Green mode has a much deeper tone as I think it stays in 4th, 5th and 6th a lot and avoids first and second gear - rev counter stays below 2000 and the engine noise is reduced dramatically and all you hear is the low purr like from a happy cat. In sport mode you tend to be more in 2nd or 3rd in town but it will shift up eventually when cruising for a long while. Flooring for fast Acceleration in Green can be very uneven as the car needs to shift up two gears before the power from the turbo kicks in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agree, I'm up to about 1000 miles now and never checked. I'll re-activate mpg to display and report.

All I can say is it feels like I'm filling up less than I did in the Porsche.
32mpg, 300miles to a tank (98ron V-power fuel only)

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is really interesting. I've been wondering what I should expect from my new F56 JCW and how it would compare with my old R58 Coupe JCW. I've only had mine a few days and today was its first proper outing. My old R58 I used to get 42.4mpg on the trip ... worked out properly using fuel receipts etc it used to come out just under 41mpg which I didn't think was bad going for a JCW. My travelling is usually to and from work on 40 and 60 mph B roads, about 15 miles each way. I wouldn't say I go crazy but I don't hang about. Call it more 'spirited' driving lol. I'm usually travelling when there is not much else on the roads which helps as I rarely get stuck in traffic. I look forward to seeing what the new one does!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I guess I average low 30's. I have NEVER driven in that stupid Green mode, and tend to drive in Sport more often than not. On a Motorway I get around low 40's unless I'm in a hurry, around town, depending on my mood, I get get around 25.

However, the big game changer is not the modes (as mentioned) but the gearbox. I often drive in sport or manual, which holds on to the gears longer, allowing revs to climb, and drops down sooner, keeping the revs up for the next burst of acceleration. This is the area that kills any hope of keeping the MPG high.

But it's a JCW, it's meant to be driven, not kept to 2000 rpm..... And how will I get my daily burble fix if I don't give a bit of gas and come off the throttle ??

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have experimented with Shell V Power (91 octane no ethanol) and a local premium brand of 94 octane from PetroCan or Husky which includes 10% ethanol.

The JCW performs noticeably better with the 94 Octane. Cleaner exhaust and cleaner smell and much smoother and more go on 94 Octane.

I did not expect this result at all.

Those with a JCW would do well to try and compare local higher octane fuels - as it seems the JCW engine can really exploit it!

·
Registered
270 Posts
In the UK, Vpower is 99 RON. Never tried fuels with the addition of Ethanol and I'm not sure where in the UK you could find it.

Interesting article on Vpower in Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_V-Power
Ethanol will reduce the energy content and fuel efficiency but it reduces knock as it raises the octane. 91 is typically the highest available premium here but a few stations sell the ethanol blended 94 octane.

I am very surprised at the result. I think Shell V power is a fantastic fuel. I believe that the JCW programming in the ECU and engine is obviously able exploit the 94 octane as the difference is NOT subtle. I doubt this applies to other gasoline engines and my local fuels may not be the same as what others use - so I think your experience may vary.

94 octane in Canada is a RON of 101.5

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.